United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Superbowl Champions!
badge
It's an onion.
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphic novel that this game is based off of has been hard to find for a decent price. It looks like mycomicshop.com is restocking on it within a week or two. They sell for like $21 each, I think. https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=26218973

I'm sure everyone else will be dying to read up on this as the campaign goes on. I will try to post here again when I see them go live on the site. They do have a want list that you can add the book to in order to get an email notification.

But also, has anyone here read the graphic novel?? I am really excited to see it and see how they managed to make it into a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nowak
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I purchased book 1 and 2 from Amazon last week. Haven't had the chance to sit down and actually read them yet, but I love the art! I'm really looking forward to this game even more now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteedhayes wrote:
But also, has anyone here read the graphic novel?? I am really excited to see it and see how they managed to make it into a board game.

Adrian Smith is a fantastic illustrator. As an illustrator, he is great at telling a story in a single picture. Sadly, like many other great illustrators, he's not particularly good at translating his form of storytelling to the comicbook medium, which is a very different method of telling a story.
Also, since every page has several images, each one does not get the same level of detailed finish that a single illustration would have. (It would have taken many more years to finish, if every image had the same detail degree as some of his other work), and sadly this makes the whole thing look a bit unfinished (and waaay too dark for my tastes).
All in all, an okay read, but a bit of a wasted opportunity.

Just so you know where I'm coming from with this, I may be a boardgamegeek, but comic books/graphic storytelling is the first love of my life, and I've been reading and collecting for over forty years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Harris
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey guys, a little late to respond here but if anyone is still lokming to read the backstory of HATE, tfaw.com has vol. 1 & 2 for $15 & $20 respectively. Great website and you usually can get free shipping if you google coupons for them. Hope it helps some of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to this, I asked CMON on Twitter about possibly adding these to the KS and they eluded to that most likely happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the hullabaloo, I read volume 1 on comicextra.com

My observations

1)The graphic violence is minimal. There is one scene of a decapitation and there is a scene where somebody gets their eyeballs plucked out (not shown). Many other comics are much more graphically violent. Walking Dead comes to mind. It's interesting how we did not get a ton of threads about how the Walking Dead games were causing our society to crumble

2)As far as I could tell, there were no depictions of cannibalism. It is implied the eyeball from above is eaten but I think it serves a magical purpose

3)The art style is interesting but it makes it hard to tell what's going on sometimes. It's black and white and everybody looks somewhat similar. There is almost no dialogue and almost no exposition

4)There are a number of beasts and other fantastical creatures that don't appear to be in the KS at all

5)Yes the world appears to be dark, but it otherwise appears to be just like any fantasy plot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:

1)The graphic violence is minimal. There is one scene of a decapitation and there is a scene where somebody gets their eyeballs plucked out (not shown). Many other comics are much more graphically violent. Walking Dead comes to mind. It's interesting how we did not get a ton of threads about how the Walking Dead games were causing our society to crumble

2)As far as I could tell, there were no depictions of cannibalism. It is implied the eyeball from above is eaten but I think it serves a magical purpose

3)The art style is interesting but it makes it hard to tell what's going on sometimes. It's black and white and everybody looks somewhat similar. There is almost no dialogue and almost no exposition

4)There are a number of beasts and other fantastical creatures that don't appear to be in the KS at all

5)Yes the world appears to be dark, but it otherwise appears to be just like any fantasy plot
Yup that seems to be what everyone is saying. It's an odd choice to market the game with the focus they chose. I imagine the rules as they currently are do not really support anything but normal men and women which is also sad, as I believe adding some of these beasts would be very beneficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesús Chacón
Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The comics are amazing. I love it. I recommend them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.