Hako Onna (ハコオンナ)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need help for item card translation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eakarat Huangwongsri
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools

Hi, I have been doing approximate translation of this game rule but the only issue I have right now are item cards which can't be translated through google translation.

Therefore, I would like to ask if there's anyone who could help me?
Thx you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can transcribe the text itself, but I would rather leave the translation to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eakarat Huangwongsri
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
Thank you for ur kind support, Sorg UR. I'm really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alice13th wrote:
Thank you for ur kind support, Sorg UR. I'm really appreciate it.

No problem!

I must go to work now, but I will write them all here later.

Here is the first one:

箱女が潜む部屋を教えてくれる
ポックリさん

[image of a Kokkuri-san or Japanese Ouija board]

同室内に訪問者がいる時のみ行動消費で使用可能。
「ポックリさん、箱女は部屋Xにいますか?」と質問する。
箱女は、首を縦か、横に振って回答する。
質問時、同室に箱女がいた場合、所持者は死ぬ。

いつのまにかポケットに入っていた紙切れ。

The second one:

箱女がいる階を探知する
ダウジングロッド

[image of a pair of dowsing rods]

行動消費して使用した場合、箱女のプレイヤーは両手の人差し指で
順に各階を指し示し、自らの居る階で両人差し指を外側に向け存在を示す。
調査時、同室に箱女がいた場合、使用者は死ぬ。

超常能力研究会に放置されていたOBの所有物。

The third one:

最先端電子機器
スマートフォン

[image of a smartphone]

行動消費で使用。
その時点で箱女がセットしている力のうち1つか、箱女の手札1枚を覗き見ることができる。
撮影時、同室に箱女がいた場合、スマートフォンの効果は得られず使用者は死ぬ。

撮影した画像に少女が......

The fourth one:

金庫の鍵を開けることができる
聴診器

[image of a stethoscope]

聴診器を所持している訪問者がダイヤル式金庫を覗き込み、鍵番号を3つではなく1つだけ宣言した場合、金庫カード上に該当する番号チップがあれば、そのチップはオモテになる。
そのアイテムはゲーム中に1度しか使用できない。

こんなものを持ち歩くのは、医者かあるいは......。

The fifth one:

化物がいない場所を特定する
演繹的推理法

[image of a book]

自身が覗き込んだ物陰チップを空箱に置き換える際、オモテ面(Xの側)を上にして置くことができる。[sic]*
(オモテ面が上でも、再び覗き込むことは可能)
箱女と箱人は、部屋に侵入した際、これらのチップを裏向きに戻してもよい。

探偵小説の考え方が、少しは役に立つかもしれない。

*this should be 「上にして置くことができる」.

And finally, the sixth and last one:

弱いチカラを一時的に封じる
深菱神社の鈴

[image of a bell]

所持者は手番に物音トークンを、積めるなら2つ積んでもよい。
トークンを2つ積めた後の最初の箱女の時間には、訪問者は「フカビシ フカビシ···」とまじないを唱えることが出来、その詠唱があった時間、箱女は危険度BとCのチカラをセットすることができない。

初詣で買った魔除けの鈴。よく響く澄んだ音がする。

... and that's it.

Hope you can use it.

Edit: thanks for
prairial ledeux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmb
for the corrections!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eakarat Huangwongsri
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
Kokkuri-san

This item can only be used when there are more than 1 visitor in the same room. Then the item owner asks "Kokkuri-san, are you in a room X?"

The box woman player must answers the question by shaking its head vertically or sideways.

However, if the ghost is in the same room with this item owner at the time of questioning, the owner would die.

Flavor text: The box woman tells me the room she lurks. Before we knew it was out of paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that instead of Kokkuri-san, the word Pokkuri-san is used. This might be a pun.
Pokkuri meas “suddenly” as in “sudden death”.

“The box woman tells me the room she lurks.” - as you translated it, is not a flavour text, but the title of the card.

The actual flavour text 「いつのまにかポケットに入っていた紙切れ。」 however, does not mean “Before we knew it was out of paper.”, but rather something like “Before noticing it, there was a scrap of paper in my pocket.”.

Never trust Google translation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eakarat Huangwongsri
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
I really agree about google translate but sadly that it's only way for me to understand how to play Japanese boardgame.

Thx you so much for your explanation <3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alice13th wrote:
I really agree about google translate but sadly that it's only way for me to understand how to play Japanese boardgame.

Thx you so much for your explanation <3

This is definitely not an easy one to play without actual Japanese proficiency! Translating it by Google may result in some confusion...

Anyway, I'm happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eakarat Huangwongsri
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
Thank you again for your kindness. I will post my rough translated rulebook after I done it. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alice13th wrote:
Thank you again for your kindness. I will post my rough translated rulebook after I done it. laugh

You're welcome!

I don't have this game, but I'm glad to know that I'm not alone here with my taste!

Currently, I'm more into Ghost Hunter 13: The Tile Game.
Unfortunately, it's too language dependent, and only 2 of its scenarios are available in languages other than Japanese.

I'm also interested in other Japanese games like Blind Mythos, Dorasure, Road to Imladris, Ushimitsu, Cthulhu Horror, Monster Maker, but all of them have only partial translations...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prairial ledeux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I look forward to see the translation and many English people find Hako Onna fun!
Maybe I can check the translation as a Japanese.

By the way, which version are you translating? It seems 3rd version or older because stethoscope can be used only once.
(In the latest version 4, it can be used more than once.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saison_gracieus wrote:
I look forward to see the translation and many English people find Hako Onna fun!

By the way, which version are you translating? It seems 3rd version or older because stethoscope can be used only once.

I would add that not only "English people" find Hako Onna fun! Actually, most of us liking it are non-English.
I hope it will get many localizations, and translated into many languages other than English as well.

Prairial Ledeux, I have a favour to ask: could you please - as a Japanese - spell-check my card text transcriptions? I think they are correct, but I'd like to be sure about it.
Also, there is a phrase I feel grammatically erroneous somehow: 「オモテ面(Xの側)を上にしてに置くことができる。」 (note the part marked in red letters).
よろしくお願いしますね!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prairial ledeux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmb
sorgur wrote:

Prairial Ledeux, I have a favour to ask: could you please - as a Japanese - spell-check my card text transcriptions? I think they are correct, but I'd like to be sure about it.

Sure!

sorgur wrote:

超常能力研究会に、放置されていたOBの所有物。

There's an extra "、", but no problem in grammer.
sorgur wrote:

箱女は厄除度BとCのチカラをセットすることができない。

This should be "危険度" (rate of danger).

sorgur wrote:

Also, there is a phrase I feel grammatically erroneous somehow: 「オモテ面(Xの側)を上にしてに置くことができる。」 (note the part marked in red letters).
よろしくお願いしますね!

Yeah, you are right. This should be
オモテ面(Xの側)を上にして置くことができる。
and this erratum is left even in latest version(4th edition).
I will send a report message to designer .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your corrections!

Looks like I need some more kanji practice.blush
Still can't believe I mistyped 危険 for 厄除, though! Damn those small strokes!shake
Well, at least I noticed an actual grammar error...whistle

I edited the original post crediting you at the end of it.
Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eakarat Huangwongsri
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
saison_gracieus wrote:

Hi prairial ledeux.
The version I used for translation was 2nd Edition. I downloaded them from their official website. I often prefer pdf than real rulebook when working on translation because google translate has a lots of issue when I tried to scan the text on those cards and rule paper. xD

Tbh, Hako Onna is the most difficult work for me since there are a lots of Hirakana, Kanji and fancy font that can't be detected by translating program.

Glad to have more ppl helping correct the rule and translation.

sorgur wrote:
Alice13th wrote:

You're welcome!

I don't have this game, but I'm glad to know that I'm not alone here with my taste!

Currently, I'm more into Ghost Hunter 13: The Tile Game.
Unfortunately, it's too language dependent, and only 2 of its scenarios are available in languages other than Japanese.

I'm also interested in other Japanese games like Blind Mythos, Dorasure, Road to Imladris, Ushimitsu, Cthulhu Horror, Monster Maker, but all of them have only partial translations...

Hi sorgur,
Those games you mentioned are also on my wish list but the language issue is a huge barrier. Btw, I think you should get Hako Onna too if you would like to try it. It's easy to order through Japan online store. (I often got many interesting Japanese board game from there so you should try to check it out.) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alice13th wrote:

Hi sorgur,
Those games you mentioned are also on my wish list but the language issue is a huge barrier. Btw, I think you should get Hako Onna too if you would like to try it. It's easy to order through Japan online store. (I often got many interesting Japanese board game from there so you should try to check it out.) laugh

I do own most of them, but unfortunately they are mostly just collecting dust, and rarely hit the table...
Language barrier is one thing, but to me it's hard to find the right party to play such "unknown" games, especially if they cannot understand any Japanese.
Af for Hako Onna, it would be more difficult, because just like in case of Mansions of Madness, Betrayal at House on the Hill, The Fury of Dracula, Mysterium, Descent: Journeys in the Dark, etc. - I really like those titles, but whenever I propose them for play, no one wants to be the Bad Guy...
Luckily, there is no such thing in Ghost Hunter 13: The Tile Game! It's a really good game. However, the scenarios have a lot of text (of course), and only 2 of them had been translated this far (and only to English!). Anyway, I absolutely recommend it! And once you have it, we might make another translation project of it here on BGG.

May I ask you which online store you order from?
I know about a handful of them, but their shipping fees are usually terrifying when it comes to Europe!
Not to mention that most of the Japanese games I am interested in are heavily language dependant, and there would be a considerable amount of posterior work with them (including translation itself, in the first place) before I could actually put them on the table! And even after that, the other afore-mentioned issues come in... so all in all, liking Japanese games isn't really an effective hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eakarat Huangwongsri
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
sorgur wrote:
Alice13th wrote:

Hi sorgur,

I do own most of them, but unfortunately they are mostly just collecting dust, and rarely hit the table...
Language barrier is one thing, but to me it's hard to find the right party to play such "unknown" games, especially if they cannot understand any Japanese.
Af for Hako Onna, it would be more difficult, because just like in case of Mansions of Madness, Betrayal at House on the Hill, The Fury of Dracula, Mysterium, Descent: Journeys in the Dark, etc. - I really like those titles, but whenever I propose them for play, no one wants to be the Bad Guy...
Luckily, there is no such thing in Ghost Hunter 13: The Tile Game! It's a really good game. However, the scenarios have a lot of text (of course), and only 2 of them had been translated this far (and only to English!). Anyway, I absolutely recommend it! And once you have it, we might make another translation project of it here on BGG.

May I ask you which online store you order from?
I know about a handful of them, but their shipping fees are usually terrifying when it comes to Europe!
Not to mention that most of the Japanese games I am interested in are heavily language dependant, and there would be a considerable amount of posterior work with them (including translation itself, in the first place) before I could actually put them on the table! And even after that, the other afore-mentioned issues come in... so all in all, liking Japanese games isn't really an effective hobby!

Don't let those text wall from Hako onna scared you away. The game itself is completely different from Mansion of Madness which relies on telling story. Hako Onna is more like reversed hide and seek game. Visitor just keep exploring house by flip up the chips and find key item to clear the game while avoid not to open the box woman chip. (box woman player will move this chip to a new place every turn while visitors closing their eyes.

After you learn the rule and how to set up, there's almost no language dependent in the game except effect of those item cards and 10 box woman power cards. Therefore as long as the owner of the game knows how to use those cards and can explain them to the visitor players. You can run this game without issue.

For Japanese game, I oredered it from https://www.suruga-ya.jp/ but if you live in Europe I recommend https://www.nicegameshop.com/. They sale board game from Asia which almost of them are rarely to find in western market, especially game from Japan and Korea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alice13th wrote:

Don't let those text wall from Hako onna scared you away. The game itself is completely different from Mansion of Madness which relies on telling story. Hako Onna is more like reversed hide and seek game. Visitor just keep exploring house by flip up the chips and find key item to clear the game while avoid not to open the box woman chip. (box woman player will move this chip to a new place every turn while visitors closing their eyes.

After you learn the rule and how to set up, there's almost no language dependent in the game except effect of those item cards and 10 box woman power cards. Therefore as long as the owner of the game knows how to use those cards and can explain them to the visitor players. You can run this game without issue.

For Japanese game, I oredered it from https://www.suruga-ya.jp/ but if you live in Europe I recommend https://www.nicegameshop.com/. They sale board game from Asia which almost of them are rarely to find in western market, especially game from Japan and Korea.

Oh, I'm not scared of any "text walls", at all! I'd sit down and play any game I like, even if it has text in Sumerian or Scythian!
It's just that I prefer RPG-ish games with a story behind them (like Mansions of Madness or Ghost Hunter 13: The Tile Game), but I also like J-Horror as a genre.
When I was in Japan this spring, I saw some folks playing Hako Onna, and I myself gave it a few tries, too. I did like it, but found it a bit expensive, and knowing that I'd probably be left alone with it at home didn't help, either.

Thanks for the links! I know Suruga-ya, as well as Yellow Submarine and Mandarake, but I never knew they would ship overseas. Shipping would still cost pretty expensive, I reckon.
I wasn't aware of Nice Game Shop, though. Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eakarat Huangwongsri
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
I have uploaded a rough rulebook. hope u guy don't mind to check it out. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/156977/hako-onna-english-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prairial ledeux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alice13th wrote:

The version I used for translation was 2nd Edition. I downloaded them from their official website. I often prefer pdf than real rulebook when working on translation because google translate has a lots of issue when I tried to scan the text on those cards and rule paper. xD

Choosing 2nd Edition is rather better than 4th Edition because everyone can see the original rulebook and check. I think there're not so many changes between 2nd and 4th.

Alice13th wrote:

Tbh, Hako Onna is the most difficult work for me since there are a lots of Hirakana, Kanji and fancy font that can't be detected by translating program.

I thought that would be the problem because we can't just extract text from the pdf rulebook. I will send a bgg message to you and hope it helps you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prairial ledeux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alice13th wrote:
I have uploaded a rough rulebook. hope u guy don't mind to check it out. :)https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/156977/hako-onna-english-...

Great work!
I haven't looked all of them, but maybe I should add name of powers of Hako Onna. They all consist of only katakana and difficult to read for non-Japanese people.

アナタノソバニ
direct:(be) close to you
my suggestion:CLOSE TO YOU

スグニイクカラ
direct:because I'm going soon
my suggestion:GOING SOON

アカナイトビラ
direct:door which won't open
my suggestion:DOOR WON'T OPEN

モノガウゴク
direct:things move
my suggestion:THINGS MOVING

ウシロニイル
direct:(be) behind
my suggestion:BEHIND YOU

ココヲアケテ
direct:(please) open here
my suggestion:OPEN HERE

ソノコガホシイ
direct:I want that (girl, child or baby)
my suggestion:I WANT IT

ワタシメリーサン
direct:I'm Mary
my suggestion:I'M MARY

イツワリノコタエ
direct:false answer
my suggestion:FALSE ANSWER

デンワガナル
direct:the phone rings
my suggestion:PHONE RINGS

ゼツボウノジカン
direct:time of despair
my suggestion:TIME OF DESPAIR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prairial ledeux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've read only "Setup Manual" and have some corrections.
Quote:

from the visitor player on the left of the box game player

from the visitor player on the left of the Hako Onna player

Quote:

left of the game box

left of the Hako Onna player

Quote:

group corresponding to 1F Hall

group corresponding to 1F

Quote:

8.Put the "Key Ring" chip on the explanation safe card.

8.Put the "Key Ring" chip on the safe of Explanation Card.

between 9 and 10
Quote:

we arrange the chips that the visitor player knows that the game will not be established

we arrange the chips which would make game unestablished if the visitor player know where.
(Sorry if MY English is wrong...)

Quote:

vault chip

safe chip

Also, I have a suggestion about translation of "箱人"(person or people in box).
I think using Hako Bito (directly from Japanese) would be better because "Boxer" means player of boxing or person who put something into box.

I will continue reading the translation later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prairial ledeux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I skipped some parts and read Visitor Item Cards section next.

Quote:

Pokkuri

Pokkuri-san
(just same as description)

Quote:

if the ghost is in the same room with this item owner at the time of questioning, the dies.

if Hako Onna is in the same room with this item owner at the time of questioning, the owner dies.

"ghost" is not a good translation because 箱人(Hako Bito) in the same room don't kill the owner.
Just using "Hako Onna" for 箱女 is the best.
(same as dowsing rods, smartphone)
Also, please note that only owner dies but the visitor in the same room.

Quote:

Dowsing rod

Dowsing rods

Quote:

Furushiba's bell

Fukabishi Shrine's bell
Quote:

"Mr. Fukabishi fukabishi ...",

"Fukabishi fukabishi ...",
I heard the name "Fukabishi" came from 不可(fuka, impossible) B, C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saison_gracieus wrote:

I heard the name "Fukabishi" came from 不可(fuka, impossible) B, C.

In fact, Fukabishi is written as 深菱, as in 深菱神社の鈴.
I understand that - as a pun - フカ could be written as 不可 (and thus mean impossible), too, but in this particular case I guess the spell itself might be a reference to the shrine's name and/or to its background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some time and thought I would tinker a bit, so I made the English versions of the 6 cards. I used your translation as a source, but made some slight changes in it here and there (mostly where it was required).

So, this is what it looks like:

How do you like it?

I don’t know if it’s okay to just put it here like this (I wouldn’t be surprised if it required some permission), but anyway, here it is!

You can include it in your translation if you want. All it needs is to print it out, cut it to size, and put it into sleeves in front of the original cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.