Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm not normally a person interested in solo gaming but recently I began toying with the idea of whether Portal Of Heroes could be played solo and came up with an idea where the player must reach 15 Power Points (the former 12 proved too easy in play tests) before the Pearl deck is exhausted (there is no reshuffling of the Pearl deck) and to make rounds relevant in solo play a card is discarded from the Pearl deck at the end of each round.

(1) Remove from play the 7 cards that affect other players; the 2 Medusa cards (3 cards equalling 7), the 2 Fairy cards (567), the 2 Will-O-The-Wisp cards (333/666 and 444/555) and the Wraith card (two pairs).

(2) At the end of each round discard a card from the Pearl deck.

(3) When the Pearl deck is exhausted it is now the final round (you cannot remove and replace the remaining Pearl cards as an action as there are none to replace them now).

(4) If you reach 15 Power Points you have won and saved the world of Molthar!

If you win mid-game you may still continue until the final round to achieve a personal best.

You may look through the discarded Pearl deck to see what numbers are left in the deck and whether a Character Card can be scored or not (there are 7 of each number).

The diamond tie-break rule in a solo game is now redundant, although it could still go towards a personal best (e.g.: 16 and a diamond is better than 16 and no diamonds).

Below is a variant where the 7 removed Character cards are now included but have different special abilities.

Medusa: when scored you must discard one of the two Character cards from the display and replace it with a new one.

Fairy: when scored you pick a number of cards equal to your hand size from the Pearl deck's discard pile, keep one and discard the others.

Will-O-The-Wisp: you can only take this from the Character card display if you can score it with the next action (which you must do). If drawn blind from the Character deck then this condition does not apply and it can be scored at any point during the game.

Wraith: you have one less action the following round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eden Gillen
Canada
flag msg tools
I just found this game at a garage sale and would like to learn it for solo play (I unfortunately have no one to play with). Could you be more specific about how you're playing it solo? Help a newbie out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Set the game up as normal but beforehand remove the Character Cards that affect other players (listed in my opening post) as there are no other players and so they are redundant. Or you could leave them in if playing the variant I mentioned.

After you finish each round discard a Pearl Card from the deck. I made this rule because rounds need to be finite and adds relevance to the cards that give you extra actions per turn (e.g.: Little Red Riding Hood and the Golem).

When the Pearl Deck is exhausted it is the end of the game. You do not reshuffle it and continue. This is because the game needs to have finite rounds otherwise you could just sit there flushing the Pearl deck until you came up with the numbers you want, cycling through several Pearl decks until you found them.

The win condition is 15 instead of 12. (In my limited play tests I found that 12 was too easy.) But if you reach 15 mid game you could continue until the Pearl deck is exhausted just to achieve a personal best.

Are you allowed to look through the discarded Pearl deck to work out what numbers are left in the deck and whether a Character Card can be scored (as there are 7 of each number)? Yes. (I forgot to mention this in my opening post and will edit it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.