Fallout» Forums » General

Subject: Piper companion misprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone else feel it strange that Piper's card can be kept if you are vilified, and not idolized? Anyone who has played with her as a companion in Fallout 4 would probably understand what I mean. Her alignment definitely leans on the good side. I'm wondering if maybe the card was misprinted with the wrong word? What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Very weird. The real (?) Piper loves everything selfless you do and hates everything cruel you do. So an odd design choice indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had the same thought. Maybe she thinks the bad guys make for a better news story and wants to follow them around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sea Specter wrote:
Does anyone else feel it strange that Piper's card can be kept if you are vilified, and not idolized?

The Ghoul is Villified but it doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I think it just means that he's hated by people which Piper sorta was in FO4. Hated so much she was kicked out of Diamond City and, from her dialog, people refused to talk to her.

I don't know for sure, because I haven't searched to find which cards grant the Villified status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hedgehobbit wrote:
Sea Specter wrote:
Does anyone else feel it strange that Piper's card can be kept if you are vilified, and not idolized?

The Ghoul is Villified but it doesn't mean he's a bad guy. I think it just means that he's hated by people which Piper sorta was in FO4. Hated so much she was kicked out of Diamond City and, from her dialog, people refused to talk to her.

I don't know for sure, because I haven't searched to find which cards grant the Villified status.

That's a fair point, but the cards I've seen so far have good actions making you idolized, and bad ones make you vilified. Despite Piper not being well liked in game, I still doubt she'd follow around someone who picks the bad choices.

I don't know, it feels like a slight immersion breaker for me. Not a big deal, I think I'll just house rule she follows idolized since I play mainly solo anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sea Specter wrote:
I don't know, it feels like a slight immersion breaker for me. Not a big deal, I think I'll just house rule she follows idolized since I play mainly solo anyways.

There are already several companions that require Idolized. Piper's use of Villified is probably just a game balance thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rosenbaum
msg tools
Hedgehobbit wrote:

I recently got this game and was also confused by this.

The Ghoul "might" be an exception, but usually Villified means you are a bad person. That's what I figured from the options I got during encounters in this game.

She was only hated by the mayor of the city, who wasn't a good person at all (not to spoil too much about him).
Some people in Diamond City didn't like the fact that she only printed bad news, but I haven't heard about her actually getting kicked out of Diamond City, nor that she was completely ignored or whatever.

She is definitely one of the good guys. So I guess it's a balance issue.
Maybe someone can make variants for all companions, so that they can actually fight, while I hide in a corner with all my courage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it say “keep this companion when it unexhausts if you are vilified”? Are companions supposed to be trashed when they unexhaust? Is that what it’s implying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Corlett
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
I brought this without thinking it through
badge
I don't have to explain my art to you
mbmbmbmbmb
We house-ruled this... now she unexhausts UNLESS you're vilified.

alamb1101 wrote:
Why does it say “keep this companion when it unexhausts if you are vilified”? Are companions supposed to be trashed when they unexhaust? Is that what it’s implying?

Every companion has a condition, and if the condition isn't met, the companion leaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In journalism bad news sells, good news doesn't.

Hanging around with someone who is villified is going to give her more to report than someone who is idolized.

Also you're not playing the "Sole Survivor" but rather a survivor.

I'm happy to play the card as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Reeves
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No. I thought it was on target.

Chose Piper as a companion. Walk-around the wasteland with her. She will interact with the NPCs. The comments she makes to the wastelander, and the dialogue with the NPC describes her personality. She was not well liked at all. Vilified might be a strong word, but it fits the game.

Vilified:
The Mayor hated Piper, he even tried to keep her out of Diamond City
Citizens view her as a nuisance
As a reporting she is always digging into places she is not
Her goal in writing about the Institute, the truth behind the kidnapping stories is not in the 'best interest' of the community
She has spent time in jail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rosenbaum
msg tools
jokeroz wrote:
In journalism bad news sells, good news doesn't...

In the video game, the people of Diamond City complained to her: "Why don't you write something nice for a change?" So, bad journalism doesn't sell here.

You could argue that she also appears in the board game on other places. Hey, whatever.

Temujinjr wrote:
No. I thought it was on target.

Chose Piper as a companion. Walk-around the wasteland with her. She will interact with the NPCs. The comments she makes to the wastelander, and the dialogue with the NPC describes her personality. She was not well liked at all. Vilified might be a strong word, but it fits the game.

Vilified:
The Mayor hated Piper, he even tried to keep her out of Diamond City
Citizens view her as a nuisance
As a reporting she is always digging into places she is not
Her goal in writing about the Institute, the truth behind the kidnapping stories is not in the 'best interest' of the community
She has spent time in jail

The Mayor is a
Spoiler (click to reveal)
synth
Of course he doesn't want anyone to investigate.

Citizens don't like her posting bad news all the time. That's not much of being a nuisance.

Unless you want a community where everyone is a synth, then investigating The Institute IS in the best interest for the community.

(I sound like a Piper fanboy... I'm not complaining)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reffy wrote:
jokeroz wrote:
In journalism bad news sells, good news doesn't...

In the video game, the people of Diamond City complained to her: "Why don't you write something nice for a change?" So, bad journalism doesn't sell here.

I'd argue that if they are complaining about it, then they are reading it, which in turn means someone has bought it.....so yes bad news sells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.