Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Petra + Barbarian movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this is in the rules and I just overlooked it, but what happens when a Barbarian moves into a city or fortified control token and the owner has built Petra? Does the Barbarian simply not move, or does it act like a boundary of the map, and reverse direction?

We played as the latter and it didn't really impact the game any, but we want to play correctly.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, we played that they do not move. Since the instructions say "cannot move into" we just interpreted it as a non-move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I assumed it reversed direction mainly because of this blurb:

"If a barbarian reverses direction due to the edge of the map or
a reinforced control token ..."

It doesn't address Petra specifically, but it helped me imply as much. If reinforced control tokens bounce them back the other way (specifically if they move through water), I figure it applies elsewhere too. I could be wrong, though. I do hope we get official clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case they attempted to move into a city, so it wasn't covered by that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I shipped off a large list of questions to FFG after my first go-through of the rules, and this was included. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a response today.

Quote:
In the case of the Petra, if the barbarian would move into a space containing one of that player’s reinforced control tokens, the barbarian should move in the opposite direction instead. This will be added to an upcoming FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.