Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Post and vent about your delivery nightmares here

UPS#1

I'll start it off. I ordered Dice Forge from Barnes & Noble with their recent Black Friday sale. It goes by UPS. I have a UPS account so everything to my address gets immediately rerouted to a UPS store for pickup. It makes it to Cincinnati, is "out for delivery" on 1 day, does not get delivered. The 2nd day is "out for delivery" again and fails to make it. Then it says "The receiver has canceled the product order and refused delivery". Calls to both the local hub (before it was "refused") and to the main customer service (with a 30 min hold) reveal that they have no idea where it is and cannot do anything about it. How can they fail to deliver the package to one of their access points, how can one of their access points refuse delivery? It was interesting watching the tracking on the package make its way back yet they still had no idea where it was. Luckily, B&N simply sent another one

Also, the only way to email a complaint to UPS is an email via their website. However, it's limited to 500 characters which is only about 80 words or so. It's difficult to explain the situation in 500 characters.

UPS#2?

I received a shipping notice for a KS project on 12/5. I realize those usually take a day or 2 before they actually ship, but 4 days later nothing still no movement. I have a bad feeling about this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keenon Lindsey
United States
Nacogdoches
Texas
flag msg tools
Not after Midnight.
badge
Not after Midnight.
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother decided to drop most of his board game collection recently and sent me two large boxes through UPS. They looked like they had been used as punching bags. Watched the driver roll one of the boxes down the steps out of the truck. There were a lot of depressing moments going through them. The one that got me the most was an unplayed Kickstarter coy of Fallen having two corners completely busted so one entire side of the box is coming off. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krigbaum
United States
JBER
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:
Post and vent about your delivery nightmares here

UPS#2?

I received a shipping notice for a KS project on 12/5. I realize those usually take a day or 2 before they actually ship, but 4 days later nothing still no movement. I have a bad feeling about this one

I see this one a lot actually. They probably have a UPS account and print their own labels; when the label is created it shows up in the system. They probably create labels all at once or in batches ahead of time so when the boxes are ready they slap the label on and drop off at UPS or UPS picks up from them. It can take them a while after creating the label to actually ship the package.

My own delivery nightmares:

I just moved so no longer deal with this, but we didn't have a USPS employee delivering mail at my old house, we had a contracted guy that delivered our mail. He would scan all the packages when he picked them up from the PO and mark them as delivered before he left the parking lot. It didn't matter how many complaints we made, that's just the way he did it.

Second one was during the move. We moved from NC to AK. The moving company packed up everything we owned, loaded it onto a truck, and we didn't see it again for over two months. We were told when they picked it up that it would take them two to three weeks. After the scheduled delivery date came and went we started twice a week phone calls to check on it. After three weeks of "It's just waiting to be loaded onto a barge to be brought up from Washington" it changed to "We'll call you when we know more." We started calling daily at that point. It all finally showed up minus one box that thankfully only had bed linens in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Moyer
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying. -Woody Allen
mbmbmbmbmb
My postal carrier delivered a copy of Empire Builder to our house, and chose to place the box on the ground outside my garage. Not on the stoop next to my garage, but literally on the ground behind where my right rear wheel was. Guess what happened to that box when I backed out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablito A
msg tools
mb
A friend of mine was in labor for 16+ hours with twins.

Not mine, but sure qualifies as a nightmare in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Parcel delivery is up dramatically this holiday season. It is by far the heaviest I have ever seen it in my twelve years working for USPS.

At our station management has asked us to begin work at 6:00 (vs 7:30 which had been our start time). We spend an hour and a half loading our vehicles and delivering as much post as we can before coming back and doing our routes. Not infrequently we are being forced overtime on other routes for carriers who are sick or on vacation or routes that don't have assigned carriers right now.

I've never been asked to come in early to do parcel delivery before. Or even had it offered as potential overtime. Not even as a PTF (when OT is a requisite).

But we actually have it pretty good at our station. On /r/USPS I see that many carriers are working until 10-10:30pm, and our station manager informed us that last weekend over thirty carriers were out past midnight in NYC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gosland
Australia
Hoddles Creek
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must lead a charmed life, even thou, due to my location all my purchases are online, I've experience nothing more alarming than a misdirected package, it was actually amusing following the tracking information it as it toured the country, eventually it arrived intact. One comment on people moving house, pack a GPS locator so that you will always know where at least part of your possessions are, I can't however guarantee you'll ever see the rest of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan O'Toole
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
All I need is 1 more boardgame...always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it counts as a delivery nightmare, but I made an ebay purchase of Star Wars Rebellion a couple months ago, and it was delivered in an unpadded UPS bag. Box was dented in 8 different places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a package stolen off my doorstep two weeks ago. USPS said it was scanned "delivered" so nothing they could/would do. Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
We have a wonderful postman who always knocks to let us know a package has arrived. We have a wonderful UPS driver who often gets to our house after 8pm. He also still knocks and smiles when we come to the door. When either of these two fine gentlemen are on vacation, apparently confusion reigns.
We have gotten to know our neighbors quite well by redelivering each other's packages during these times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
My game was stuck in Indian customs for 3 months
One day the postman delivered the parcel to my home, usually they require us to come to the post office to pick up big boxes, surprisingly they didn't even charge customs
I was so happy
Till I found out why
Rats had eaten through the carton and game box while sitting in the customs warehouse
Luckily the game was unnibbled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
^^^Oh dang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nukeu666 wrote:
My game was stuck in Indian customs for 3 months
One day the postman delivered the parcel to my home, usually they require us to come to the post office to pick up big boxes, surprisingly they didn't even charge customs
I was so happy
Till I found out why
Rats had eaten through the carton and game box while sitting in the customs warehouse
Luckily the game was unnibbled

/Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a letter carrier for Canada Post. The week before the week of Black Friday beat the peak week last year for volume of parcels. I truly hope the corporation hires more people as the situation will only get more unmanageable in coming years.
It's the nature of change: slowly then quickly.
If you have delivery requirements please let the seller know. They're the ones paying for delivery and it's their wishes we follow.
In addition to required signatures there is an option called "Do not safe drop". A parcel will be carded for pickup at a local retail outlet. There's also a "Flex Delivery" option that will route deliveries for you to a different RPO if you want if you find it more convenient.
A safe drop is leaving a parcel at the house. This isn't done when the carrier believes it to be a bad neighbourhood or in an apt. I won't do it for parcels that fit in a backpack or under the arm of a cyclist unless they fit in the mailbox. Large, heavy boxes requiring both arms to carry are not typical snatch items. Attempts will be made to leave things out of sight, behind storm doors, at side or rear doors or behind porch items.
With current volumes I'm having to be more flexible with deliveries. The past couple of weeks have seen several days where my delivery van has been packed completely full to the ceiling with parcels and my first few deliveries have resembled archaeological digs. Literally full; not figuratively!
The community mailboxes that Canada Post was converting over to have really proven their worth with the parcel compartments. There are also special parcel only units that can be pout into apt. bldgs. People might want to bug their landlords into getting them.
Finally I will ask people to carefully wrap and attach labels. I've unloaded shipments of parcels only to find a shipping label unattached at the bottom. Also, please thoroughly remove old labels if you're reusing a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The postman rang at my door on Wednesday. Since I wasn't there he took it to the post office for me to pick up.
Because of a wedding though I wasn't able to pick it up on Saturday as usual (yes, my post office is closed except between 9 AM and 12 AM. Too bad I am not home from 7 AM to 5 PM right?), and of course, Friday, day on which I was available, it is exceptionnaly close.
So I ask the post office to transfer it to the next town.
The website tells me I can go there on Friday.
So I do.
But they haven't got it.
Never received it.
Because it was sent back to the expedient, since apparently I took to long to pick it up. Which is: on the very day of delivery.
So I call and file a complain.

That was more than two months ago.
I checked back to the post office last week and apparently, the day after I filed my complaint, the parcel made it to the post office.
Since I was never told of this, it then was sent back to the expediant two weeks later.
Now it's somewhere, waiting for its customary 60 days to be sent back. And I'm waiting for it still.

I'm happy. I love La Poste.
Who, in France, doesn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This is an odd one. I ordered a copy of Broom Service fulfilled by Amazon. The game arrived as fast as usual and the delivery box was in perfect condition. Inside though I found this:

The shrinkwrap was torn and one whole side of the box lid ripped loose at the edges so it folded up like a flap.

Stranger still the shrinkwrap at one corner was intact so somehow the side of the lid had been ripped away while leaving the wrap in place.

It's as though the game was put into the box already damaged.

It's Amazon though so all I had to do was print off a return label, request a replacement, and I had a nice new copy two days later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a opened but barely used copy of RoboRally from a seller on Ebay. When it arrived via USPS the top of the shipping box was smashed, and when I opened the box to my horror the lid of the game box was also smashed down and the sides were split, and the game boards were slightly bowed. Fortunately, that was all the damage there was. And as a bonus though, I actually got some money refunded from the postal service so in all I ended up only paying $10 for the game. I'll take that for a damaged box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Kingdom Death Monster and Gloomhaven delivered within a week and a half of each other. What a sorting nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Days of Ire:Budapest was supposedly delivered 3 times from Poland to Australia by Nift - whose tracking stopped after it 'left the country'. Never arrived. They stopped responding to emails after the first resend.

I got EXCELLENT service direct from Cloud Island games however (Dominika in particular) who found me a spare copy and sent it personally nearly 6 months after the original delivery.

So nightmare with a good result I guess

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get off my lawn wrote:
A friend of mine was in labor for 16+ hours with twins.

Not mine, but sure qualifies as a nightmare in my opinion.

I have a friend that had twins. She said that a C-section is the preferred method of delivery to prevent the umbilical cord of one baby getting wrapped around the other during a natural birth. Knowing this would make any length of time in labor with twins a nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is with DPD, and it nearly put me off Kickstarter -- not because of anything with Kickstarter or the project, just because when you back a Kickstarter you have no control over the chosen delivery service.

My advice is: Avoid anything that delivers with DPD!
Yes, it's cheap, but there's a reason for that: They systematically just don't deliver your parcel. (This depends on where you live; if you're lucky, you get your parcel every time, but if you live in the wrong spot, you won't, any time.)

What happened to me (and 1000s of others): I used DPD's online service to select a Saturday delivery, so my partner would definitely be home. Indeed, on Saturday tracking showed that the parcel was out for delivery. My partner sat at home the entire Saturday; no parcel, definitely no ring at the door, no notification in the mailbox.
On Monday, I tried to reschedule the delivery online, but couldn't: There was a message saying that the driver had made three failed delivery attempts (when of course in reality they hadn't made any at all), and the parcel was on its way back to the sender in France.
My partner called the call center, and eventually got someone to promise that the parcel would instead be deposited at a shop for pick-up. The shop was quite out of the way, but my partner went there the next day, only to discover that the shop had cancelled their contract with DPD a while ago and was no longer accepting their parcels!
So he had to clal again, and they promised to deposit it at a different shop, even further away. There we eventually got it.
But that's not really home delivery, is it?

I have since received Kickstarter deliveries through DPD, and have found that if I directly re-route the parcel to the shop, DPD won't have to pretend to make delivery attempts while never actually doing so; they will just drop it there.
But that's not the service we pay for!

Edit: I suspect that all this would be a lot less of a hassle for people who own a car. But we don't, so it can actually be difficult to get parcels from shops in the next town, or logistics centres in industrial areas, and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:
I'm a letter carrier for Canada Post.
Oh man, I have an even worse one for Canada Post when I lived in Toronto... (It doesn't involve a board game, so I didn't think of it first.)
But writing the other one already got me annoyed, so I'm going to leave it at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Had a parcel delivered to the wrong house , they didnt even get the house number or the right street.

Both the delivery firm and ebay refused to refund me claiming by law they had made their obligations as it had been 'delivered'.

I finaly got the package through mere luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had moved and somehow the parcel ended up getting delivered to my old address! UGH! Luckily I could call my neighbor and she went and got it for me. So now I learned to always double check shipping address.

I had a package stolen, it had about 12 issues of speilbox that I had won on ebay for 99 cents. it still hurts a little. my regular mailman is super good but it was a substitute who DOESNT knock on doors! apparently they do not have to. WHAT? no time to even knock?

Amazon package came the other day from UPS, who never knocks. I was home even. Just leaves it on the porch. this is so frustrating as I live in a high mail theft area. I go to leave and surprise a box! It was a gift so I hadn't been expecting it even.

thanks for the vent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
badge
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Parcel delivery is up dramatically this holiday season. It is by far the heaviest I have ever seen it in my twelve years working for USPS.

At our station management has asked us to begin work at 6:00 (vs 7:30 which had been our start time). We spend an hour and a half loading our vehicles and delivering as much post as we can before coming back and doing our routes. Not infrequently we are being forced overtime on other routes for carriers who are sick or on vacation or routes that don't have assigned carriers right now.

I've never been asked to come in early to do parcel delivery before. Or even had it offered as potential overtime. Not even as a PTF (when OT is a requisite).

But we actually have it pretty good at our station. On /r/USPS I see that many carriers are working until 10-10:30pm, and our station manager informed us that last weekend over thirty carriers were out past midnight in NYC.

USPS Mail Carrier here. I've been putting in 14 hour days almost daily. We start at 5am now and most days I'm getting done 7pm or later. This is only the first week of December. I can't wait for it to be January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.