Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I don't yet have the game so I don't know if this is feasible.

So, is anyone playing the game by resorting used cards into the back in order to force the new experiences on subsequent gaming sessions?

This would be only for new players of the game.

As an example, when resorting an Area I exploration card (foggy backed) from the past into the deck, why not make a conscious decision to place that used card *behind* the stack of unplayed Area I cards, and then draw from the front? That way you'll always have a fresh card coming up.

Once you've played through all of Area I cards, then feel free to shuffle and draw at will.

Another example for the adventure (green/gold) cards-- let's say there's 5 versions of green card #135-- why not just re-sort the most recently used one in the back, so the next time you draw #135 from the front it will be a fresh encounter? Of course I understand you can't freely exchange the green with gold-backed cards of the same number.

Does this damage the gameplay mechanics at all?

I read somewhere what I think could be a really good idea-- rather than sleeving your cards up front, sleeve them only as they're used. That way you'll always have a physical reminder as to whether or not a card has been played before.

Are there any problems or concerns with any of these variants?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Avery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game yet either, but I don't imagine that I'd enjoy playing that way.

I would prefer the idea that even after many plays, something might come up that I hadn't seen before, rather than knowing that I had seen all of certain card types.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strubbel Strubbel
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Some days ago I also thought about this kind of handling the fog cards. I do not have the game yet (ks2 supporter).
Maybe there is a card inside that changes the „random“ rule. But in my opinion there isn’t a reason to do it not in your proposed way.
Greetings strubbel
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
Avatar
mb
It is certainly feasible and there is no particular issue why it wouldn't work.

Anyway, as already said, after a while you would have seen all the cards of a certain number.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no reason not to do that for fog cards unless you want a certain fog card to show up again.

For green cards, you might not like the next green card you draw, so randomizing them on a constant basis (especially for state and hunt/fish/treasure cards) would be best.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
schleima wrote:

As an example, when resorting an Area I exploration card (foggy backed) from the past into the deck, why not make a conscious decision to place that used card *behind* the stack of unplayed Area I cards, and then draw from the front? That way you'll always have a fresh card coming up.

I initially started playing like this with the exploration cards but ultimately decided to randomize when returning the past so I'd have the chance of pulling a card I'd never seen before in my fifth, ninth or 12th curse, not only on my first few.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I wouldn't sat it "damages" the game but it definitely changes it and messes up the statistical likelihood of certain things happening.

And I can't cant tjinkmof a reason to do it on purpose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
I wouldn't sat it "damages" the game but it definitely changes it and messes up the statistical likelihood of certain things happening.

And I can't cant tjinkmof a reason to do it on purpose.


Sometimes you're just sick of spotting differences and fleeing rockworms...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I play all games where I don't get through an entire deck every game. I put cards I've seen face up on the bottom of the deck, so when I draw a face down card and see a face up card underneath it I know I've gone through the entire deck. When that happens I shuffle the face up cards that were in the deck (not discarded face up cards encountered during the current play) and continue. At the end of play I shuffle all the cards together because I've seen them all and shuffle for every play from there on out.

I'm sure I'll do something similar for 7th Continent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
That's exactly what I was thinking, Y P.

One of the other posters brought up what sounds like a valid point regarding hunting. The game may not work if you've got a deck where all of the "successful result" hunting cards are face up in the back of the deck. The game is expecting each time you save that you'll at least have the opportunity to have a successful hunt each time, and this could break that mechanic.

Is this game breaking in a broader sense? Without knowing the types of other events that can occur from multiple cards, it's hard to know.

I think I'll probably start out the game playing this way and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your input.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
I "maximize" my "random" card draws by shuffling each exploration deck when I set up the game/enter a new area.

If you are purposely ordering the cards then it isn't random, is it?


Well, the deck is still not being organized in any particular order. It's still random, while eliminating the possibility of drawing anything you've already seen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
I wouldn't sat it "damages" the game but it definitely changes it and messes up the statistical likelihood of certain things happening.

And I can't cant tjinkmof a reason to do it on purpose.


Forgive my misunderstanding... Did you intentionally type a double negative meaning positive?

What I'm primarily concerned about is whether this is a game breaking mechanic
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game. Play it however you want. But that's not how it was intended to be played. This starts down the road of simply turning all the cards over and reading them one by one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schleima wrote:
CheddarLimbo wrote:
I wouldn't sat it "damages" the game but it definitely changes it and messes up the statistical likelihood of certain things happening.

And I can't cant tjinkmof a reason to do it on purpose.


Forgive my misunderstanding... Did you intentionally type a double negative meaning positive?

What I'm primarily concerned about is whether this is a game breaking mechanic


It’s not game breaking. There’s nothing you find or need in fog cards to play the rest of the game, so you’d be fine playing through the stack and not shuffling the fog cards in the past back in. This may not be true if you play with Path of Repentance though, but that’s more of a side quest anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no reason why one couldn't do like this. I will not to it but it is a good way to play fore people who know they will not play the game hundreds of times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely the best way to play, especially if you aren't going to play the game ad nauseum. You pay for all the cards, you should see all the cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.