Subject: Conquest of South America rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Blaschke
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
Hi!

I have a question to all the experts out there. If the USSR is blessed with an early Decol/Destal, as the US I often find myself in the situation that the USSR plays into all four South American Battlegrounds and achieves Control of that region quickly. What do you usually do about it, assuming that you do not have cards like Che, Puppet Governments, OAS Founded or similar? Even if I play into Columbia at AR6/7, I get couped out of that pretty easily.

Your input would be highly appreciated.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Fight as hard as possible elsewhere, so the USSR has less capability to lock up the region without sacrificing another region. Time the Colombia move so the USSR can't just coup without consequence, or you at least get valuable mil ops. Hope for a powerful event to break in- Junta, ABM, Brush etc. Use OAS to gain access. Use Our Man / hold Ask Not to discard the scoring. Control is quite fragile if they don't think to take Uruguay, it's often possible to get into what looks like an impenetrable region. Most of all, don't panic. It's only one region, and I've won many times without even presence in SA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JIM SMITH
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've always found SA to be quite a large reward for Control, and even Domination. Africa is too easily swayed by realignments or easy-coups. Outside of the "main three" of Europe, Asia and the ME. Grabbing SA is ideal. I've made many plays to prevent an opponents access to countries there so I could control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray donovan
msg tools
mb
Once he destalinize in SA, try to realign him with a 4ops card on your next play if you can afford it. Right side (Venezuela an Brazil) is better because only one card will give him acces).
As King said, put pressure elsewhere, he will need 6 more ops to take control (ussr need to overprotect Venezuela to prevent VOA). One move I like to do is brut forcing NK with a 4 ops for exemple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.