Subject: Firepower Query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the attached photo the Germans are about to fire on the lone American in the trees. Just want to check the FP I have as I think I have been playing it wrong. Is my FP the following:

1 for first 1-6-4 squad
0.5 for second 1-6-4 squad
0 for 0-5-4 squad
2 for MG34
1 for leadership modifier

Total of 4.5 which rounds down to 4

Or have I done that wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, rule 5.2 rounds final total up, putting the 4.5 up to the value of 5.

I don't know whether others do this from time-to-time, but because a lone 1 will halve and round up and it can be common in the game to just have one secondary unit, for a while, doing that just morphed in my own mind of always rounding up all units on an individual basis and forgetting only to do that to the total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Anderson
England
North East Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the previous poster stated, you round up the total at the end of the FP calculation.

As a further recommendation, you might in future consider not equipping a SW to a 0FP counter. They have better uses.

1) You activate the hex with all your counters in -
Using all your other counters to fire on the target hex - if all those enemy counters are Shaken then as part of the same Impulse you can move the 0FP unit into the same hex as the enemy instantly eliminating all of them.

2)You activate the hex with all your counters in -
Using all your other counters to fire on the target hex - your attack fails and the enemy doesn't take Opportunity Fire at the attacking hex immediately. Then you can as part of the same impulse, move the 0FP unit towards the enemy - forcing them to fire on the 0FP unit or risk being locked into Melee for the rest of the round. Thus protecting your stack from a potentially powerful attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Tanguay
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiekipper wrote:

Using all your other counters to fire on the target hex - your attack fails and the enemy doesn't take Opportunity Fire at the attacking hex immediately. Then you can as part of the same impulse, move the 0FP unit towards the enemy - forcing them to fire on the 0FP unit or risk being locked into Melee for the rest of the round. Thus protecting your stack from a potentially powerful attack.

You can opportunity fire only against moving units. Just because a stack fire does not make it eligible to a opportunity fire attack but it does make it spotted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for setting me straight on this Norman. Good to know I had most of it right and I get 1 extra FP

normsmith wrote:
Andrew, rule 5.2 rounds final total up, putting the 4.5 up to the value of 5.

I don't know whether others do this from time-to-time, but because a lone 1 will halve and round up and it can be common in the game to just have one secondary unit, for a while, doing that just morphed in my own mind of always rounding up all units on an individual basis and forgetting only to do that to the total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips, especially Number 1. Still learning this game so been trying to figure out what the point of a 0FP counter was. Now I know - to be sacrificed!!

zombiekipper wrote:
As the previous poster stated, you round up the total at the end of the FP calculation.

As a further recommendation, you might in future consider not equipping a SW to a 0FP counter. They have better uses.

1) You activate the hex with all your counters in -
Using all your other counters to fire on the target hex - if all those enemy counters are Shaken then as part of the same Impulse you can move the 0FP unit into the same hex as the enemy instantly eliminating all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Anderson
England
North East Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stanguay wrote:
zombiekipper wrote:

You can opportunity fire only against moving units. Just because a stack fire does not make it eligible to a opportunity fire attack but it does make it spotted.

Completely correct. My bad.
It should have read-

Using all your other counters to fire on the target hex - your attack fails. Then you can as part of the same impulse, move the 0FP unit towards the enemy - forcing them to fire on the 0FP unit or risk being locked into Melee for the rest of the round. Thus protecting your stack from a potentially powerful attack.

There is also some new updated rule books for the lock n' load system (v4.2.1) on lnlpublishing website. They add a bit more clarity on some of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Rules v4.1 we changed all fractions/decimals to "round up"; this way you never have to check for every little thing; it's always round up.

And then there's tactics. It's best not to include the 0-FP Half-squad in the attack, as it adds nothing to it. It's also not a great idea to equip it with the SW; in this case the lead 1-FP Squad with the SW and the Leader can fire with 4 FP, leaving the other 1-FP Squad and the 0-FP for other actions (or add the other 1-FP Squad for 4.5 FP rounded up to 5 FP); it all depends on the circumstances, of course. But the 0-FP Half-squad should not be used as it can be used as the "take" action of a "shake and take" from the fire attack of the other units or for a later fire (or Op Fire) action. 0-FP still fires with 1d6 + 0. Against an adjacent, moving/Moved enemy unit that's 1d6 + 3: nothing to sneeze at.

Also, if you had (only) 3x 1-6-4 Squads, it would also be a waste to fire all 3 at once as it's 2-FP whether you fire 2 or 3 of them. Save the 3rd Squad for another action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many things to learn!! And I'm only on scenario 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Heroes of the Pacific, it states that all Army 1 FP units aren't halved
when in a stack. That doesn't make any difference, as all FP is halved rounding up, am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Tanguay
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You round up only at the end of the calculation thus 3 "regulars" 1 FP units are worth 1FP +0.5 + 0.5 = 2, while, in the case you are describing, they are worth 1 FP +1 +1 = 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.