Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape the Cage
Or some other name ... like monkeys and hunter ...

Simplified rules.

Played on a grid of three by three squares.

There will be some kind of grid with arrows, this is the "A.I.".

Could be played with two chess pawns and king, here I use two small monkeys and a red pawn.

You have one pawn (the red one) that is the hunter and two pawns (the monkeys) that are yours to move.

Start the game by putting the red one in the middle. Then place a monkey (or what ever game piece you got) in one of the free spots on the three by three grid. Now the red will move according to the arrow in the "arrow grid" (the one corresponding to the place where there are a monkey).

If the red lands on a space with a monkey, that monkey is out.

If the red pawn moves out of the grid, it "wrap its movement" around to the other side. Example if pawn is at B1 and is to move left, it ends up at B3.

Next, put the next "monkey" in a free spot on the grid.

Move the red pawn accordantly as before. Lands on a monkey it is out, if out of grid its movement wraps around. The red pawn will move as stated by the arrow grid and may end up in the same space several times during the game.

Next is to move one of your "monkeys" again one step (and one step only) to a free ajecent spot on the grid. The "monkey" may never enter a spot that "monkey" has occupied before and it could not "wrap its movement".

You could track the "monkeys" movement on the board itself or on a seperate grid with tokens, markers or pencil.

Move red pawn again as stated above.

Move next monkey. Red pawn .. etc .. repeat.

Win if moved one "monkey" up to nine steps.

Loose if you have no "monkeys" or you could not make a move.

Make new "levels" by replaceing the arrowgrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Escape the Cage ... one grid escape room ...
I really like this

So, if i understood correctly, you can't walk into same square two times with same monkey?
How would you suggest to mark progress of each monkey?
I mean, if they were Red Hunter and Blue and Yellow Monkey it would be somewhat easier to remember where they were been before, but the moment my yellow glass beads came next to each other my memory slot unexpectedly melted (well, it's one after midnight here so that maybe came into play also...)

But as i said, this is kind of a small puzzle i really enjoy. You make more of those levels and test them out and hey, you may have something nice for upcoming 9-card nano contest!

Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pecaZP wrote:
I really like this

So, if i understood correctly, you can't walk into same square two times with same monkey?

correct!

Quote:
How would you suggest to mark progress of each monkey?
I mean, if they were Red Hunter and Blue and Yellow Monkey it would be somewhat easier to remember where they were been before, but the moment my yellow glass beads came next to each other my memory slot unexpectedly melted (well, it's one after midnight here so that maybe came into play also...)

You could mark the bord (pencil or tokens) but I guess you would remember. But yes, mark there way is good. The red will go wherever the series says. It will be able to go Reichenau to same spot.

Quote:
But as i said, this is kind of a small puzzle i really enjoy. You make more of those levels and test them out and hey, you may have something nice for upcoming 9-card nano contest!

Pedja

Yes, thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

This could be used as a printable file and I added two grids for tracking the two "monkeyes" paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Solved it just after i posted my comment. I took red for hunter and blue and yellow for monkeys to be easier to remember. If i played correctly, both monkeys live, and (possibly) both of them could make full 9 round.

Wrap-around clarification: I've used shorter diagonals as a wrapping direction too.
If Hunter is on B1 and Monkey steps on C1, Hunter goes to C2.
If Hunter is on C1 and Monkey steps on C2, Hunter stays in place.
Correct?

Seems that there are more solutions. I tried to remember what i did last night and i'm pretty sure that i went different route this time. One solution in spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Blue and yellow monkeys - bm and ym.

bm-A3, ym-A2, bm-B3, ym-B1, ym-C2, bm-C3, ym-B2, ym-A3, ym-B3, bm-C2, bm-C1, ym-C3, bm-B1, bm-B2, bm-A2, bm-A1.

Blue monkey finishes the tour, yellow without possible moves.

Straightforward and fun little workout, now someone try and make them both go full route!

Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wrap-around clarification: I've used shorter diagonals as a wrapping direction too.

If Hunter is on B1 and Monkey steps on C1, Hunter goes to C2.
If Hunter is on C1 and Monkey steps on C2, Hunter stays in place.
Correct?

I do like this. Hunter never stands still if there are an arrow. The solution I have for diagonals is like this.

If the hunter whera at A1 and is directed to move up left, it ends up at C3. If directed to move down left fråm A1 it ends up at B3.

B1 would be A3 if the direction is to move up left, and to C3 if directed to move down left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes, that's true map wrapping. Well, I don't know if my method makes it easier to win, but if it does, you'll have two playing levels to choose from.

I've made one small game based on 3x3 grid and Tic Tac Toe called Tic Tac Shuffle and than made second one (not posted yet). I have wanted to make some kind of trilogy but didn't want to force anything. This just sparked idea for third one so give credit where credit is due, thank for inspiration.

Pedja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The Cave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pecaZP wrote:
thank for inspiration.
Pedja

Glad to help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I did this retheme for the holidays, a save the Yuletid (or x-mas) ...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-EbiSvnr5VNN7bbi6cUYwIvmR9...

(på svenska)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The quest map!

Oh No!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-Op if you have not read this yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.