BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Bandpass Design - My Table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
https://bandpassdesign.com

I thought I'd start a thread about my experience with Bandpass Design even before I got my table.

There is another thread where they announced their existence, but now that they've named themselves they deserve a thread with their name in the title. Here's the other thread if you are interested: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1871042/geek-chic-crafts-fo...

The events which led to me working with them are a blur to me now. It seems like within a matter of days I lost the auction for my (yes, my) Geek Chic table, then *almost* pulled the trigger on a Game Topper...but decided not to.

I think it was within hours after Bertie's (if I have his name correct) Kickstarter ended that Garrett announced the creation of his yet-to-be-named concern. I contacted him immediately asking questions. He was more than willing to answer every question I had and give me details about his vision for a table. I was sold and said I wanted in. He warned me that this table would be a significant departure from what GC produced. I said I was still in because if it was anywhere close to the same quality it'll be awesome.

More to come...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
On Thanksgiving weekend I started getting emails from Garrett with photos of the prototype.

He was right, this was a departure big from Geek Chic. This was unlike anything else I'd seen.

Stuff built in? No rail? Yup. I was a big fan of the rail system that Geek Chic and pretty much all of their competitors use(d). Still, the rail system was the thing I was worried about the most when I thought about winning the auction for my GC table. What if stuff breaks? Inevitably it will. The more I thought about it, the more I liked this new design. It still keeps drinks off the play surface, but there's zero chance of breaking the accessories or bumping things out of the rail. And the wider rail is more comfortable for resting arms on.

Bamboo?? Yup. It's a different look, but that stuff is really going to stand up to abuse. And I really like the way that the grain changes direction in the trays.

The legs. I like the look, but it wasn't for us. Garrett simply said, "Well, let's swap those out" and now we're going with a more traditional leg.

I put down my money (full in advance via credit card) on November 30th based on this prototype and he's anticipating completion in early January. That's about 6 weeks, and I believe I'm the worst case in terms of timeline. Their plan is to be able to kick these out a lot faster, but I got involved before they were on the ramp-up.

Working with these guys is great. It's clear they love what they do, and the company name (Bandpass) really represents their theory on keeping this thing simple.

He's since added a few more features, like a cool system that will raise the play surface up to the top of the rail if you like.

I should add, despite the fact that the top is 1"-thick solid walnut, this table is coming in over $2,000 less than I was going to pay for my GC Vanguard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I like the design better than any other gaming table I've ever seen, including what GC had -- it's subtle and clean. My only quibble is that the bamboo ought to have a veneer of the finish wood along the edge and bottom, so the color difference doesn't stand out like it does.

For the folks who have these segmented table tops, is there anything holding them down and together other than their weight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
dpbush wrote:
the bamboo ought to have a veneer of the finish wood along the edge and bottom

I'm wary of edge veneer wearing well over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
dpbush wrote:

For the folks who have these segmented table tops, is there anything holding them down and together other than their weight?

They are going to have a couple things:

#1 - Pins (like you are used to in leaves) to keep them aligned with each other. They just didn't have them in yet when they took these pictures

#2 - Small ridge of some sort on the underside to keep them aligned properly with the table

#3 - Some sort of padding on the underside so a) you can stack them without marring the surface and b) they don't slide around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
By the way, this is the table I'm going from...

...a 44" round pedestal table that has an optional 20" leaf. It's nice, but I'm sick of:
- Not having a good place for beverages (I HATE setting them on the play surface)
- Not having enough room to play comfortably. As you can see, even Midgard is tight. Mysterium is nearly impossible. Fury of Drac, Formula D and Mice and Mystics are completely out
- Game components falling on the floor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Maier
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is already my favorite gaming table. They do away with the rail system and ridiculously overpriced accessories. I've long believed that this is what the industry needs: high quality with less customizeability. Every one-off or optional drawer just adds to the manufacturing setup/changeover times, and thus adds cost and build time to every unit, even ones without the features.

I'm not saying that other offerings are bad. Some people want drawers. I just think they'd do better to offer a standardized unit without the crazy upsells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Table is being assembled and should be complete early next week. Some pics they posted for me:

Gadget Girl
msg tools
, check them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Van Scoit

California
msg tools
Anyone at PAX South? I'm here for Bandpass Design socializing. Be happy to sit down and chat if interested, or play a game. Not able to bring a Dresden but perhaps next time.
Hit me up on Twitter @victorsentme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drneau wrote:

How deep is that larger center cutout? It looks kind of deep. Is it lined with anything? What's its purpose? (although I suppose "holding stuff" is its purpose)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
jeffrey_a_meunier wrote:
drneau wrote:

How deep is that larger center cutout? It looks kind of deep. Is it lined with anything? What's its purpose? (although I suppose "holding stuff" is its purpose)

Whatever it is in THAT picture (that's the prototype), they realized it was too deep. Actual models will be shallower.

It's primarily a dice bin, but I foresee using it more as a phone holder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Shipping today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
The eagle has landed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you have had the table for awhile (I'm guessing you still have it?). How is the table holding up? Is the game play surface large enough? Would you change anything about the Dresden?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Wouldn't change a thing. Size is perfect. Not too big, not too small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What were your color choices of the fabrics you chose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Taupe for the velveteen (pictured) and some kind of tan/cream for the speedcloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.