Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Mythic Battles: Pantheon - a DPD story rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to tell you a little story about why I'd really like every KS fulfillment company to stop using DPD.

I went for a Titan Pledge + Storage box on the MB Kickstarter. It was my first Kickstarter where I spent a lot of money (ofcourse Kingdom Death changed this a few months later). Spending €300+ on a board game makes me antsy at best, but I knew it would be worth it.

On 30/11, I received a tracking number. The package was scheduled to be delivered later that day. Just imagine the happiness I felt at that moment. Ofcourse I was at work, but no worries - I'd just get the package delivered to the parcel shop that's about 100m from my house. No big deal, I'll get it 1/12.

So December 1st, a Friday, arrives, and I'm looking forward to picking up my game after work. I open up my tracker and see the message "No goods acceptance / goods pickup." I ask my girlfriend to call DPD customer service and they tell her "The driver claims the shop was closed, we will try to contact him and get it delivered today. I will call you when I know more. If I cannot reach the driver, we will deliver next Tuesday." The shop was open, yet it was closed on Monday. We hear nothing from DPD and the weekend passes quietly.

December 4st gives us No goods acceptance / goods pickup again, since the shop is closed. December 5th, my tracker suddenly does something weird. I get the notification that "Consignee address not correct." That's weird - it's a pickup shop I selected from their website. How can the address not be correct? I call customer service, explain the situation, and the guy on the phone tells me "This is unacceptable,
we will contact the driver and you can rest assured it will be delivered tomorrow."
I thank the person for his excellent service and remain patient.

December 6th again gives me a "Consignee address not correct." That's weird. I call customer service again. Yet another man tells me "This is unacceptable, we will contact the driver and you can rest assured it will be delivered tomorrow." Jeez, where have I heard that before. Well, maybe this one isn't lying. I ask him what my options are if the package doesn't get delivered, and he tells me "You can always drive to the depot and pick it up." I tell him I'd rather not have to do that.

Now December 7th arrives. We've passed a full week of people telling me I'd get my package tomorrow at this point. I should note calling DPD customer service costs me €0,30 per minute and I've never been able to get someone on the line under 20 minutes. You do the math. December 7th, I get a new tracker notification. "New delivery date agreed upon." What? I didn't agree to a new delivery date? I call customer service again, this time during my lunch break. She tells me "This means it'll get delivered this afternoon for sure." The package does not get delivered. After work, I call customer service again. I ask them to confirm my package is in the depot so I can come pick it up. The woman on the line tells me "I will call the depot and let them set your package aside. I will contact you when it's done so you can depart."

At this point I'm not buying DPD's bull anymore so I just get in the car and drive over. When I arrive at the depot, the weirdest thing happens.

- They could not locate my package inside the depot
- They had no idea I'd called 5 times already
- They couldn't explain what happened with my package
- They blamed it on a lazy driver
- They promise to get my package sent to me by charter at the driver's expense

The dispatcher writes down my personal information and promises me that his teamleader will contact me the next day, before the afternoon. At this point I'm sure you can guess that that didn't happen either. But on December 8th, it finally happens! I get a tracking update that my package will be delivered to the pickup shop I selected! Praise the Gods, going to the depot helped! I'm so happy!

The package is scheduled for delivery between 1:30 and 2:30 PM. At 2 PM, my roommate tells me a package arrived at our house. What? At our house? When I get back home from work, I hear the full story from the driver.

The driver had told DPD on day one that my package was too big (no pun intended) for delivery to the parcel shop. He actually wrote it on the box, so I can confirm this story. He was not told that I called 5 times, nor did he know that I went to the depot. He simply brought my package along because he needed to make another delivery in my neighbourhood and had some spare time. If the driver didn't have this reflex, I would still not have my package despite physically going to the depot. To make things worse, the driver confirmed that my package was in fact at the depot at the time when I was there and they could've given it to me.

So despite all the efforts I made to get the situation sorted out, the only reason why DPD managed to deliver my package was because the driver had some spare time during his round. When dealing with expensive packages, I'm not sure this is the service you'd want for your customers.

P.S.: the package was the expansion boxes and the game is heaps of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gunness
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow
I've come across some nasty examples of crummy customer service, but that one really takes the cake. Good to know that you finally got your game, but man, I really feel your struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunness wrote:
wow
I've come across some nasty examples of crummy customer service, but that one really takes the cake. Good to know that you finally got your game, but man, I really feel your struggle.

Well, I still have to receive the core box, so the struggle might not be over yet. Let's hope it is.

I would honestly rather pay 20€ extra shipping to get a better service than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, did you receive everything? I got a huge parcel a couple of days ago, but it was just the big box expansions and the storage box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kosmoko wrote:
Just out of curiosity, did you receive everything? I got a huge parcel a couple of days ago, but it was just the big box expansions and the storage box.

Not yet, I just got the big box expansions and the storage box also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieve T
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, that does not surprise me, I have had a similar bad experience with DPD Belgium on my Xia expansion Kickstarter delivery.

Short story:
- I missed the first delivery, so I thought, let's have it delivered to my work address, which I use all the time but had not used for this particular package. DPD said they would deliver next day.
- Next day, DPD stated 'delivery today'. Did not happen. I called, they said they would be back the day after. Again, no delivery, so I called them again. They claimed the address was incorrect. I pointed out to them that they had delivered another package to me just 2 days earlier on the exact same address. They said they would update the address to 'make it clearer' for the driver and that I should expect it within 2 days.
- So I gave them another 2 days to deliver the package to my 'corrected' work address. Nothing. Called DPD again to ask if maybe it would be easier to use a parcelshop instead? Since that address would have to be correct? They said no to that suggestion, claiming it would be easier to stick with the current address. So I complied and waited a few more days before calling again.
- Finally called them once more, asking about the status. Asking if I could pick up the package at the depot maybe? I was desperate at that point. They said: sure, we will let the depot know to set it aside and let you know when it is ready for you to pick up. Next morning I hadn't heard anything so I called them again. Sorry, they said, this package has been returned to sender because of a wrong address.
- Kudos to the Xia guys, I kept them informed of my calls to DPD the whole time, so when I told them the package was being returned, they sent me a new copy immediately, using a different courier. Had it within 2 days without any issues.

Every time I called DPD, I had to explain everything all over again, there was no record of any kind that they had talked to me before. Every time empty promises. I should point out that calling them is not free! I spent quite a bit of money calling them (7 times total) with zero result to show for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elephantgirl wrote:
Every time I called DPD, I had to explain everything all over again, there was no record of any kind that they had talked to me before. Every time empty promises. I should point out that calling them is not free! I spent quite a bit of money calling them (7 times total) with zero result to show for it.

Exactly this. Constantly having someone else on the phone, everyone telling you the same lies, spending 5-6€ per call, ...

I'm quite surprised they also did the "we will let you know when the package is ready" trick, this is utterly disgusting. You're trying to do their job for them, and they still hang you out to dry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Huber
Germany
München
flag msg tools
Just to provide some perspective: Where I live, DPD is by far my favorite carrier. (OK, Amazon logistics usually works even better.) I get a shipping email with a reliable timeframe of about one hour, and usually they're on time. OK, it would help if I could get this message the day before instead of the day of delivery, but it still is a lot better than with DHL or other carriers. DHL is actually especially bad - I'm pretty certain by now that a lot of their drivers don't even try to deliver but bring the package directly to the depot (20 minutes car ride away, depending on traffic, plus always loooooong queues) for pick-up. Sucks. So, well, DPD might be bad in a lot of cases, but I can attest to the fact that they can also be actually pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieve T
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djmacbest wrote:
Just to provide some perspective: Where I live, DPD is by far my favorite carrier.

Do note that I specified 'DPD Belgium' in my message.
I have had no issues sending items through them, just receiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I can assure you that you can have similar bad experiences in germany with either DPD, DHL or Hermes. It is service hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver is a hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Driver is a hero.

Honestly - yes. He went above and beyond, and I wouldn't have gotten my game without him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sykes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not saying much, but I've always found DPD to be by far the best of the couriers (in the UK anyway). The one hour window and tracking showing exactly where your driver is is so much better than any other couriers I've used. Plus, my driver is an extremely nice guy. Not sure how it is in other countries, but in the UK courier drivers are paid criminally low amounts which kind of explains so many of the problems people have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fully aware of the fact that 99% of DPD's parcels arrive without issue. That's not really the point I'm trying to make either.

I don't judge a courier company by their ability to properly deliver a parcel. It's their job, I expect them to be able to pull it off. I judge a courier company by their ability to solve the situation if problems arise. And when that situation happens, even if it's just a 1% chance, DPD is entirely worthless.

I've had parcel mistakes come up with other couriers on occasions, but at least I can count on them to help me out when I contact them through whatever means. That's why you have a customer service number in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ijon Tichy
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost the same story here in Germany with DPD (worst of the worst). After they failed 3 times to deliver the 2nd wave package to one of their pickup station of their choosing, they forgot the package in their depot for several days. After intervening via Facebook the driver delivered it to my home address. The package was in a miserable condition. It stood definately for some time in the rain and was badly ripped. Fortunately the game was superbly wrapped so the game just took minor damage (some bumps at the edge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.