War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 11 months of painting - WOTR miniatures & strongholds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antoine Kahn
France
flag msg tools
Dear all,

I am, at last, glad and proud to present you the painting work I did through this year ; from the 08/01/2017 until 08/12/2017.
I decided to share it to thank all people that helped me by showing their own work on forums/youtube, and I hope this would motivate other people to do so, though it was a long and hard journey.

As an introduction, please consider first that english is not my native speaking language, so do not take too much consideration about the mistakes I could have made by writing this post
At the beginning of this year, I decided to paint the miniatures of my WOTR 2nd edition boardgame. As a total beginner who never painted miniatures before I had to start from scratch and read and watch a lot of tutorials.
After searching on internet from basic material I should need, I went to a local distributor to get a set of paints for beginners from GW, an additional smallest paint brush I could find (GW layer S), then I customized a magnifying glass by holding it with a helping hand to have a better view of details. I also bought rapidly additional stuff like Nuln Oil wash from GW, some gray paint from Army Painter and of course some primer (2 cans of Citadel Chaos Black Spray). Additional paints were also purchased when they were required (gold and silver paints for instance).
This list could be useless at the end of all things, but believe me when
I started in january I was really looking at details, and maybe someone could find it usefull.

After material was purchased and motivation was at its highest point, I started my journey.

Shadow

My idea was simple ; as a beginner I will make mistakes. So let's begin with miniatures from Shadow armies ; if the first painted figs are ugly, it will be allright because Shadow units are ugly.
I began with the biggest units to make it easy for the beggining, which are Elite units from Mordor.

First picture I made was the following one, where I could really discover how Wash paint can act:

And here is the final results for the Elite units of Mordor.

Now I see them, I see a lot of little mistakes, though I was really happy about the result in January. But again this is by making those mistakes that I could make progress

I then painted the rest of the shadow units, except Nazguls and minions which were painted at the very end so that my painting "art" could be at the maximum of my capacities

I forgot to take some pictures of orcs from Mordor and wolves from Isengard.

Free People

Beginning of March, I moved to the free people's units. For most of them I also put some grass on their base.

Nazguls, Companions & Minions

We are close to the end of August, and it was time to finish the units by painting "master" units ; Nazguls, Companions and Minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Kahn
France
flag msg tools
Strongholds

We are now close to the end. Begining of October, I painted the strongholds made by sickdave.The last one, Orodruin, was finished last thursday.

And that's it !
Every miniature was varnished with GW purity seal, and even if a lot of people looked disapointed by using it, from my part it was ok.

The journey is now finally over, and I can enjoy all my efforts.

At last, I have to admitt that if I knew this would have taken so much efforts and time, I would never have began this huge work. Although I did not know exactly how long it took, I can assure this was hundreds of hours in total.
But at last, everything is finished now.
Many thanks to all people who inspired me for this work, to my girlfriend who was really patient , and thanks to you as well for having read this long post !
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antoinekahn wrote:

And that's it !

The journey is now finally over, and I can enjoy all my efforts.

At last, I have to admit that if I knew this would have taken so much effort and time, I would never have began this huge work. Although I did not know exactly how long it took, I can assure this was hundreds of hours in total.
But at last, everything is finished now.
Many thanks to all people who inspired me for this work, to my girlfriend who was really patient , and thanks to you as well for having read this long post !

Good job on the painting and the huge undertaking! I can totally appreciate the amount of work it is.

I too chose to paint my WotR and it's been over a year for sure by now, probably longer, and I am still painting..lol
I'm finishing up my last Free Peoples faction and have one horribly large Shadow faction left. sauron
I think this is quite the ambitious undertaking as a first time painting endeavor but that's probably why it happened, I didn't know any better..shake

Although my girlfriend is also very patient with me taking my time painting, I'm quite sure she secretly hopes that I will never finish it so she will never have to sit down a play it with me...lol

Soooo.... One question, when are the expansion mini's coming?? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many blond elves for my taste.. I guess it's the movies' legacy..
Blond elves were very rare, surely not regular troops..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Morin
United States
New Port Richey
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Nice job! Now the best part......set up and play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bauer
Germany
Hannover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
This is so well done! Congratulations for finishing. Enjoy your hard work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
angelo manosso
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most amazing painting of WoTR I've ever seen, congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great! Surely it was worth the effort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply, beautiful insanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Kahn
France
flag msg tools
Thank you guys for your nice words

Azikin wrote:
Too many blond elves for my taste.. I guess it's the movies' legacy..
Blond elves were very rare, surely not regular troops..

Yes you're right there are many blond elves, among the regular and the elite units. The thing is I wanted to differenciate elves as much as possible from the other races, especially regular units from the north with their bow.
As I was using black primer, I sometimes also had issues with "too dark" units, especially for the Free People, and painting elves blond made them look a little bit more "shiny" to me

tikitack wrote:
Although my girlfriend is also very patient with me taking my time painting, I'm quite sure she secretly hopes that I will never finish it so she will never have to sit down a play it with me...lol

Soooo.... One question, when are the expansion mini's coming?? whistle

For that point there is no doubt for me ; she will never play with me laugh
And for your last quesion, I pre-ordered the anniversary edition of Warriors of Middle Earth, and I hope there will also be the same kind of release for Lords of Middle Earth in the near future so that I do not touch a pencil again until several years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. It's a lot of work.

One simple tip that really helps is to always paint from the "inside out". In other words, paint bare arms or legs before the clothes; teeth before face, face before hats or hair, etc. This will usually make things look much nicer.

I painted mine a few years back. I painted the heroes, but when I did the "minions" I only used a couple of colors and a dip. I didn't want to spend forever painting each one.

Again, nice job. They came out nice and I'm sure they'll add to the look of the game when it is on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is a great achievemen; they look absolutely beautiful and I am filled with envy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark schultz
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.