Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the app for Imperial Assault is released. What would you recommend for mainly solo play and 2 players co-op between Imperial Assault and Descent 2nd Edition and why?

To mention that I haven't played any of those games and some other somehow similar that I own and enjoy are: Sword & Sorcery, Perdition's Mouth, Kingdom Death, Gloomhaven, Folklore, Lobotomy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like dungeon crawls and fantasy settings, D2 is the way to go. Between melee attacks, ranged attacks, magic, and monsters its quasi RPG like game play has my non-gamer wife playing in an (almost) weekly dungeon crawl.

If you want scifi lots of gun fights with some melee and stormtroopers that arent as 'accurate' as in the film (yes, its a joke here), then go w/ IA.
IA also includes a skirmish gameplay, so you have that as well if you have friends over and want to play head to head.

In either case, print off the rules or use a reader and PDF them for handy reference. Knowing the difference between SPOT, ENGAGE, RETREAT, etc makes it easy when you have them in your hand and dont want to drop the app to look up a rule.

My 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All life is of cosmic origin.
badge
Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your responses will be colored by what forum you are posting in.

That aside we love descent coop play. Never tried solo. It's the one middle to heavy game my partner will bring up that she wants to play. Worth the setup time for her VS eldritch which is hard to convince her to join me.

IMO I think if you are looking for good coop, you will be happy with either. I am sure I will be corrected if I am super wrong about this, but I think they are pretty similar games. As stated above, the subtle differences are in rules system and setting for your dungeon crawl. Some research into those may bring your answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Important note: While they are often spoken of as "dungeon crawlers," they are both, at their core, tactical skirmish games. You will spend the vast majority of your time figuring out how many spaces to move, to which space to move, and which target to attack with which skill.

IA Pros:

1) The AI of the app in Imperial Assault is a HUGE improvement over Descent. (I hope they implement it is the Descent app.)

2) Better rule set. From line of site to allowing figures to move through enemy figures to limiting the amount of stamina/strain you can suffer to move extra spaces, Imperial Assault is a great improvement from a rules perspective. (It is basically Descent 2.5)

3) Star Wars theme is really well implemented to give you that feel of living in the Star Wars universe, if that floats your boat.

Descent Pros:
1) MUCH more co-op content currently available. The only co-op for IA right now is one short starter campaign using only (and someone correct me if I am wrong)the base set components.

2) IMHO, the fantasy style of play better suited for this style of game. In Descent, you go on "quests" and get loot and treasure and get to meet bosses, etc. In IA, you run "missions" and get gear and gear upgrades. Something about Descent just FEELS right. When I play IA, I enjoy it a lot but there is always that sense of "I am just running missions for some bigger army." It doesn't feel as personal or intimate. In Imperial Assault, you never play as Luke or Han or Leia. (Which is a plus in most areas.) You just run into them and they help you out. THEY are the bomb...not you. In Descent you are THE heroes. It's all on you. You are the most powerful/skilled characters in the game, besides the bosses.

I love and play both. If I had to choose just one right now, it would be Descent mostly because of the amount of co-op content available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
1) The AI of the app in Imperial Assault is a HUGE improvement over Descent. (I hope they implement it is the Descent app.)

I've heard this mentioned a couple of times, but no specifics. Is there a thread where this is explained? I'm curious what changes they made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:

I've heard this mentioned a couple of times, but no specifics. Is there a thread where this is explained? I'm curious what changes they made.

Well, the Descent2 App has simply more playing modes.

Certainly the Delve Quest mechanic gives almost an endless replayability as dungeons are randomly created with different bosses and mobs.

I think it is more a question of "the exciting new stuff" than objectively being better.

I have to play the Campaign of SW still, but Descent2 was great already in its challenge mode and certainly with the Delve Quest mechanic.

My personal perception:

Descent2 is as close to dungeons/raids in World of Warcraft can be for ... a boardgame really.

You have tanks, healers, melee, ranged classes, mobs with different tactics and some awesome boss mechanics. I doubt SW can emulate this on the same level. It will probably be like playing a more story based advanture with Star Wars miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
TravelSized wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:

Certainly the Delve Quest mechanic gives almost an endless replayability as dungeons are randomly created with different bosses and mobs.

I think it is more a question of "the exciting new stuff" than objectively being better.

I have to play the Campaign of SW still, but Descent2 was great already in its challenge mode and certainly with the Delve Quest mechanic.

My personal perception:

Descent2 is as close to dungeons/raids in World of Warcraft can be for ... a boardgame really.

You have tanks, healers, melee, ranged classes, mobs with different tactics and some awesome boss mechanics. I doubt SW can emulate this on the same level. It will probably be like playing a more story based advanture with Star Wars miniatures.

So basically, you haven't really played Imperial Assault, but you don't see how it could be better than Descent. How does this answer his question about the differences in the AI between the two apps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
Ben_Bos wrote:
TravelSized wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:

My personal perception:

So basically, you haven't really played Imperial Assault, but you don't see how it could be better than Descent. How does this answer his question about the differences in the AI between the two apps?

You beat me to it!

AI = How intelligent the monsters are when they fight you.

What I am seeing in Imperial Assault is that there are very specific instructions to follow for each imperial figure that activates. Instead of saying "engage" and "attack" it says things like "move 2 toward {hero name} then attack the weakest player. THEN retreat back so you are X spaces form all characters. If you end up adjacent to another imperial figure, do Y."

Check out pages 14-16 of the LotA rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
My personal perception:

That is a big plus for SW imho, random raids are extremely boring. I prefer story missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.