Subject: International creditcard verification coolstuffinc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mey-ying Kao
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it common practice for US shops to send a mail asking me for information to verify my creditcard after charging it already?

I’ve done many international orders with my creditcard and never have I got a request for information. With all the phishing nonsense these dats, I might be too suspicious. But the mail and the reaction to my mail asking why they need it if my creditcard has already been charged are so standard and scripted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
this came up a couple weeks ago also in this forum.... also a CC they got online...

Coolstuff - they need a physical address for my bank, but it's a credit card i got online

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Coolstuff?, Yes it Is very common and good buisness.

They dont know you, they are protecting you and thier product. What if the purchase was not you, but with your card???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably a fraud protection issue . . . they probably don't want to ship the order until they verify they are actually shipping it to the card owner. I recommend not responding to the e-mail unless you are sure it is from the merchant. Maybe call them instead or contact them through their website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mey-ying Kao
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link to that other thread. I did try to look it up on bgg but couldn’t find anything on it.

Thanks for the advise on making sure it’s from them. I’ve already contacted them via the order confirmation I’ve received and it seems ok. Will contact my bank to assure me that the information they ask can cause no harm to me.

I still don’t fully understand how this information will benefit them. They have the money already. So what does it matter to the shop where their product is send off to? I don’t see the risk for the shop, unless the bank can somehow automatically withdraw the money again from the shops’ account. Which seems unlikely to me. There is no risk for the customer as we can get our money back from the bank in these cases. Ahh well I’m just curious about how this works :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
because if someone sole your card and used it to purchase games and you didn't authorize it you can contest those charges. The Bank/CC company would initiate a charge back on CSI and they would have to return the money. The games would already be out the door though and they would not get those back.

They want to make sure it's a legit order before sending off the goods. If not, they are the one's who end up on the short end of the stick. Its good business practice for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
cutesnottie wrote:
I still don’t fully understand how this information will benefit them.

cost retailers $50B (that's a B) last year due to fraud (and shoplifting)...

http://time.com/money/4829684/shoplifting-fraud-retail-surve...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone used my credit card on a German website a few years ago (and the merchandise was shipped to an address in Germany). I contacted the credit card company and the charges (over $300, if I remember correctly) were reversed. I assume the merchant got charged back for the same amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mey-ying Kao
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting subject. Thanks all. Didn’t know that this was such a big thing for retailers to be honest. I now understand why they did this check: shipping address is different from the billing one (yay secretsanta!)

Would have helped if their mail wasn’t so standard and scripted and didn’t include any information of my order. And a better explanation would also have helped.

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.