Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Are Extra Dice Necessary/Useful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since I only got a Titan pledge, I'll only have one set of dice. At first I was worried, but the board is pretty small, and unlike other dice hungry games (i.e. Arcadia Quest), it seems this one maxes out at 10 dice/attack.

So are extra dice sets really useful? Or mostly just fluff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy J
Sweden
flag msg tools
Correct, you never need more than 10, so it is not necessary to have more to play the game.

But with a second set you can easily have a second game going (atleast 2 1vs1 games), and everyone might not like the battle dice and prefer the classic style.

Ofcourse, with a rather large board not having to pass the dice around makes it a wee bit more comfortable to play. (ok, it's not super huge, but large enough for the kids to start throwing the dice around)

Otoh, it's not difficult to use any other set of regular dice, just treat the 6's as a blank result, although I do like the look of the two dice sets offered, both fits the game thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Are there enough AOW cards to play two games simultaneously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy J
Sweden
flag msg tools
2 1vs1 games atleast. it depends on the size of the armies.

But you get plenty of french alternative AoW activation cards for many of the units(or english if you are french), you can use them as generics... or use cards for units not used.

Edit: Sorry, was tired, meant activation cards, not AoW cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Greenious wrote:
2 1vs1 games atleast. it depends on the size of the armies.

But you get plenty of french alternative AoW cards for many of the units(or english if you are french), you can use them as generics... or use cards for units not used.

Wait, so AOW cards are language specific? I thought they were universal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these extra AoW french version in the Titan pledge?
I have God pledge and only french unit cards but only on set of AoW.
Extra AoW would be great as I would not have to sleeve them as I could wear down the french version.

If they are in the God pledge I would have to ask for replacement/missing content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally was going to get just the set that came with the game. But, after playing a game I decided to get a second set I saw for $14 with S/H to make things a little more convenient. Not necessary, but definitely helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get one set of AOW cards, and yes they are universal. What Tommy is trying to say is that you can use the French cards as proxies for AOW cards since they dont really have any other purpose.

mantler wrote:
Are these extra AoW french version in the Titan pledge?
I have God pledge and only french unit cards but only on set of AoW.
Extra AoW would be great as I would not have to sleeve them as I could wear down the french version.

If they are in the God pledge I would have to ask for replacement/missing content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy J
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks Tyrone, I was a bit tired I think.

I meant the french language activation cards for the units with different french/english name. Or activation cards for units not used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would at least get a second set. So each player can have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never have enough dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Tommy

It's nothing. Happens to the best of us. Haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to using my extra dice to avoid the bookkeeping of re-rolling the 5s.
Rather than rerolling them, I will set them asside, take another die to roll and add it to the 5. This I think will also be an easier way to teach the dice rolling process to new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challst wrote:
I am looking forward to using my extra dice to avoid the bookkeeping of re-rolling the 5s.
Rather than rerolling them, I will set them asside, take another die to roll and add it to the 5. This I think will also be an easier way to teach the dice rolling process to new players.

The biggest "problem" with the dice rolling is teaching new players that a 3 added to a 4 is still only a 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Challst wrote:

I've seen others post about doing this. I guess if a player has never experienced the "exploding dice" concept in another game or RPG, it could be a little hard to grasp.

Another idea is to use Fudge Dice with the "+" for the 1st assault "set aside" dice.

It is one of those games where some folks are just faster at moving the dice around, calculating modifiers, and re-rolling than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
Having played about dozen or more games since my wave 1 pledge arrived, I will say that the extra dice speed up the game a small bit but no are not entirely necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
You can never have enough dice.

Why is that? What makes dice rolling so much damn fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turbocooler wrote:
Having played about dozen or more games since my wave 1 pledge arrived, I will say that the extra dice speed up the game a small bit but no are not entirely necessary.

I agree. If everyone has their own 10 that they keep near them...or if everybody shares the same 10 in a specific spot (dice tray), then you will be fine.

If dice are scattered around the table and you have to assemble the right number every time you roll, it can be good to have extras...although if you have too many it becomes kind of annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.