Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Room 25 Ultimate» Forums » General

Subject: What is Your Favorite Way to Play? Because co-op does not seem great. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I bought this game after hearing high praise, but after two plays, I am very confused about how it is ranked so well. I assume it is because of the variants of the game.

Before my first game, I did a dry-run to teach myself the game. So I was not headed into the first game clueless.

On our first play, we had 5 people and played the basic co-op version. Literally nobody liked it.

Several months later, I still wanted to see what this game had to offer, so I played with another group of 5. We played the co-op version with an easy setup of the "Ultimate" rules and again nobody liked it.

I am open-minded person and can see the promise in games that I don't necessarily like... but I really do understand why nobody has been enjoying this game. And that means I can't get people to play a second time to try Suspicion.

So maybe you can tell me what the best variant is and provide tips on what earned it such a high rating. I would really appreciate it because I am in love with the theme/concepts of this game.
I have taught and played hundreds of games and nothing rated this highly has fallen so flat.
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
The cooperative version (as of Season 2, and I would therefore guess Ultimate as well) is actually quite good. Still, I prefer never to use any Empty Chambers, they make the cooperative, and solo modes too easy. I also always play with the MAC Cards, and the MAC Madness Cards, regardless of if we're playing Madness Level, or not.

What did you and your friends find not fun about the game? You can, due to chance, have extremely easy games of Room 25, if you find the Key Room, and Room 25 too quickly. This makes for extremely dull games, but this is easily helped by using only the nastiest Red, and Yellow Rooms (and of course coupled with the MAC Madness Cards as mentioned above).

I tend to pick the very hardest Rooms, but if the below layout is still too simple for your team, then replace the Robot Room with another Yellow, or Red Room. If it's still too simple, then switch out the two Tunnel Chambers for two Yellow Rooms.

Here are the most recent 25 Rooms that I used in a cooperative game.

Blue:
1 Central Room
1 Room 25
1 Key Room

Green:
2 Tunnel Chambers
1 Robot Room

Yellow:
2 Pivoting Rooms
5 of the toughest, or most entertaining ones (such as: 1 Vortex Room, 1 Prison Cell, 1 Cold Chamber, and 2 Dark Chambers)

Red:
2 Mortal Chambers
1 Timer Room
1 Paranoia Room
8 of the toughest, or most entertaining ones (such as: 2 Acid Baths, 2 Flooded Chambers, 2 Trapped Rooms, and 2 Shredder Rooms)

Best of luck Dizz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group loves this game! But we don't play it co-op and I don't see why anyone would want to play it co-op other than as a chill variant.

The heart of this game is the traitor system and not being able to trust whatever others say. It makes you have to take into account potentially misleading information, which makes the whole puzzle more tense and thus emotionally more interesting as an experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for the detailed response.
To answer your question, there was not a particular aspect that was the not-fun part. It's that none of it stood out as being fun. Within a minute of starting to assign actions, we would all have our moves planned (but secretly selected), and we would roll through our actions, one at a time. It was efficient, procedural, and not exciting. Even though we won on the last round. It was played cautiously because a single mistake could end the game.
I was hoping to find a video playthrough, so I could see how people approach the planning and execution actions, as well as if we're messing something up. But there is not a lot out there.
How many players do you like to play with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Room 25 with any player count. Suspicion Mode is good with 5-8 players, and perhaps best around 6 or so, but the game is so easy to tweak that it scales very well with experience. I haven't tried the Competition, and Team Modes, but do enjoy both the Cooperation, and Solo Modes. I've played the Cooperative with 2-6 players, and like it at all player counts.

Did you use the MAC Cards, including the MAC Madness Cards? In my opinion they are required for both the Cooperative, and Solo Modes. You also remembered the Alert! (alarm) that goes off if anyone finds Room 25 prior to Round 5, and how you then immediately move all the Character's Round Markers down to Round 5, and proceed play from there.

Another thing that might spice things up, if you don't already have the Room 25: Promo – The Audience promo from when the game originally launched at SPIEL 2012, then I recommend making an Audience Die. It's just a six-sided die with various Smileys on it. The 1st player each round rolls it to determine the mood of the crowd, and it will impose certain restrictions on the 1st player's Action programming. It's such a small, but thematically fun addition to the game.

Dizz, have you, or anyone in your group seen the Cube horror movie trilogy on which this game draws its inspiration? The 80s flick The Running Man also fits the madcap theme of a TV show where your life is at stake. I'm helped by having an unhealthy love of both the Cube trilogy, and The Running Man. I play up the mad reality show feel of the game.

Best of luck, and why not try the game's Suspicion Mode next time? Try to get six players together, it's a good number to get familiar with the play mode. However, you may have to explain to your players that the Rooms used during setup greatly impact play, and the difficulty for either the Guards, or the players trying to escape. The same applies to the Cooperation Mode, the game is better the more brutal you make it.

I would even recommend that you play it solitaire a handful of times to find which rooms you like, and don't.

Oh, one last point, don't let people say that a Room is Blue after looking at it. This dumb rule crept back into the Ultimate edition, and has to be house ruled to the original way of play. Only allow players to say if Rooms are Safe (Green, or Blue), Obstacle (Yellow), or Mortal Danger (Red). The game becomes a bit too easy once people say that a Room is Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.