Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I created a spreadsheet listing every map variant along with each tile used in each map variant (link at the bottom). I thought I'd share some of the more interesting statistics which surfaced as a result.

First off, here's a list of each scenario and the count of map variants. (The app distinguishes between "major" and "minor" variants, and generally it looked like the minor ones differed from one another by just a tile or two, however there may have been exceptions.)

Maps including minor variants
Cycle of Eternity 5 7
Dark Reflections 3 3
Escape From Innsmouth 2 2
Rising Tide 1 1
Shattered Bonds 3 4
What Lies Within 4 4
Dearly Departed 3 4
Cult of Sentinel Hill 3 4
Gates of Silverwood Manor 2 2
Vengeful Impulses 1 2
Astral Alchemy 3 7
Gangs of Arkham 1 1
Ill-Fated Exhibit 2 2
Total 33 43

Also of interest is which expansions/collections added new maps to existing unlocked scenarios, which may help in deciding which one to buy next.

Recurring Nightmares adds the Dearly Departed scenario, and adds a new map to each of these scenarios:
* Cycle of Eternity
* Dark Reflections
* Shattered Bonds
* What Lies Within

Suppressed Memories adds the Cult of Sentinel Hill scenario, and adds a new map to each of these scenarios:
* What Lies Within
* 2x Dearly Departed
* Astral Alchemy

If you have both the the collections above, one additional map is added to:
* Cycle of Eternity

Beyond the Threshold adds the Gates of Silverwood Manor and Vengeful Impulses scenarios, and adds a new map to each of these scenarios:
* Dark Reflections
* Cycle of Eternity (? unsure of this one—there's an asset file for it, but I couldn't get the app to start with this variant despite many restarts)

Finally, Streets of Arkham adds the Astral Alchemy, Gangs of Arkham, and Ill-Fated Exhibit scenarios, and adds a new map to each of these scenarios:
* Escape from Innsmouth
* Shattered Bonds

Here's a spreadsheet with the details if anyone's interested: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Au4WcaErEk9Ygl8QDzqAX4M2Jul-. It probably has mistakes since I just tried to grab this info from the asset files as simply as I could... I haven't actually checked these in-app.

I'd like to use this info to determine which tile sets are needed at the very beginning of a game, in part so that I can enable the 1st ed. collections but then restart if I get a map for which I don't actually have the tiles....
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lloyd
msg tools
Do the layouts vary with the number of players/investigators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tlloyd wrote:
Do the layouts vary with the number of players/investigators?

I would guess they don't, but I don't actually know....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lloyd
msg tools
I just always assumed that there were large and small versions of most maps based on the number of investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I've played a few maps with 2P vs 5P and the size was the same. They adjust by giving 2P a longer clock, weaker/fewer monsters, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Lloyd
msg tools
The first time I played Cycle of Eternity we had four investigators and the layout began with the Foyer (large tile). Since then I have played it several times with two investigators and it always starts with the Entrance Hall, which seems to me to be a smaller map. So I guess that's where my assumption came from.

It'd be nice if the app somehow let you either choose from among the possible layouts or at least request a new one. It's annoying to have to restart the scenario multiple times to try for a new layout. Plus I assume some of the layouts have identical starting tiles, so you wouldn't even know right away which layout you were playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tennessee Schaefer
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Great data collection!

Here’s something I have wondered and I think you have the data to answer, are any tiles *not* used? I was thinking specifically of the collections.

Could you easily change the pivot table to show the count of scenarios and the count of maps that each tile gets used? I was going to take a stab at it but Excel on iPad is limited and once I get to work, I probably should... work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
MonkeyFight wrote:
Could you easily change the pivot table to show the count of scenarios and the count of maps that each tile gets used?

I couldn't think of an easy way to get the pivot table to do this, but I did get a long ugly formula working which counts the variants per tile, and it looks like there are a bunch not used (even a couple from the core set). It's uploaded now, it's in the Tiles worksheet.

I can almost guarantee that there are mistakes in the data though. I went through and made sure that each tile name matched up with a known tile name, and there were a number of discrepancies, some of which I had to make best-guesses for... a side effect of the haphazard way I collected the data to begin with. It's probably mostly right though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tennessee Schaefer
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Interesting. Thanks! Strange implications of unused tiles. Plans for unreleased DLC? Backside space filler due to various planned map layouts? Plans to compliment future expansions? But why not just ship with them? A change of plans after art was commissioned? A little of all of the above?

I may take a deeper look as well. My head will explode if there are tiles (front and back) that aren’t used.

Thanks for making the data available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Koch
South Africa
flag msg tools
Some will be reproductions of the first edition tiles that haven't been used yet, the others will be filler. Most likely all will be eventually used in dlc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dare
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Just wanted to say thanks so much for doing this. I'd been searching for this exact info for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Koenig
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would you mind refreshing this list when the next expansion comes around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Maftiosi wrote:
Would you mind refreshing this list when the next expansion comes around?

I plan to, when I can find the time that is. Feel free to send me GeekMail if you notice the app get its update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Weiman
Canada
flag msg tools
This spreadsheet is so helpful!

Any chance of updating for sanctum of twilight or when horrific journeys comes out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Weiman
Canada
flag msg tools
Also the new altered fates DLC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Esposito
Italy
Napoli
flag msg tools
Kweiman wrote:
Also the new altered fates DLC?

We had several game sessions today. All expansions were used

1st session:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Streets of Arkham map

2nd session:
Sanctum of Twilight map

3rd session:
Base game map

4th session:
Beyond of Threshold map

5th session:
Base game map

No tiles were draw from Recurring Nightmare/Suppressed Memories. Looks like this DLC is made to push last expansions in order to gain more maps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.