Subject: Marketplace variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning, each player choose 4 of their cards to put down, thus creating a marketplace deck.

At the beginning of each round, a number of cards(probably the number of players) are dealt out (maybe face down first?) side by side from the marketplace

Then at the beginning of a player's turn he may initiate a bid on marketplace card(1 or more), and the winner take it into his hand.

The marketplace uses open auction(or blind) and will replenish once empty(or whenever possible) and at the last round the remaining cards which is not dealt out to players adds into marketplace deck too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally get to test this out with a group of 4.

We maintain 4 open cards at market until empty.
We used the 1-round type auction for marketplace.("blind" is just too much exercise and "open"...we didn't even want to try)

The result is that 2 of us get huge stacks of cards cause we buy more than 1 every time and the last 4 cards are bought together (with a whopping 50).
The marketplace was emptied at early season 2.

The feedback is somewhat positive that the game is somewhat different now with different "roles" - 2 with huge stacks vs 2 with limited hand.

The game was won by one of the players with limited hand as he happened to hold the right set of cards with doubles, boosting profit at later seasons. Surprisingly, final scores of the other 3 didn't differ wildly, with one 320+, one just over 300 and one sub-300.

Sadly this variant didn't work well to my expectation, handicapping players like that only limit the player's option and make him more unconfident, especially so at the first season when everyone is low on cards and have to forge trend right away with whatever they have and what's available on the marketplace.

Another problem is that players may exploit marketplace by buying in bulks, just like what happened with us. Though we did have a good time, I feel that in the long run this would be more convolution than fun.

In future I would try a different marketplace:
-Only 1 card is turned up every time.
-marketplace card has a fixed price of 5.
-every turn you either buy from marketplace or sell from your hand, not both.

And I might consider just placing the marketplace on top of distribution deck to see if messing with later distribution can be fun, of course we would have to set a clear distribution order then.

This variant was originally conceived with the stay-in-turn variant in mind, sadly we didn't have enough time to test it together. Next time perhaps, I'll have my revengedevil.

*You might ask why change the game so much?
It's because with the original rules player never really runs out of money or cards, everyone is just maximizing profit or boycotting someone. Yes, I doth think it is too dry, I wanted a more exciting game, and I wanted to like this game very much.
Perhaps that is not right, perhaps I should move on or go back to playing planet mule, but for now I'm gonna try.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is that you don’t like Modern Art and you are attempting to create a different game. Perhaps try Medici.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gan
Malaysia
Johor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will, if I ever run into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.