Subject: 3 actions variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Do you think the game would be too easy if we do 3 actions each instead of 2 ? We dont wanan play 2 investigators each but we want a smooth run because the game is more difficult with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it out against one of the harder Ancient Ones, like Cthulhu, and see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely recommend 2 investigators each. 3 actions will definitely upset the balance. I usually play either solo with 4 investigators, or 2 each with my partner. Once you do a round or two, it's not that hard to keep straight. Use stacking business card holders to keep the cards separate.

If you still don't want to do that, search around the forum, there have been some discussions around house ruling for 2 investigators. I seem to recall most of the tweaks were around adding movement, not adding generic actions. In the end, it is your game, so do what is the most fun for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
Do you think the game would be too easy if we do 3 actions each instead of 2 ? We dont wanan play 2 investigators each but we want a smooth run because the game is more difficult with 2 players.

My guess is that it definitely will be too easy and I'd never do it, personally... but one of the great things about co-op games is that you can "cheat" as much as you want and it doesn't matter, as long as everyone is having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have only played the Core game, I suggest trying Focus first, that might make it more manageable for 2 Players. (If you don't know what Focus is, we will be happy to explain, no additional purchase required)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Father Lombardi
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I do think 3 actions would make things a little too easy. Maybe just hand pick your investigators. Trish or another that can easily get clues would be a good choice. Really, you just have to switch up your strategy. Focus on the mysteries and ignore gates/rumors. With only two players mysteries can usually be solved with only one or two clues and Epic monsters only have 4 toughness.

Like Kevin says though, the important part is that everyone is having fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in favor of starting out with an easy game as you learn and then ramp up the difficulty. IMO having only two investigators could be hard even with 3 actions each. For example, if rumors are sending you to opposite ends of the board. Also, you will have to consider if you want to be able to repeat the same action or not. If you can't repeat actions then I don't think having 3 actions available will make a big difference.

I say give it a try and see what happens. Don't feel bad if you lose anyway. This game can be brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.