Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of games, and these are just about the BEST components I've ever seen. Huge kudos to pandasaurus for the quality, quantity and design.

As I noted in a comment on KS...

I expected the dinomeeples to be light and hollow plastic. They are not. They are solid, and weighty for their size. Terrific.

The coins are ridiculous. You'd have to actually hold one physically in your hand to really appreciate how heavy and pretty and ridiculously overproduced they are. Best coins I've ever seen in a game, bar-none.

The slap bracelet, which I thought sounded gimmicky, is super cool. Most slap bracelets are just some cheap nylon stretched over a section of measuring tape. THIS slap bracelet is actually a solid piece of molded rubber. And it looks so awesome I seriously may consider wearing it out of the house as a conversation piece.

The dice are heavy and pretty.

The list goes on... the cardboard is high quality... the player boards are double-stock so that you can place cube-markers into slots (instead of leaving them to slide around on a flat board).

Really, the whole thing, just an absolutely top-notch, masterful board game production. Their experience shows. Bravo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed it seems the slap bracelet is backwards.

But yes, best coins in gaming history. And the dice are fantastic other than not matching the colors on the player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

But yes, best coins in gaming history. And the dice are fantastic other than not matching the colors on the player boards.

The coins are better than the Scythe coins? Hmm... (same goes for the rest of the components)

Fun game, but this sentiment is surprising...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

The coins are better than the Scythe coins? Hmm... (same goes for the rest of the components)

Yep, no contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that some of the metal coins have paint coming off and they look "bad". Have you noticed this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice...right on... I think a friend got the deluxe version, so I can decide for myself. I've got and have only played the retail version. Not a big fan of plastic...I enjoy the feel of wood...(hoping Brian Lewis doesnt see this lol). The dice are really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
I've heard that some of the metal coins have paint coming off and they look "bad". Have you noticed this?

They get scratched, yes, but it’s kinda hard to avoid with large pieces of metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

Yep, no contest.

Yep. Better than scythe.

They're less like coins and more like heavy metal poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

Yep, no contest.

Yep. Better than scythe.

Ahh...so theyre thick and larger then? Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orson9999999 wrote:
OutOfHabit wrote:

They get scratched, yes, but it’s kinda hard to avoid with large pieces of metal.

Oooh...thats no good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
District wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

Yep, no contest.

Yep. Better than scythe.

Ahh...so theyre thick and larger then? Interesting.

You can actually use them as slammers with the pogs.

And yep...I really like the coins. The engraving on the backs with the logo and dino skulls is really great. Very glad that I Kickstarted this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(つ✧ω✧)つ /(◕ᆺ◕)\
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

agreed on the slap bracelet

disagree on the coins, the paint chipped on quite a few of mine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ehui wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

agreed on the slap bracelet

You know if they had flipped the slap bracelet around, then there would be other people saying it was backwards. Personally I prefer the Dinosaur Island logo on the outside (the way it is), visible, rather than just a generic-looking "fast pass" text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Krueger
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Oh please.

Obvious factory error is obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I noticed the slap bracelet being backwards too, fast pass makes sense to be on the outside.

OutOfHabit wrote:

I think the coins are amazing (they feel brass and maybe 1/8" thick) but this is my only concern. The paint is already chipping, and if enough paint chips I wonder if they'll start blending together because they're the same size, or if the number will be hard to read with no background. Different color metal is the solution some games use but that presents its own challenges.

Something I haven't noticed people mention is the tiny cubes. They have a little weight, which surprised me. Maybe there's a resin core. They're kind of shiny and polished like tiny chiclet cubes. Unfortunately they're noticeably smaller than the board holes they're meant to fill, but it should still be playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kruzer219 wrote:
Oh please.

Uh, we approved the slap bracelet that way because it has the games logo visible. We had to pick a side to be 'up'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Krueger
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
stooge wrote:
kruzer219 wrote:
Oh please.

Uh, we approved the slap bracelet that way because it has the games logo visible. We had to pick a side to be 'up'.

Pandasaurus,

I apologize, I shouldn’t have labeled it as aan error if it’s the design choice you made.

Honestly, I admit I am letting my concerns over some of the communications from the Kickstarter affect me, too much probably. Now that I have my Deluxe copy in hand I can say that all the components aren’t flawless, but they are good. They are good enough for a Deluxe game, in fact.

I didn’t even care when the initial pictures of the plastic components showed evident molding flaws. I do admit I WAS bothered by your claim that these were designed features for picking up meeples in response to other backers posted concerns. I never believed that and now having the components in my possession I feel affirmed in my beliefs.

Trust in a company I support is very important to me, and I don’t like feeling my trust is compromised. I wonder if you were attempting to make a light-hearted joke about an unfortunate situation outside of your control and it just fell really, really flat. Not clarifying anything for so long after that left me annoyed.

But that’s where I’m wrong. It really isn’t a big deal to me and I need to let it go. I don’t want to disparage your hard work. I’m sorry.

I haven’t had a chance to play the game yet, but I’m excited to. I love the theme and the design. I will leave an honest rating and review as soon as I am able.

I do think 100% that you guys work hard to create good games and also that you care about making your customers happy.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words, Ken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Race
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am in the middle of unboxing this game.

The box was so heavy I couldn't believe it was a game in the UPS box. I thought maybe it was a part for the paper shredder that I also got in the mail today.

Anyway, I quickly found out that the box is so heavy because of the coins. They are insane and definitely the coolest coins (and heaviest) that I've seen in any game. I own the Scythe upgrade coins too and these are nicer... different but nicer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fishman2020 wrote:
I am in the middle of unboxing this game.

The box was so heavy I couldn't believe it was a game in the UPS box. I thought maybe it was a part for the paper shredder that I also got in the mail today.

Anyway, I quickly found out that the box is so heavy because of the coins. They are insane and definitely the coolest coins (and heaviest) that I've seen in any game. I own the Scythe upgrade coins too and these are nicer... different but nicer.

That is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my coins have scratched paint too. I chalk it up to "dino claws".

I wish the plastic cubes were a bit larger, but I understand the need for manufacturing tolerances. It's better for the cubes to be a bit too small rather than a bit too big.

All of my game boards were damaged in the lower-left corner, likely due to the weight of the coins pressing on the diagonally opposite corner when the game was in transport from China. Pandasaurus has already offered to replace my boards when their extra components come in stock. Great customer service, IMO. Meanwhile, my copy is playable, and confirmed fun!

EDIT - Oh, and I have to say that the amber-colored DNA dice are just...WOW! They look and feel so good, are extremely functional, and really make the Research phase fun. Best dice in my entire game collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the coins are very nice. I received Tavern Masters on the same day. I have to say it’s a toss up the coins for that look like they came straight from a mint. I think I like those better. After playing tetris with the components of this game though I am absolutely thrilled to get it on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chan chan
msg tools
Is there any way for me to get more blank recipes, upgrades, and dinosaurs? I want to make some more. If any of you have some you want to sell, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chanchan720 wrote:
Is there any way for me to get more blank recipes, upgrades, and dinosaurs? I want to make some more. If any of you have some you want to sell, let me know.

I can. I don't use blank components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:

Or tokens from arcades at theme parks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.