Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I am going to play a day of ASoBaH coming up. I am a fan of it, and also a fan of Rogue Stars which is similar in several ways. I like how Rogue Stars handles the “seize the initiative” roll. I am looking to introduce it to ASoBaH. Here is my idea, please tear it apart!

The change is when two or three dice roll failures on an activation. The opponent player may choose to either use the failures as reactions OR roll to seize the initiative. To seize the initiative the opponent calls the failures, and if two of the dice meet or exceed the target number (TN) to succeed the initiative moves to the opponent. The TN starts a six but is reduced by one for each activation marker per five figures on the player’s side. A result of one is an automatic failure on the dice that rolled it.

For example, the player has activated three characters. He attempts to activate another figure and rolls three dice. All three fail. The opponent decides to try and seize the initiative. He will roll three dice trying for a TN of six minus three (the number of previous activations) for a total TN of three. He rolls six, two, and five. Two successes mean the initiative will switch. If the player were fielding twelve figures, the TN would be reduced by 1 for every three activation markers.

The main difference between ASoBaH is the force size. Rogue Stars is a small skirmish system, while the intent is for ASoBaH to field larger armies. However, ASoBaH in the rules as written do not scale very big. To make it work better, I added the idea that the TN drops based on multiple tokens for larger battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Cool. Post here how it goes, please. Seizing the initiative was one of the "controversial" additions to ASoBH - I'm not sure I like it yet!

Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I liked it, but I did not love it. Rogue Stars made it work wonderfully. In ASoBaH it is always the same chance of grabbing it, whether the first or tenth figure. In Rogue Stars it is kind of hard to grab it on the first figure, but as more activations happen, it becomes easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems complex. Some of my friends HATED losing initiative in ASOBH -- I guess this makes that harder to do -- am I reading that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes. It starts hard and gets easier as activations happen. This is basically how it works in Rogue Stars, except having d6s instead of d20s. It really is not complex, and the reactions really make the fight erratic, like real battle is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.