Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Height advantage and spray fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a sitation which I've seen occur at least once: a multi-hex firegroup spray fires against 2 adjacent hexes. The firing pieces are on 2 different elevation levels, as are the 2 target hexes, with the result that at least one firing piece has height advantage over the lower elevation target hex- hence +1FP, and the higher elevation target hex has height advantage over at least one firing piece- hence -1FP. Am I right in thinking that the modifiers would just cancel each other out? I'm sure the answer should be yes (and I think that's how we played it), but I just thought I'd ask here to be sure.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Here's a sitation which I've seen occur at least once: a multi-hex firegroup spray fires against 2 adjacent hexes. The firing pieces are on 2 different elevation levels, as are the 2 target hexes, with the result that at least one firing piece has height advantage over the lower elevation target hex- hence +1FP, and the higher elevation target hex has height advantage over at least one firing piece- hence -1FP. Am I right in thinking that the modifiers would just cancel each other out? I'm sure the answer should be yes (and I think that's how we played it), but I just thought I'd ask here to be sure.


It would be +1 against the lower hex and -1 against the higher hex.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:
Here's a sitation which I've seen occur at least once: a multi-hex firegroup spray fires against 2 adjacent hexes. The firing pieces are on 2 different elevation levels, as are the 2 target hexes, with the result that at least one firing piece has height advantage over the lower elevation target hex- hence +1FP, and the higher elevation target hex has height advantage over at least one firing piece- hence -1FP. Am I right in thinking that the modifiers would just cancel each other out? I'm sure the answer should be yes (and I think that's how we played it), but I just thought I'd ask here to be sure.


It would be +1 against the lower hex and -1 against the higher hex.

But spray fire is resolved with a single dice roll, generating a single fire attack total. So that doesn't work Mark.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:
Here's a sitation which I've seen occur at least once: a multi-hex firegroup spray fires against 2 adjacent hexes. The firing pieces are on 2 different elevation levels, as are the 2 target hexes, with the result that at least one firing piece has height advantage over the lower elevation target hex- hence +1FP, and the higher elevation target hex has height advantage over at least one firing piece- hence -1FP. Am I right in thinking that the modifiers would just cancel each other out? I'm sure the answer should be yes (and I think that's how we played it), but I just thought I'd ask here to be sure.


It would be +1 against the lower hex and -1 against the higher hex.

But spray fire is resolved with a single dice roll, generating a single fire attack total. So that doesn't work Mark.


You're right. I went back to verify it from this thread.

So, yeah, it would net out to no modifier.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I forgot the search function this time. Thanks Mark.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Ah, I forgot the search function this time. Thanks Mark.


I Googled it. Works better than BGG's search. laugh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:
Ah, I forgot the search function this time. Thanks Mark.


I Googled it. Works better than BGG's search. laugh


BGG's search function sometimes gets unfairly slammed: I just searched "spray fire height" and that old thread was the 2nd thread returned (after this new thread)!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I find BGG's search function quite adequate too, although I'll bear in mind trying Google if BGG fails to return any useful results. (Thinks: maybe I'll try it on that board edge LOS thread I've been trying to find.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.