Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys,

I am looking for a solo wargame that hits some/all of the following -
WW2 - Soviet front
Educational/Historic (a good historical representation of the time/place/etc)
Atmospheric (through material that comes with the game or advice of books/movies)

Essentially looking to try out solo wargaming and would like to actually learn some history through doing so.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, are you looking for a game that is purpose designed to be a solo experience, or are you open to playing two player wargames that are highly suitable for solo play? I ask because most of the hobby does the latter, though in recent years the number of purpose-designed solo only/first games have increased a bit.

Also, what scale are you looking for? Tactical (squads and platoons, maybe companies), operational (battalions, regiments, brigades, maybe divisions), or strategic (divisions, corps, armies, and maybe army groups)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 with Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion seem to fit the bill. I agree that there are many excellent two player Eastern Front games that can be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42

with

Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say this...I've played Conflict of Heroes and it left me flat. I just couldn't square the command points system with tactical combat. The game just seemed a bit too dry and abstract for me and I'm not sure I'd recommend it, although a) it is easy to learn, and b) I've heard nothing but good things about the solo module, so there's that. If you do go this direction, then per my original note, keep in mind that this is a tactical level game, great for staging small unit firefights. However, if you want to recreate the great operations and campaigns of the Eastern Front, this is not the game you are looking for. I might suggest Panzer Battles: 11th Panzer on the Chir River for something at a higher scale. The SCS series is easy to get into, and the chit pull activation system is ideal for solo play, although the game was designed primarily as a two player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalingrad: Inferno on the Volga

Offers Solo, 2 player co-op, 1 v 1, and 2 v 1 play.

Wooden blocks. Full sized cards.

Fabulous map, made from Luftwaffe recon photos and then computer-zapped to be gorgeous.

Average game time is 40-60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Stalingrad: Inferno on the Volga

Offers Solo, 2 player co-op, 1 v 1, and 2 v 1 play.

Wooden blocks. Full sized cards.

Fabulous map, made from Luftwaffe recon photos and then computer-zapped to be gorgeous.

Average game time is 40-60 minutes.

Hi Kevin. This looks good. Is it available yet? I thought they were running a Kickstarter on it at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Strike & Counterstrike quite a bit. It fits your criteria too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Barnes
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the recommendation of Conflict of Heroes (COH), especially with the Solo Expansion. It might not be the be-all, end-all of WWII tactical wargames, but it's relatively quick to learn, easy to teach, and gives (at least to me) a good representation of the tension of combat. Plus, it has quite a few units and scenarios to try out, especially if you get the Fire Fight Generator expansion.

Another one that I like a lot is Panzer, but it's more focused on armored combat and the basic rules are more involved and the advanced rules are much more complex that COH.

Edit: Added a link to Panzer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
To clarify, are you looking for a game that is purpose designed to be a solo experience, or are you open to playing two player wargames that are highly suitable for solo play? I ask because most of the hobby does the latter, though in recent years the number of purpose-designed solo only/first games have increased a bit.

Also, what scale are you looking for? Tactical (squads and platoons, maybe companies), operational (battalions, regiments, brigades, maybe divisions), or strategic (divisions, corps, armies, and maybe army groups)?

Multiplayer with solo rules is fine. I just want to be sure I can play it solo.

As to scale. I guess 'historic' scale is more important than actual scale. If we know enough about a platoon to make it into a game I would like to learn that. I am assuming it's easier to get games based on higher level strategic operations. Either will do, I just want it to be educational and atmospheric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim woodley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

Vlad,

You can try The Barbarossa Campaign by VPG. It covers the entire East
Front 41-45 or has shorter scenarios.

It has a novel play system(no die rolls)and has a card draw component that outlines the basic course of the war in the east.

It is quite the engrossing experience.

Tim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Seneru
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Eastern Front Solitaire.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8756/eastern-front-solit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taskforce7 wrote:

Vlad,

You can try The Barbarossa Campaign by VPG. It covers the entire East
Front 41-45 or has shorter scenarios.

It has a novel play system(no die rolls)and has a card draw component that outlines the basic course of the war in the east.

It is quite the engrossing experience.

Tim.

And it's on sale at VPG's website as part of their 12 Games of Christmas sale. I am so tempted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all. Great suggestions so far. Some of them are not available for purchase in Canada but many are. Will be checking them out on youtube and then will look at picking one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hi Kevin. This looks good. Is it available yet? I thought they were running a Kickstarter on it at the moment.

Yes, Stalingrad Inferno is on kickstarter. The good news about that is that VentoNuovo has done 3 kickstarters already and delivered all three AHEAD of the target date. I don't know if this one will also be early-- they have a helluvalotta computer work on the map to do. But they're reliable for keeping their promises.

I'm cautious about posting kickstarter links as the system sometimes treats those like antibodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943 and A Victory Denied: Crisis at Smolensk, July-September, 1941
Both on east front WWII. They are run via chit pulls that activate various headquarters. No hidden information so very soloable, and the rules are quite easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Realized that some of these make you play as Nazi side. I'd prefer player side to be USSR against nazis. Didn't even think about that when asking that question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
doughboyca wrote:
A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943 and A Victory Denied: Crisis at Smolensk, July-September, 1941
Both on east front WWII. They are run via chit pulls that activate various headquarters. No hidden information so very soloable, and the rules are quite easy

Saw those but couldn't find them for sale here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mangz
msg tools
mb
Vladk wrote:
Hey guys,

I am looking for a solo wargame that hits some/all of the following -
WW2 - Soviet front
Educational/Historic (a good historical representation of the time/place/etc)
Atmospheric (through material that comes with the game or advice of books/movies)

Essentially looking to try out solo wargaming and would like to actually learn some history through doing so.

Thank you!

A new one from Dan Verssen Games (DVG) is Pavlov's House. I believe this is still in being worked on having recently completed a successful kickstarter. This is eastern front and gives you three different views of the map. The game comes with a historical booklet so you can learn about the subject matter. Looks like it should fit your desire perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I've heard nothing but good things about the solo module, so there's that.

You did not talk to me then : - )

If the main game is dry the solo module is a box full of dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another entry for Solo.

In fact, it's two different games from WW2 Pacific in the same package.

Wake Island and Peleliu.

Islands of the Damned: Wake Island and Peleliu

You play the US in both games. Defending at Wake and Attacking a Peleliu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United Kingdom
Newport Pagnell
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 forThe Barbarossa Campaignand Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion ,both pure solo designs.

No Retreat! The Russian Frontalso works really well solo if you get the (cheap)solo pack from VPG (not sure if they still do it, mind). It's actually probably my favourite solo game, as I don't usually care for AI solo games. But with this one you still have some control of both sides but get general directives you have to follow for the non-player side. Plus the killer twist is that if you are doing too well, but haven't quite won yet, you have to swap sides - a world of pain. And the cards give some of the historical flavour you are after.

Also it was, I believe, designed by a Canuck, so you really should be buying it out of patriotism. Plus he'll probably give you a game some time if you mail him. I mean, it's only a small country, isn't it, and you all probably know each other, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladk wrote:
doughboyca wrote:

Hi Vlad,

historymakingames over on eBay has "A Victory Lost". He is located in Calgary, has really reasonable prices quoted in Canadian dollars, a great selection, and decent shipping. I've bought a lot of games from him.

Just in case you're interested in this game... (it's really good! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
jackcoostow wrote:
Vladk wrote:
doughboyca wrote:

Hi Vlad,

historymakingames over on eBay has "A Victory Lost". He is located in Calgary, has really reasonable prices quoted in Canadian dollars, a great selection, and decent shipping. I've bought a lot of games from him.

Thanks! Good prices but shipping isn't ideal. Since I have zero frame of reference when it comes to war games it probably makes sense to pick up something local that's still in print before I go hunting down out of print games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Bugden
Canada
Fall River
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladk wrote:
jackcoostow wrote:
Vladk wrote:
doughboyca wrote:

Hi Vlad,

Thanks! Good prices but shipping isn't ideal. Since I have zero frame of reference when it comes to war games it probably makes sense to pick up something local that's still in print before I go hunting down out of print games.

No problem. There are 2 brick and mortar stores in your area that also have an online presence: boardgamebliss 50 Milner Ave, Scarborough, and 401 Games - 518 Younge St, Toronto (also in Vaughan). I've bought from both online and have been very happy. historymakingames has a better selection of wargames, but at least these are drivable from Mississauga. You could check out their selection online, then drive over and take a look!

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.