Grant F.
msg tools
I've finally got the same 2 players in addition to myself to come every week so now I can take advantage and play games that are better with the same people.

I have the "Legacy": games : Pandemic Season 1, Risk, Time Stories, Charterstone.

Apart from Pandemic I haven't played any others.

Can someone recommend different campaign style games? These do not have to be the labelled "Legacy" games but are campaign style games nevertheless.

I know Time stories is one.

I was thinking of Gloomhaven, 7th Continent (when I get it) but they take a very long time.

What about Legends of Andor?

What games are playable in one evening of 3-4 hours, yet can finish maybe in 3 to 4 more sessions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention that Gloomhaven would take a long time, which is true, but it sounds like you kind of have the ideal setup for something like that. Not to mention that, should things change down the road, the system is flexible in how it handles dropping or adding new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Legendary wrote:
You mention that Gloomhaven would take a long time, which is true, but it sounds like you kind of have the ideal setup for something like that. Not to mention that, should things change down the road, the system is flexible in how it handles dropping or adding new players.

I kind of have a core of 5 people. 2 of which can almost come anytime as one is retired.

The other 3 have variable schedules. Most importantly, they are all experienced gamers and play anything.

I've been playing a lot of light to medium games lately and would like to get into a more meatier style of game play without being overwhelmed by complexity..

Adventure or RPG type games can be a lot of drawn out fun. Does Above and Below and Near and Far fit into what I am thinking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. There are 4 series of it now. Each game takes 1-2 hours, but the key point is that you are progressing your character through the story, leveling her up, and getting her new gear. You can't really add other players to the game later, as I often craft my character to work well with my other players.

Each base game comes with 8 to 10 missions, and each deck box (#2-6) has another 5 missions in it (Deck box #1 is in the core box). This means that the standard adventures are about 35 games long, but will go longer if you fail to catch the villain. I have played Skulls and Shackles to completion twice, meaning I have played close to 80 games of it. Well worth the money.

Oops. I just realized your last sentence says "3 to 4 more sessions" not "3-4 or more sessions." 35 games is a long commitment, but its cost effective.

To get closer to your structure, I would point toward:
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game - Base box is a 5 mission campaign. Each game is 60-90 minutes I would guess. The only expansions are more characters. Game is out of print, but the base game is not hard to track down currently.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game - I really like the layout of this, but it gets pricey, depending on how you want to play it. That said, the base game comes with a 3 game story that is pretty cool. Maybe 60-90 minute games each. So the base story could last you 4 hours probably. After that you can get an expansion arc storyline, which I believe winds up being 6-7 missions. I haven't finished one yet, though. So someone else might need to contribute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
nukesniper wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. There are 4 series of it now. Each game takes 1-2 hours, but the key point is that you are progressing your character through the story, leveling her up, and getting her new gear. You can't really add other players to the game later, as I often craft my character to work well with my other players.

Each base game comes with 8 to 10 missions, and each deck box (#2-6) has another 5 missions in it (Deck box #1 is in the core box). This means that the standard adventures are about 35 games long, but will go longer if you fail to catch the villain. I have played Skulls and Shackles to completion twice, meaning I have played close to 80 games of it. Well worth the money.

Oops. I just realized your last sentence says "3 to 4 more sessions" not "3-4 or more sessions." 35 games is a long commitment, but its cost effective.

To get closer to your structure, I would point toward:
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game - Base box is a 5 mission campaign. Each game is 60-90 minutes I would guess. The only expansions are more characters. Game is out of print, but the base game is not hard to track down currently.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game - I really like the layout of this, but it gets pricey, depending on how you want to play it. That said, the base game comes with a 3 game story that is pretty cool. Maybe 60-90 minute games each. So the base story could last you 4 hours probably. After that you can get an expansion arc storyline, which I believe winds up being 6-7 missions. I haven't finished one yet, though. So someone else might need to contribute.

My friends tend to like a variety of games, hence the 3 to 4 more sessions comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions might work for you. I believe most missions finish in under 2 hours, and there are 10 total throughout the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might like Dragonfire or its predecessor Shadowrun: Crossfire. Not a scripted campaign (at least not in Shadowrun... Dragonfire may be different), but a set of cooperative scenarios with varying difficulty, and you can purchase upgrades for your characters in between missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
DoomTurtle wrote:
Mechs vs. Minions might work for you. I believe most missions finish in under 2 hours, and there are 10 total throughout the campaign.

I actually have access to that game. Maybe I try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauer
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Euro Power
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above...and Memoir '44. More suited to 2 player, but you can do a Campaign with 2v2 rules. Doesn't change the game rules or gameplay much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barx M
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs Minions is a fun one.

Arcadia Quest
If you want a competitive campaign then this may work for your group. You select a guild of 3 heroes. Your guild races to complete quests and slay characters from opposing members guilds. You earn cash and buy upgrades so your guild members become more powerful through the campaign, but so does the other guilds and enemies.

Warning: be sure to only play with good friends as this can get really backstabby. And the campaign is more character/guild building instead of story based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Meadweizer wrote:
Mechs vs Minions is a fun one.

Arcadia Quest
If you want a competitive campaign then this may work for your group. You select a guild of 3 heroes. Your guild races to complete quests and slay characters from opposing members guilds. You earn cash and buy upgrades so your guild members become more powerful through the campaign, but so does the other guilds and enemies.

Warning: be sure to only play with good friends as this can get really backstabby. And the campaign is more character/guild building instead of story based.

Shoot I got that one too. Also Blood Rage and a couple of other Dungeon crawlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Scenario-based" and "campaign" is essentially the same thing for your search, I assume?

Tragedy Looper...!? It is a 1-vs-everyone deduction/bluffing game. (This game is fine with 3 players.)
The game comes with 10 scenarios.
It is a very strange game. People tend to really love it or not--definitely not for everyone but had to give it a mention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Near and Far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
I got Near and Far and Tragedy Looper. Only played Near and Far once. Never opened Tragedy Looper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror the Card Game - can be pricey to keep up with the campaign (mythos) packs, but if you would be willing to share the cost I think it would be an awesome experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest Star Wars Imperial Assault campaign mode rather than skirmish

+1 Memoir '44

Some of the D&D board games eg. Temple of Elemental Evil may suit the bill...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like you need to crack open some of those excellent games sitting on the shelf, rather than buying another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.