Subject: The day without BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't access BGG at work today. Some proxy setting issue. It sucked not to be able to get on, but OTOH, I am perturbed at how much more work I got done shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I would probably be more productive too if I couldn't access BGG at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try bgg.cc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Did you try bgg.cc?
yes. It's blocked

EDIT: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan parker
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincs England
flag msg tools
badge
Rolling Sixes all the way!
mbmbmbmbmb
A day without bgg isn't really a day at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this problem in the past. This is because it's blocked by some firewalls as miss-categorized as online games.

Have you tried in internet explorer? Usually, corporate solutions offer more details about the problem in Internet Explorer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danevilparker wrote:
Well, a work day, but yeah, I get your point. Like in an internet or water outage, you look up stuff or try to turn the faucet reflexively despite knowing.

jamuki wrote:
I've had this problem in the past. This is because it's blocked by some firewalls as miss-categorized as online games.

Have you tried in internet explorer? Usually, corporate solutions offer more details about the problem in Internet Explorer.
Yes. What would be helpful? Clicking on the help button/option and researching what it says?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
danevilparker wrote:
Well, a work day, but yeah, I get your point. Like in an internet or water outage, you look up stuff or try to turn the faucet reflexively despite knowing.

jamuki wrote:

Yes. What would be helpful? Clicking on the help button/option and researching what it says?

Which kind of info is displayed in Internet Explorer? In my setup, the category in which the page was classified was shown: in my game case "online gaming" and I could use that to report to the firewall provider that BGG was incorrectly classified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamuki wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
danevilparker wrote:

jamuki wrote:

Which kind of info is displayed in Internet Explorer? In my setup, the category in which the page was classified was shown: in my game case "online gaming" and I could use that to report to the firewall provider that BGG was incorrectly classified.
Not sure how the firewall settings are done at my workplace. I'm assuming this may not be something I can submit a request for change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that I do not see any other way of going ahead [There are of course ways to sidestep the proxy, but they will probably get you in trouble with IT, so I do not recommend it]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamuki wrote:
Sorry to hear that I do not see any other way of going ahead [There are of course ways to sidestep the proxy, but they will probably get you in trouble with IT, so I do not recommend it]
Last time this happened (roughly 6 to 10 years ago), the BGG admin did something from their end so that I (and other BGG users who lodged the same concern) could access this site again. BGG staff changed the site's classification from "gaming" to... not sure specifically, but something in the likes of "[not gaming]".

But yeah, I'd rather not actively do stuff to bypass the company firewall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.