Subject: Vexing Imp (Chapter 5) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Egeland
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The special instructions say to place stunned imps into a special out of play pile.
My question is when I go through the entire master deck and need to shuffle the discard pile, do I leave these imp cards out, or add them back in?
I'm guessing I should put them back in or else the deck would be significantly smaller, but clarification would be nice.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Egeland
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After playing through this session, I've changed my mind. I do not think that the imps in the out of play pile should be reshuffled into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
amegeland wrote:
After playing through this session, I've changed my mind. I do not think that the imps in the out of play pile should be reshuffled into the deck.

That's correct. They don't get reshuffled back into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bryant
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I just played against the Vexing Imp and found the adventure unplayably difficult: we literally had an average of 2.5 cards every hand, could not purchase anything because of it, could not do any real damage, and so the enemies simply stacked up and up until they easily killed us (the boss had 68HP at the end).

It was least fun I've had in a game for a long time. Not because we were beaten - that's fine, bring it on, etc. - but any game that robs you of your cards or forces you to skip turns I consider "lazy programming" by game designers, because *you* are no longer playing and having a good time, the inanimate deck is.

So has anyone else had this experience and can offer advice or words of encouragement or house rules to make this fun?
Also, does this game just get more and more irritating - do the bosses make sure you never really get to fully play everything you've got - or was that boss a one-off?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
stormbirdd wrote:
My wife and I just played against the Vexing Imp and found the adventure unplayably difficult: we literally had an average of 2.5 cards every hand, could not purchase anything because of it, could not do any real damage, and so the enemies simply stacked up and up until they easily killed us (the boss had 68HP at the end).

It was least fun I've had in a game for a long time. Not because we were beaten - that's fine, bring it on, etc. - but any game that robs you of your cards or forces you to skip turns I consider "lazy programming" by game designers, because *you* are no longer playing and having a good time, the inanimate deck is.

So has anyone else had this experience and can offer advice or words of encouragement or house rules to make this fun?
Also, does this game just get more and more irritating - do the bosses make sure you never really get to fully play everything you've got - or was that boss a one-off?

Thanks in advance!
I know it is a late answer, but we had the same problem in our first game against the Vexing Imp. Whatever we bought (and there was not a lot that we could buy due to high price cards in the market) and then drew, we had to discard. However, we tried again and we soundly beat the imp. For us (we played Thief and Ranger), it was a case of getting a few champions with damage abilities onto the board and a very early use of the red elixir (that we drew as reward) to kill an annoying minion that forces champions to enter play exerted. As soon as we managed that, the imp had no chance at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick May
United States
Pinellas Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LovingAngel wrote:
I know it is a late answer, but we had the same problem in our first game against the Vexing Imp. Whatever we bought (and there was not a lot that we could buy due to high price cards in the market) and then drew, we had to discard. However, we tried again and we soundly beat the imp. For us (we played Thief and Ranger), it was a case of getting a few champions with damage abilities onto the board and a very early use of the red elixir (that we drew as reward) to kill an annoying minion that forces champions to enter play exerted. As soon as we managed that, the imp had no chance at all.

We've lost twice now to the Vexing Imp. The first time was due to me playing it wrong and drawing two cards per Master Step when the Imp hit level 2 (thinking it worked the same as the Enthralled Regulars). We thought after that goof, taking him down playing it right would be easy, but after getting him down to about 17 HP, we got stomped again. When you won, did you beat him before he leveled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LovingAngel wrote:
stormbirdd wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Our first play of this last night was even worse. In addition to the imps, we had an elite minion out who attacked for 4 or 5 and made all champions come into play exhausted. So we could not play any champions because they would just die immediately before they swung. The imp also had two minions out that both healed it for 4. So imp ended up with like 100+ hp before it escaped. Our decks were tiny, I often had rounds where I had 1 or even 0 cards in my turn.

It was unplayably horrible and honestly almost made me give up on the game entirely it was so frustrating.

This is a HORRIBLY designed encounter and should for SURE not be the second one a player can encounter.

I think we can go back and win if we split up red cards on both teams so the imps die to playing them, but I kept getting horrible luck and getting 2 new imps any turn I had gotten rid of them or discard 3 anytime I had imps around.

To beat this encounter, there are some tactics, but they require LUCK to pull off.

I think we will go back and do the other branch instead, because I know we CAN beat the imp, but it is about as fun as rolling a d20 over and over until we get a certain result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.