Subject: Arty FO Activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you confirm for me that Arty FOs must be attached to a higher HQ (Company CO, XO or 1st SGT) and that for the Arty FO to be activated to carry out an action such as call for fire, then that higher HQ must expend a command?

Or the Arty FO could also be activatd through an initiative command.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGUSTI BARRIO RUIZ
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Activate the FO is not the correct word, it's not necessary. You only need to attach him to one HQ. For example, if you attach the FO to the 1st Sargeant then it can receive orders from the 1st Sargeant, the XO CO or the CO.

Initiative command also works when you want to use him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commanding an observer is more flexible communication wise than other units, attached or accompanying (co-location in the same card with any other unit that has a radio in the same Net as the spotter/commander) is good enough.

Haplo_Patryn wrote:
Activate the FO is not the correct word, it's not necessary. You only need to attach him to one HQ. For example, if you attach the FO to the 1st Sargeant then it can receive orders from the 1st Sargeant, the XO CO or the CO.

Initiative command also works when you want to use him.

My bold.

benhull wrote:
Jfuller wrote:
Thanks for all the help, but I still have one question:

The CO must be in communication with the FO to order a call for fire. Does that mean the only methods are visual-verbal and runners?

I was thinking about giving the FO a CO TAC Net as well as an Arty, but that wouldn't be possible since "FOs may not communicate on that network".

The FO can be given a CO TAC radio or phone, there is no specific restriction against this, only the limit number of devices. The easiest way is to attach an FO to PLT HQ and then the PLT HQ can activate the FO for a call for fire.

Thanks
Ben

Activate in this case means command/order, could have misled some especially due to language differences.

benhull wrote:

FOs must work closely with HQ units be it CO HQ, attached to PLT HQs, or with the CO Staff, as they need to commanded to call for fire. There is always a difficulty in how fast to push them forward. Typically the infantry will secure a decent vantage point and then a HQ and FO will move into it to support further maneuver with artillery or mortar fire. This is how FOs actually work with rifle companies, there are other roles for FOs outside the scope of the game. It is uncommon to secure a perfect observation post for the entire map.

If the FO (or MO) is accompanying a unit on the same net then you can relay commands, It is an exception due to how they operate, in general Observers would find a way to let those on the fire and company NETs know where they are via call signs.

benhull wrote:
Acererak wrote:
Hi again

I read in the new Errata that for a Mortar unit to fire its Indirect Lay mission is good enough a co-location in the same card with any other unit that has a radio in the same Net as the spotter/commander of that order. My questions are :

- The mortar unit has to be in communication (same cover, no pin) with this other unit with the radio in the same card? (i imagine this is a yes, but just to clarify)

Yes

Quote:

- Can this co-location issue be applied to other type of units? Like for example the CO-HQ giving a command to a squad in other card through the Plt-HQ radio? In one example in the rules it clearly says it can´t, but since it seems to be same case as with this new mortar rule, just wondering.

No, have to stop a slippery slope.

Thanks!

benhull wrote:

Quote:
The FO is assigned to the CO HQ; can the 1st SGT issue commands to it? Is it strictly rank dependent (i.e., the XO can issue orders to units assigned to the 1st SGT, but not vice versa)?

Yes, it is not strictly rank dependent. The 1stSgt though outranked by an FO, he is a respected and experienced member of the staff and is a representative of the Company Commander.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the original poster, yes, he needs to be attached to an HQ or Staff. Also, he can use initiative to call for fire.

Jerry is spot on in his comments about "activate." It does in this context mean command or order. It would have been better if the sentence in question said, "The easiest way is to attach an FO to PLT HQ and then the PLT HQ can command the FO to call for fire."

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
For the original poster, yes, he needs to be attached to an HQ or Staff. Also, he can use initiative to call for fire.

Jerry is spot on in his comments about "activate." It does in this context mean command or order. It would have been better if the sentence in question said, "The easiest way is to attach an FO to PLT HQ and then the PLT HQ can command the FO to call for fire."

Best,
Ricky

or accompany by co-locating as Ben ruled this is good enough.

I would agree its better to attach though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I understand "co-location."

In my current mission (the third of three patrols, Normandy mission 3), I attached both FOs to my XO and put them all on the same card (my combat outpost), outside cover. The FOs both have their radios (for Arty and MTR networks, respectively), and the XO had an SCR-536 and is in LOS of the CO HQ, who is a card away, in Row 1, outside cover. All well and good!

Until the XO decided to wander off into a swamp, lol. (A hilarious Friendly Higher HQ Random Event! I love it!) And the XO took his SCR-536 with him. (Is he stuck in the swamp for the rest of the mission? In a patrol, normally non-patrolling units can't move, so I'm ruling he's stuck. He can't even search for cover.)

As it happens, however, I've also co-located the 2nd PLT HQ with the two FOs. They're all out in the open, not under cover. The 2nd PLT HQ can't command the FOs, as they're attached to the XO, not the PLT HQ. But the 2nd PLT HQ *is* carrying an SCR-536. Can the CO HQ order the FOs to call down fire, using the PLT HQ as a mere "mailbox" or "relay"? I think the answer is "yes," as this is an example of "co-location." But I want to make sure. The lives of the platoon in this rather crowded combat outpost may depend on the answer!

Edit: to be clear, the FO has a LOS to the intended arty target, but the CO HQ does not. Even so, I’m still inclined to think that the Fo can call down fire in this situation. He’s doing the forward observing; he just needs an order.

Alternatively, could the 2nd PLT HQ simply give his SCR536 to one of the FOs? Could I order another unit to give its radio to the other FO?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.