winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game and have one major complaint:

I bought the PDF expecting that I could print and play it easily like I have with a great many other fine PDF titles. Being able to print this game looked ideal: We could play it at the pub, the cards would probably get covered in beer and totally ruined, but I could just print up another set next time I want to play. It looks like the kind of game that would be best played while drunk.

Unfortunately, the designer expects you to print it onto a type of business card stock which is not available here in the UK, where we use A4 and not Letter. Since the designer did not think to include guides long which to cut the cards, I cannot print it to regular card and cut the cards out. Basically this oversight has made this game a total waste of my $5. Still, at least $5 aint worth squat right now (thanks George!)

Please add cutting guidelines to the PDF for those of us lucky enough not to live in the US!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bussick
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
You want to know something? I don't think Mozart's going to help at all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Just doesn't work for me...
Rich, I have a similar story...

I bought the PDF and had an awful time printing it on an inkjet printer. After several frustrating hours, I gave up and ordered the print version (which was perfect).

I've probably spent more on this game than anyone else in the world: $5 for the PDF, $15 for inkjet business cards, and $14.50 for the print version (with shipping). That's okay, a few more plays and I'll get my $34.50 out of it...right? ???

Did anyone else have problems?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Same problem for me. I spent hours cutting out the cards with no cutting lines. Let's hope the game will be fun - though it seems I've not enough english, or not the right english, for half of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ajax (#31213),
And others. The printing problems trouble me, even it happens to a small (but vocal) minority of buyers. I would suggest feeding the sheets one at a time through the printer, and giving them a slight nudge with your fingers to make sure the printer's rollers grip it properly. Once it is in the printer, unless the cards come apart, it -should- feed okay. I have seen some of the pre-cut inkjet business card stock with a special roughed-up leading edge so it feeds better. I personally use a third party brand that costs about $5 for a pack of 25 sheets, and only have occasional misfeeds (which I prevent by feeding the sheets one at a time).

I am quite open to suggestions. The only dissatisfied, angry people I want are the ones who weren't going to buy the game in the first place...

Greg Porter
BTRC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Yje problem is not with the printer, but with the files - there is no line dividing the cards one from another, which makes it a real pain to cut the cards if you have no access to pre-cut cards, or don't want to buy twenty different sizes just to find out which one is the right one. I suggest you rework you pdf adding a thin line between the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno,
What you should do is print or photocopy the test page on your paper of choice, and then print on the sheet, which will give you cards with thin black borders so you can cut them easily.

For the "not wanting to buy 20 different kinds of cards" (which is perfectly understandable), that's why the rules mention a prominent name brand and product number. That product number is also a pre-designed template in Microsoft Word, so you can put borders on the cells and print a test page that way.

The reason the game -doesn't- have borders on the cards is because if you do use the pre-cut cards, even the slightest misalignment will give you funny looking lines on different card edges.

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
That's what I've done in the end ! But you ought to suggest it in the instructions, not to let the buyer find it by himself ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
BTRC (#31257),

It seems to me that it'd be relatively trivial to provide multiple versions.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog (#31277),
If someone can provide me with the exact page size and perf margins for A4(?) style pre-cut business cards, I'll seriously consider making a UK-compatible version. I'd simply stretch the image files a few percent to fit the altered card size.

I'd have to cut out my own A4 test sheets to make sure it printed right, but I think I could manage.

Of course, you have to remember that as a slang-based game, the appeal to non-native English speakers is a lot less, so the revised cards would almost exclusively be for the UK audience.

In other news, I have entered the ISBN number into the registry and checked with Amazon as I said I would. They -will- carry it, if I set up a -premium- marketplace, which I probably won't do for just this product. I'll have to see if it is worth doing for the whole BTRC line (the time and effort of maintaining another web page...).

Greg Porter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Stokes
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
mbmbmbmbmb
BTRC (#31337),

Greg, a quick solution for my problem would just to be to release a variant of the card back page with the cutout lines on. That way I can use that to print the backs of the cards because I'm going to be cutting them out. Customers with the correct Business card size sheets will use the regular back and not the one with the cutguides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane de Boe
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
RichKS (#31139),
All I did was print out the cards on stock standard paper, cut a starting card out and use that as the size for the rest, worked well.( it was my test pile) now I'm going to print them out again on normal paper and laminate then. Then cut them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kanedeboe (#33031),
And to everyone else who couldn't find correct business card stock. I have uploaded a file:

www.btrc.net/pub/outlinecard.pdf

This is the standard card back, with a grey outline around where the card edge should be. This way, you can print the cards on normal card stock, and then cut along the lines.

Note that you should still run a test page to make sure the card info is properly centered before you start cutting.

Greg Porter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tex tex
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I printed the game onto business cards, but could not get it aligned to my satisfaction.

Plan B
Print the empty boxes test page onto 110# paper
Print the card fronts into the boxes
Print the card backs onto the backs
separate with a paper cutter

voila

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.