Subject: Various KDM campaigns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan
United States
Clayton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Would anyone be willing to give me a quick run through of the various campaigns I see mentioned throughout the forums. People of the Stars/Sun etc? What makes them different, what expansions have them (ie I believe People of the Sun is from the Sunstalker). Sometimes I am not exactly sure what some people are talking about when they mention various campaigns. Is the core campaign known as anything?

Also I know there are variant campaigns in the back of the core rules. I do not really mean them, although if they warrant a mention, please feel free to give me the run through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three "full" campaign currently out are:

-People of the Lantern (core game standard)
-People of the Sun (Sunstalker)
-People of the Stars (Dragon King)

The expansion campaigns replace some of the quarries/nemesis encounters, offer a differently structured timeline, and add a bunch of settlement locations, innovations, and story events, along with a different take on what your settlement as a whole is trying to achieve (both in story and in gameplay mechanics).

The "variant" campaigns (such as People of the Bloom from the Flower Knight and the ones included in the core rulebook) only offer some relatively minor tweaks over the standard People of the Lantern Campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Core campaign is People of the Lantern I believe. I can't give too much info because I don't have the expansions (yet ) but People of the Stars centers on the Dragon King and People of the Sun centers on the Sunstalker. They each add numerous mechanics. People of the Stars for example adds some sort of "constellation" stat, which I think is similar to astrological signs. These can have powerful effects on characters from what I understand.

Anyway, each different campaign has a unique timeline, rules as to which nemesis and monsters should appear, what quarries you can fight etc.

Someone else will have to give specifics.

As a final note, there are more campaigns coming both with Campaigns of Death and the new expansions. Gryphon will add People of the Nest for example. Abyssal Woods has a campaign coming too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How in-depth and spoilery do you want our answers to be by the way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Clayton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pietro Pomella wrote:
How in-depth and spoilery do you want our answers to be by the way?

I think your initial response is what I am looking for. Its enticing to hear things like "a different take on what your settlement as a whole is trying to achieve." I definitely like allusions to the differences, such as the previous example, but I would rather steer clear of spoilers.

And btw thanks for the responses guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoiding spoilers and looking at basic structure (with ample opinions):

The Dragon campaign feels like a core campaign that has much more complex survivors, and I think a fantastic story. FWIW, I feel like this is basically experienced-mode core KD, and I highly recommend it if you're willing to keep up with the bookkeeping, once you've finished a core campaign or two.

The Sunstalker campaign sacrifices some things for very strong survivors, and the story doesn't make much sense. The timeline is very different. The campaign is okay; the monster is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
...the story doesn't make much sense.

The story in PotSun makes a LOT of sense, it's actually better put together than People of the Lantern's story is now that the removal of the Lantern Festival broke the narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of things completely come out of nowhere, and go nowhere. You may like it, but my group's experience was generally "Oh... I guess... this is something we should have guessed was a thing? I don't think it was explained anywhere yet? Let's re-read the events. Nope. I don't get it. Well, let's pick some survivors to risk or w/e."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fenpaints wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:
...the story doesn't make much sense.

The story in PotSun makes a LOT of sense, it's actually better put together than People of the Lantern's story is now that the removal of the Lantern Festival broke the narrative.

For once...we agree. People of the Sun makes total sense and I believe is beautifully written. Yes, even the ending. The restrictions are actually enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
People Of The Stars is all about building up really strong survivors, it plays quite different to the main campaign but people of the sun is alot different and imo both expansion campaigns are better than the base campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
About PoSun story, it makes a lot of sense that:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the survivors find a settlement under the sun and decide to stay there, instead of venturing into the darkness outside. They see everything as gifts from the Sun, and begin venerating it. In the meantime, Ancient Sunstalker is feeding off its brood right under the settlement's nose. This symbiotic/parasitic relationship is perfectly exposed both through emergent storytelling, PoSun-specific story events, the innovation path the settlement takes and the endeavors you take. A really, really good narration, and everybody slowly (not that slowly) realizes what's happening 'under the waters', before horror strikes the sun. PoSun SotF is probably better than 1.5 SotF, and way more balanced, and is thematically spot-on.

While it does not make sense:
Almost all no-PoSun story events make no sense in the campaign. Sky fishing has a sort of theme, but feels kinda wedged there. Integration of other expansions, while allowed, is spotty if not downright bad. Basically, all nemeses are cut off (and that's okay, but not desirable if the intention was to allow any tweak to the campaign), Spidicules, DBK and DK are the only two expansions that can be integrated fully (and DK is really OK, spidicules a bit less, though enticing in PoSun. DBK is always the best). Also, the nemesis gauntlet helps build up tension, but story-wise, it has no sense. Also, Supernova is a cheap way to add tension to endgame, and makes no sense at all. Why go supernova at all? Does the ancient sunstalker feel like that if they fail a L3 Phoenix is not their fault, but a L2 Butcher is so much a disappointment that everything has to be erased and it must start from scratch?

What feels cheap (everything of all campaigns spoilered ahead):

The endings. I understand that the vibe is that everyone dies, but there should be a difference between winning and losing, at least short term.

I admit I felt the time after 1.31 watcher like wasted time, and never had any intention to continue the campaign after that, just being satisfied that the settlement would eventually succumb to darkness.

Anything in style like that would be okay, great, and actually a very good ending. PoSun ending is horrible. You won? Too bad you were away and everyone is dead. Oh, you are dead too. Game over.

In this fashion, 1.5 ending is not worse, but is equally crappy. You won? Too bad, you all die anyway. Game over.

DK ending is better built, but in this, I don't feel the enthusiasm Fen and a lot of others feel. Build a big mausoleum in the last years? THAT'S GREAT! Everyone else dies before you get to the final fight? WOW, THIS IS AMAZING AND DRAMATIC. Open ending that you won, you die? THIS SUCKS. Okay, it is implied that "your body" dies and you can figure out that you will be the only dragon king and begin a cycle anew, but if that was the effect, you could just write it better. Spend six or eight pages, add some illustrations, specify who is going to die, who is surviving only to die later, and leave the final page as a final act of desperation (like: the other three PoStars were weak and died, only one survived and is now a dragon king who wanders aimlessly and is desperately trying to pass his legacy, the last of its kind, and hunters are already after his husk. Or something like that, but written better.

Endings are a thing that was brilliant in 1.31 and got somehow worse. Continuing the campaign after the watcher was never the point, at least in my opinion. Feeling like you won, and know that everyone will die, but your actions mattered somehow, is the point. A thank you for playing, if you want. Like the three-five panel story endings to the old Street Fighter II. Rewarding, make you feel accomplished, they don't end everything abruptly (most of the time, there is still stuff to do for everyone. Except Zangief and Dhalsim. Those two are idiots).

EDIT: I wanted also to write, about 1.31 post-watcher
that the new Blackout and after-watcher is brilliant. It is basically not retconning anything, while building more and more. Too bad there was no time to introduce the GSK better, that is an aspect to be improved, but the last desperate struggle of a settlement to push forward even if all the source of life and safety failed you is GREAT. Also, the emergent narration of how the lantern research turned you more and more into a monster the more you delved with the secrets of the watcher is SUPERB (and Metabolic Surrender is simply PERFECT up there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.