Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

After playing many different games over the years, I've seen designers intend for the word, "or" to resolve in several different ways.

The two most common uses that I've seen are:

1) When the player has a free choice between two options, the word "or" indicates that the player is free to choose either option "A" or option "B".

2) When a prioritized option is not available for the player to make, then the player is to make the next prioritized choice. In this case, the word "or" is used by the designer to instruct the player that if the first choice isn't available or legal, then the player must make the "or" choice.
Example card text (made up): "Move your token to any un-controlled territory, or take two resources."
In this example, the designer is instructing the player to resolve the text so that the player can move his token to any un-controlled territory. But [only] if there are no un-controlled territories to choose from, then [in that case] the player is to take two resources instead. I've seen several games use, "or" in this fashion.

Question:
So when we see the word "OR" used on an Adventure Card in 'Nemo's War', such as 'Aronnax's Determination' which of the above meanings does it employ?

Using the 'Aronnax's Determination' card to better illustrate my question... The applicable card text is:
Fail: Fail and Sacrifice the Professor Aronnax character , if available, OR gain +1d3 Notoriety.

So... does the use of "OR" in this case mean that the player has free will to choose either sacrificing Aronnax, or gaining Notoriety?
Or does the use of "OR" mean that the player must Sacrifice Aronnax, and only if he's not available to be sacrificed, then the player is to instead roll for Notoriety loss?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that's one or the other. Keep it simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to ponder possible meanings for "HOW" and "TO" before I could answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

senorcoo wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's one or the other. Keep it simple.

Thanks. But I was pretty sure about what "or" meant with some other games (keeping it simple as you suggest)... only to find out that "or" meant as I described for the 2nd use in my OP.

So I guess it'd be nice to be absolutely sure for a change!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

only to find out that "or" meant as I described for the 2nd use in my OP.

Anybody who uses "or" to mean "if possible, otherwise" is just a terrible rules writer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So... does the use of "OR" in this case mean that the player has free will to choose either sacrificing Aronnax, or gaining Notoriety?

Yes; that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, Alan, for the official confirmation!

chuft wrote:
Anybody who uses "or" to mean "if possible, otherwise" is just a terrible rules writer.

If my memory serves, the games I'm thinking of are all from GMT. But I won't mention actual designer's names as I respect every designer that GMT publishes.

But basically, the use of "or" in those cases was meant to indicate that either this will happen, or [if not] that will happen. I.e., the player will encounter either this "or" that, but without being given the choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb

I understand. Terrible rules writing.

"Place two tokens if possible, otherwise collect a resource" is not equivalent to "Place two tokens, or collect a resource."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.