Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: New starter/ factions pack and old stuff. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pieroux
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I'm brand new on STAW: I just ordered the new starter and the 2 factions pack.

I'm looking at 5th attack ship and Valdore and the scimitare, iks Rotara... (Wave 30/31/25).

If I take them, do I have to incorporate the equipment such as it or are there rules to apply on the "old cards" to update them? It's not clear to me.

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club! I've been playing for about a year now, myself.

Old and new are compatible with each other, but be aware that the new material (starting with this past fall's card packs) is SP-costed differently, and generally cheaper. If you play with older players, you may need to agree on whether to apply these costs to identical or similar older cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sonas
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm no expert but here is my impression:

The faction packs already include Valdore and two Jem-Hadar attack ships so you probably don't need to buy those.

The ships are generally much cheaper now (meaning they cost fewer squadron points) than before the new release. So if you buy the old Rotarran, it will likely seem more expensive (e.g. when trying to build a squad that adds up to 130 points - I am not talking about dollar cost to purchase the ship on eBay) than other ships in the new releases that are of comparable strength.

So if you are already buying the new starter and new faction packs, it might give you a more balanced set of ships (and you could be more competitive in Organized Play events, if that's your thing) if you just focused on buying new things as they came out, rather than anything from earlier years. Thus if you can be patient and wait for a Rotarran-like ship in the new release, then it would match up better with the other new stuff you bought.

But I believe the idea, in terms of rules and compatibility, is that you can still use any of the old ships and old cards in perfect harmony with the new stuff, except that maybe the old stuff would seem like it costs too many squadron points in comparison to the new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
There is some errata, but none of it applies to what you listed. You can play everything you listed as is without changing cards. There is no official recosting of older ships.

Scimitar, Valdore, and the Romulan Faction Pack would go a long way to making a solid Romulan Fleet. I would also suggest the Haakona.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin massey
msg tools
I have just found out about the new faction packs and it has me excited for STAW again (as I felt the points and balance were off in the past, and the models were very basic).

I've been looking through the new rules also as I spotted some changes.

This has me wondering something, however, when I was looking over the images of cards included in the set.

I saw that there was a card that had the limitation of the jem hadar battleship, so must be equipped to this. I then noticed it has the new firing arc symbol restriction showing secondary firing arc only. But this has me confused as I don't recall a secondary firing arc on my battleship, and the images I can see of the one equipped in this set doesn't appear to have a secondary arc either.

Am I missing something? I can't see how this card can be used. For reference I am talking about the disruptor cannon card

https://wizkids.com/attackwing/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/20...

Also If I rad it right, you don't need to target the ship you had targeted with the lock token. Is this correct? If you can actually use the card, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sonas
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think on the new ship there is a secondary arc defined by dotted lines inside part of the forward arc.

There is discussion about this in page 1 of this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1888588/wizkids-previews-fa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

I was wondering what, if anything, people were doing when they mixed the new stuff with the old stuff for casual play (points-wise)?

Seems like someone picking only old cards against someone picking only new cards, or mixture, would be at a disadvantage.

Im thinking it probably not enough to matter in a dice chucking game like this, but I'm also wondering if I should give a few extra build points to any players using older ship cards, maybe 3 per ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Basically if there is any specific card we think is too expensive and we all AGREE on it; we may lower the cost;

But in general, the only thing that has changed for us is instead of giving old ships extra points; we price the old ships the same as any new ships.

For instance, ALL unnamed Vor'cha are now 22pts instead of 26.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.