Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Banzai Charge
mbmbmbmbmb
How viable is it to play an all Borg team? It seems like the faction has very few ship variety. I was kind of hoping they would have a faction pack coming up... Also how ridiculous is fighting the oversized cube? I come from playing Heroclix where fighting an oversized guy is more often frowned upon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CountingGardens wrote:
How viable is it to play an all Borg team? It seems like the faction has very few ship variety. I was kind of hoping they would have a faction pack coming up... Also how ridiculous is fighting the oversized cube? I come from playing Heroclix where fighting an oversized guy is more often frowned upon.

My son like playing them but he and I both prefer to play for theme than to "win". Current Meta says Borg by themselves have a hard time winning consistently. The range 2 360 shots allow for fast fleets to stay out of range and "mail in" shots from Range 3, so once the actual close in combat begins the Borg are usually behind a few hits.
If you are talking about the "table hog cube with sphere port, we had someone try it once, they one once I think. The large cubes (4 bases sized ones) can be interesting but again the Borg went from over powered to under powered. We can only hope they balance them back somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CountingGardens wrote:

It has been a while since I played regularly and things may have changed a bit (with the recent points changes and things), but the Borg were one of the top fleets in the game for along time.

The oversized cube is actually very underpowered in normal games and generally loses badly. In scenario play though, the second oversized cube with the sphere port is one of the best and most fun scenarios in the game. Players work together to battle a super powerful cube in a battle similar to the one that took place in Wolf 359.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Banzai Charge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the meta in this game is essentially comboning different factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Borg are also hampered by the per-ship point limit, when playing by Organized Play rules. There's a 50 point limit per ship, which allows most factions to pile on some number of upgrades. But Borg start out expensive and have lots of expensive upgrades on top of those.

CountingGardens wrote:
So the meta in this game is essentially comboning different factions?

Often. Kind of like the show, that way... cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Banzai Charge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also hear a lot of people talking about the point update formula and how it will obsolete old cards? How true is that? I know at least in Heroclix.99% of the old figs are useless in modern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
CountingGardens wrote:

Both pure with retail ships is hard now. Borg pure with some of the prize ships (Assimilated Vessel XXXXXXXXX) can be a thing. The Assimilated galor and Brel hit like trucks. Soong (not a prize) is really good. The Assimilated D’deridex is a bit trickier, but potentially really good.

The Sphere is still a monster. The range 2 limitation means you have a rough time approaching. Once past the initial approach is where the geometric Borg (cube, Sphere, Octahedron) shine. You make it a guessing game that your opponent has the burden on to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CountingGardens wrote:
I also hear a lot of people talking about the point update formula and how it will obsolete old cards? How true is that? I know at least in Heroclix.99% of the old figs are useless in modern.

I don't think we really know yet. Certainly some old cards are obsolete (e.g. Photon Torpedos); those were the cards that no one used anyway, though, so no great loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
Scotland
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that there a bit of the Borg that work well such as scout 255 with mag charges and the aforementioned Soong, but the main problem I feel is you just cannot dreadnaught a Borg ship if your using OP rules.

your generic sphere is 38 points leaving you with only 12 points to add upgrades and you will probably want to put some kind of weapon on it to give you a range 3 attack or risk getting kited for a turn or two. Assuming you got for the cheapest weapon with range 3 (mag charges) your now at 43 points without a captain and the really nice stuff like assimilation tubules is 8 points.

As others have said, you normally have to mix your fleet to help fill in the gaps that the Borg have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.