Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
mbmbmbmbmb
Also doubles as a Christmas card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love the thematic actions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lawrence
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mb
These need to be added to the Files area.
Great job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
Do you start as the nice or bad santa when you use this one, or do you get to pick?
Nice idea 😀
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LuukVA wrote:
Do you start as the nice or bad santa when you use this one, or do you get to pick?
Nice idea 😀

I'd start as Old St.Nick as he actually has starting power. Plus it would be pretty awesome to keep Bad Santa a secret from your friends until it's retribution time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So should santa start from any open faction? Or Better have santa start on this Oil with both workers (or maybe just one worker). This looks really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about the starting space too, but I guess that isn't too important. Was still wondering:

1. What does the <?> on Bad Santa's starting military power mean?
If it is <?> to mean "start play with Old St. Nick side", I would have expected to see <?> for starting combat cards as well.
Is it <?> because you would instantly convert your starting popularity to military power?

2. Is the coal given to other players stored on the hex (per other resources in Scythe), or is it given to the player themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Amanda,

Always a pleasure! I had no idea this casual joke could stir up such great conversations.

To be honest what I had in mind was releasing the custom North Pole faction logo I created as its own cutout. You'd simply cover up an existing faction's logo on the board and go from there.

You'd actually need to start on the Old St.Nick side, yes.

iamzimmer wrote:
I was wondering about the starting space too, but I guess that isn't too important. Was still wondering:

1. What does the <?> on Bad Santa's starting military power mean?
If it is <?> to mean "start play with Old St. Nick side", I would have expected to see <?> for starting combat cards as well.
Is it <?> because you would instantly convert your starting popularity to military power?

2. Is the coal given to other players stored on the hex (per other resources in Scythe), or is it given to the player themselves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad suggestion Phillip! Very thematic! Perhaps we can create a little north pole token. Or Santa's workshop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is cool, seems a little OP, but could still be fun. And maybe not, taking a turn off to switch from Good to Evil might be enough of a downside to keep him balanced.

The switching Power to Popularity mechanic is only for Santa, right? He doesn't switch everyone's stats?

Really cool idea! Great puns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Greg,

Yes the Popularity <-> Power switching only applies to Santa. (thankfully)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One thing that would be nice if the abilities that mention zones could have icons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Dafinov
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
I'm still not sure what the coal does: does it affect gameplay, or is it purely thematic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bad Sanata's special is to convert your combat opponents coal to power (for you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edafinov wrote:
I'm still not sure what the coal does: does it affect gameplay, or is it purely thematic?
The "Bad Santa" side says that before combat, you retrieve your opponent's coal and gain an equivalent amount of Power.

EDIT: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emil: I would like to think that it's thematic and practical. Looks like they've answered your question--something wicked comes for all the naughty players.

Looks like we have our first reported game using this variant. (thanks to Shane) It looked close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Hoby,

What exactly do you mean by "Ignore retreat effects in combat with santa"? do you mean two factions would remain on the same space after a combat is resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew,

That was aimed at factions that can retreat onto lake spaces after combat. If you lose against Santa, you get sent to your starting space like everyone else.

Kickbut101 wrote:
Hey Hoby,

What exactly do you mean by "Ignore retreat effects in combat with santa"? do you mean two factions would remain on the same space after a combat is resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.