Subject: Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Heizmann
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello

I love this Game! I would like to see A Expansion for this Game. I want more! 😉
Are there some Plans dir The Future of is a Expansion a no Go?

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Tso
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Hi David,

I too love this game a lot and can't get enough of it. I hope eventually there will be an expansion for it once the game becomes more readily available. For me, some easy way to make an expansion would be:

- more Clans/variable powers (I was messing around with a Clan Fraser for any Outlander fans out there but my photoshop skills are poor)
- additional modular map/board extension (terrain that can't be access or fields that produce minor income)
- more resource tokens

I'm just throwing ideas out here but yes, an expansion would be amazing in the future.

Now, how would I fit all that in one box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A physical expansion would be good, but I wonder if there are any plans to port the game to iPad/ios? (like Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, 7 Wonders, etc) That would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALEXANDRE DAVIS
Brazil
flag msg tools
How about:

Per Clan contracts. Like a bigger contracts (more inputs and output than regular contracts) to be randomized together with the starting items and doesn't count for the contract limit each player have. This would get you a sense of long term planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I love expansions, buy them for almost every game I have if there is one.

That being said, I'm having a hard time thinking of what can be added to this game beyond more Clans, "end round" scoring tiles, and Port Bonus Tiles.

Juma strikes me as the type of designer that is very concerned about game balance, not sure how many new "radical" things he's going to want to add to this game.

But if there ever is an expansion, or any kind, count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
I'm having a hard time thinking of what can be added to this game beyond more Clans, "end round" scoring tiles, and Port Bonus Tiles.

Juma strikes me as the type of designer that is very concerned about game balance, not sure how many new "radical" things he's going to want to add to this game.

How perceptive and true! By which I mean, you posted what I was thinking.

For these reasons, among others, I doubt that Juma is in any hurry to get an expansion out. Other reasons include:
- many of us don't have the game yet, and won't for a while
- there is no pressure on Juma from the publisher to come up with an expansion sooner than he wants to, since he is the publisher
- there was certainly no attempt to leave room in the game box for an expansion
- there is already a lot of variety in the game: clans, scoring tiles, ports, modular board,...

I'm sure that there will be requests for an expansion supporting a 5th, and maybe even a 6th, player. I don't think that there will be an official expansion for these player counts, certainly not unless Juma feels that the game will work well with more.

Finally, this is a game that lends itself very well to unofficial expansions from the player community. I'm surprised not to have seen a "Fan clan" thread in which people share their clan ideas. I wouldn't be surprised in future to see fan-created maps, perhaps based on real regions of Scotland: to support 5 players, as an alternative to the official 2-player map setup,...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D HDHOUSTEN
msg tools
One thing I was thinking might introduce some interesting dynamics is a small set of new contracts (rush orders) that are weaker but can be completed after the production phase and before the round scoring tile. I'm not sure how that would throw off the balance though.

That could be packaged as a mini-expansion with a new clan, scoring tile, and port (and perhaps a few extra goods tokens for those who have been interested)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The threads on the KS campaign and Facebook group are rife with port, clan, and scoring ideas. If he simply wanted to adapt those, he'd have micro-expansion possibilities until the cows come home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick D
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If any expansion were to be published we would need a bigger box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on ideas for an expansion. It might include new clans, scoring and port tiles but also hex tiles to be put on the map modules that work a bit differently (eg. bridge over a loch hex that makes two land hexes separated by the loch hex neighboring).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Innovatormentor wrote:
I am working on ideas for an expansion. It might include new clans, scoring and port tiles but also hex tiles to be put on the map modules that work a bit differently (eg. bridge over a loch hex that makes two land hexes separated by the loch hex neighboring).

Amazing. I want to flood a land hex, turning it into a loch! ha.

Maybe a castle hex, gaining bonus points for all workers surrounding it?

Possibilities are numerous, excited to see where it goes.

Since people seem to think the 4 player game is great, and the 2-player game a bit weaker (eg. less interaction), maybe some of this will help the game at that player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An expansion sounds good! Bridges especially (although a bit like Terra Mystica?). But could there be any plans to have an IOS version of the game so we can play Clans on iPad when on the move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Plečkaitis
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion may improve an average euro game. And it never improves euro that is already very good. Sure there are rare exceptions like Viticulture Tuscany Essential Edition. Clans of Caledonia is a very well made and balanced game. Mini expansion with new clans and ports is ok, but nothing more. A size of the box indicates that designer was confident that game needs no expansion. Juma, if you change your mind, please consider the 2nd edition some day rather than a separate expansion.
Personally I printed 3D inserts for Clans of Caledonia that fits every component precisely in its place. These organizers increase a wish to play the game as setup is so fast and game play is so clean and comfortable. So I'm not interested in expansion subjectively But that doesn't change the fact that in general I don't believe in expansions for good euros (with rare exceptions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Juma
Can I request a Clan Macintosh in an expansion please? One of our game group is a MacIntosh and he was disappointed at the lack of his Cln representation.

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tms_ wrote:
And it never improves euro that is already very good.

I'm sure there are several exceptions to this (like T'zolkin), but i agree with your general principle. I very often don't buy expansions because they don't improve the base game. Or they do, but the base game wasn't good to begin with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James B
msg tools
TheBeesKnees wrote:
Hi David,

I too love this game a lot and can't get enough of it. I hope eventually there will be an expansion for it once the game becomes more readily available. For me, some easy way to make an expansion would be:

- more Clans/variable powers (I was messing around with a Clan Fraser for any Outlander fans out there but my photoshop skills are poor)
- additional modular map/board extension (terrain that can't be access or fields that produce minor income)
- more resource tokens

I'm just throwing ideas out here but yes, an expansion would be amazing in the future.

Now, how would I fit all that in one box...

Love Outlander! I was RP'ing Mckenzie for that very reason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine W
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too, that's how I picked my clan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I’m keen for an expansion but I agree that they often don’t improve the game. I think the trap that a lot of expansions fall into is that they add an extra series of rules/complexity to the game unnecessarily. CoC doesn’t need that; the terrain tiles, the clans, the scoring tiles, and the port bonuses all add an awesome level of randomness so a major rule changes arn’t required.

Expansion idea:
*New hex terrain tiles
*New round scoring tiles
*New clans
*Port bonus tiles

No need to change the rules dramatically just add more options to what’s already there. That said the new clan powers could be really interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said
snowey1210 wrote:
Expansion idea:
*New hex terrain tiles
*New round scoring tiles
*New clans
*Port bonus tiles

No need to change the rules dramatically just add more options to what’s already there. That said the new clan powers could be really interesting...
thumbsup Absolutely and some new piece colours wouldn't hurt either. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.