United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can not figure the secret out of the letter from Celyse. Any help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley White
msg tools
On the back of the letter is a note about referring to her first letter apply it literally with the things that are odd in the letter and you will get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's frustrating not understanding a puzzle, click the spoiler first spoiler tag for a hint...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The hint on the back of the letter calls your attention to the things that you noticed were odd about the letter

Okay, still not getting it, here's an even bigger hint...

The first letter refers to the letter you're reading, take notice of the literal first letter in the errors

Okay, here's the "I give up, just tell me already" spoiler

The first letter of each word with an error in it spells out PLOT TO KILL NOBLE FAMILY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
It's actually not a very difficult puzzle. Just read carefully and use empathy. When you would write a letter with a hidden message - how would you keep the important information as a secret? Especially when considering that you write the message to a friend.

People used various secret codes and methods for transcription messages. Like letter-roulettes, where every message has a new hidden message between the lines. Hidden ink and so on.

Read the first entry, where you first notice about the letter and check the letter itself.

It's MUCH more fun and feels good when solving puzzles alone or with his friends - at least without help from people who already solved a puzzle.

And if you are a foreigner, it's much more fun - especially as it's easier to look for mistakes. German English teachers love their vocabulary tests ... and they are also very precise in book throwing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a cool little Easter egg. I started reading the letter and mocked the immediate spelling error, then realized it was intentional and that it was just the character who had bad grammar. My wife pointed out that it's strange that a tutor would have such bad grammar. I agreed and so we started working through the puzzle. A little disappointed that it didn't have any immediate relevance. Cooing we are rewarded somehow later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh... this is so stupid...

I thought I understood the hint and so I wrote down the first letter of each word with a spelling mistake, that gave me "lottoillnblefmil" I I couldn't make any sense of. So I gave up, figuring I must have been wrong and it was some far-fetched solution, and read the other entry...

Had I not missed 1 letter in every single word (other than "to") I might have gotten the hint that I was on the right track and found the other misspelled words.

So apparently I missed 5 mistakes which made it impossible to see the sentence... Problem is that just swapping two adjacent letters position does not easily register when reading and one doesn't read by looking at every letter in order. Adding in an additional letter on the other hand is a more noticeable mistake. Also I am not great at spelling so missed some things like "prey" with an "e" instead of an "a".

Also the cursive font certainly did not make this any easier... And me thinking several other words were misspelled because of missing "u"s stupid American spelling... =P

A question to those who have played past this point:

Since I did sort of get it (see above): Should I wind back and read entry 1518 or does it not really make any difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Roby
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to go through it 3 times. The first one resulted in gibberish. The second one was “close”. I was missing only a few letters, which I was able to fill in by going through it again.

Knowing is was supposed to give a clue it should have resulted in something other than gibberish. The cursive writing did mask some of the errors, which is what tripped me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.