Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Quarry.
I play Crown, and then Horn of Plenty, from which I gain Villa.
I go back to my Action phase.

What happens now? I mean, the second play of Horn of Plenty. Do I play it, or is it lost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good question. This is how I see it:

From the dominionstrategy wiki:
Quote:
Gaining a Villa during your Buy phase does not "end" your Buy phase in a technical sense
which seems to indicate that you would get the second use of Horn of Plenty before your new Action phase starts.

I'm gonna try it on dominion online and report back. I'm sure 20 people will have replied before I get back, one of them being Donald X., but I want to try anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion online let me gain the second card from Horn of Plenty before my action phase started with the Villa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
That is a good question. This is how I see it:

From the dominionstrategy wiki:
Quote:
Gaining a Villa during your Buy phase does not "end" your Buy phase in a technical sense
which seems to indicate that you would get the second use of Horn of Plenty before your new Action phase starts.

I'm gonna try it on dominion online and report back. I'm sure 20 people will have replied before I get back, one of them being Donald X., but I want to try anyway.

I believe that quote from the Wiki is mostly regarding the question of Wine Merchant, which does something at the end of your buy phase. Donald has ruled that you don't get to use Wine Merchant when you buy Villa, returning to your action phase isn't the same as ending your buy phase.

The Crown / Horn of Plenty thing works because you're still just finishing following the instructions "play a treasure from your hand twice"... there's no rule that would make it so that leaving your buy phase would interrupt or stop any instructions that you are in the middle of following.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
The Crown / Horn of Plenty thing works because you're still just finishing following the instructions "play a treasure from your hand twice"... there's no rule that would make it so that leaving your buy phase would interrupt or stop any instructions that you are in the middle of following.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the second time you play the Horn of Plenty, you're playing it during your action phase?

I can see where that comes from, but I'm not much liking where it leads.

Suppose you play Crown A and choose Crown B to double. On the first play of Crown B, you choose Horn of Plenty and gain a Villa. So now you've immediately re-entered your action phase but plough on regardless? So you play the Horn of Plenty a second time and this time you choose Rocks; it's not your buy phase, so you put it in your hand? Now it's time to play Crown B again, but this time you have to choose an Action card to double with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the second time you play the Horn of Plenty, you're playing it during your action phase?

Suppose you play Crown A and choose Crown B to double. On the first play of Crown B, you choose Horn of Plenty and gain a Villa. So now you've immediately re-entered your action phase but plough on regardless? So you play the Horn of Plenty a second time and this time you choose Rocks; it's not your buy phase, so you put it in your hand? Now it's time to play Crown B again, but this time you have to choose an Action card to double with it?

Seems consistent with Storyteller playing a Crown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:

Sounds right to me. Weird and a little counterintuitive, but correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
darthnice wrote:
Seems consistent with Storyteller playing a Crown

Storyteller playing a Crown is already deeply bizarre and counterintuitive.

Crowning a Crown and having it double a Treasure the first time then an Action the second is even stranger. (If that is, indeed, how this scenario behaves.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:

You're right... and I know that exact question about Crown-Crown-Horn-Villa was discussed on F.DS, but I can't remember what Donald's answer was. I asked the question again, we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:

Donald has confirmed that it does in fact work this way. When the Horn of Plenty is played for the second time, it will be during your action phase, and when the (second) Crown is played for the second time, it will be your action phase and you'll choose an action to play twice.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18067.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.