Subject: Pit Crew for two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick S
United States
flag msg tools
Miami Nights: Drive Hard
Miami Nights: Drive Hard
My wife and I picked up Pit Crew recently after playing it at a local board game bar. We thought it'd be perfect for game nights with her family. But in the meantime we've been playing just the two of us.

Theme: Neither of us have any knowledge, interest, or passion for racing or Nascar, but that doesn't seem to be a problem here. It's a good old fashioned race and that's what's important. You gotta put some tires, fuel, and an engine together and then go, go, go. There are only so many themes that would work in a pure racing game and this one works. It's like a racing videogame in board form.

Quality: The components are ok, but a lot isn't needed for such a quick, high-adrenaline game. The race track board is what it needs to be and isn't really the focal point, in my opinion. The car boards, where each team does their work, are much more important and could have used a thicker stock. The cards in the game could have been bigger as well. Cards are drawn quickly in this game, and with my big hands, I knocked over the whole pile of cards a few times. I could see larger groups of people, drawing from the same pile, being a problem too.

Gameplay: This little game packs a punch and it get's us on the edge of our seats. There are so many facets to focus on and you have to make split second decisions to try and win the race. Discarding cards is a struggle (because then the other teams get bonuses), working toward speed bonuses takes extra precious seconds, foreiting a point or two for the fuel might pay off big if it means you can start rolling the dice. Either way, it's a race to the finishline and it is nerve-racking.

Conclusion: I didn't get into all the mechanics like some reviewers do, but for anyone out there that games with their wife, and that doesn't mind a little math and mental challenge, give this game a shot! It is quick, so there's not a ton of committment, which is nice as a filler. It's intense when you're playing your cards, and counting everything in your head, and you can see your opponent in your periphery making all kinds of moves. 8/10 for me.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.