Commands & Colors: Napoleonics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gus I
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played out first CCN tonight. The action at Rolica.

There are a few things that weren't clear.
1) When a square battles a Cavalry and vice versa, do sword hits count?

2) When a leader is the only survivor of a ranged combat does it need to retreat?

3) Can you burn a card without eligible units (eg cold steel, first strike) to do nothing and draw a new card?

4) Can you use Grand Maneuver to move through a fordable river or woods,or does you unit still need to stop.

It was good fun and very different from CCA. The Brits won 5-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) It is melee, so yes. Of course, exceptions apply (such as militia not hitting on sabers)

2) I believe so, yes.

3) Just based on rules reading, I assume: Cold Steel: yes (you could use it if you have no units adjacent to other units and the card would just have its normal effect ). First Strike: no (it has no mode to be playable outside of its reaction to melee).

4) You still need to stop IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Royce
United States
St Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
1. Yes, XSW hits count, unless the unit does not hit on XSW (e.g., militia). In both Rolica scenarios there are no militia units, so XSW hits would count.
2. Yes the leader must retreat 1, 2, or 3 hexes. Also, the winning unit does a leader check by rolling 1 die. If it is XSW, the leader is eliminated and the winner gets a victory banner. Note that if a unit with an attached leader suffers 1 or more hits, but is not eliminated, then the leader check is done with 2 dice, and only a double roll of 2 XSW would eliminate the leader.
3. Yes, but not First Strike, which can only be used in response to a melee attack.
4. No, normal movement restrictions apply to Le Grande Maneuver.

Enjoy the game! It is great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.