Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this twice, with three players and four players. It took two hours and three hours respectively. The game box says one hour. Is this another case of what it says on the box being wildly off the mark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think it is very dependent on play style, experience, and number of players. I think an hour is low for the average groups most of the time though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it's accurate if you don't count setup and everyone is familiar with the game. When you don't have to reiterate how "To Discard:" works every time you play a power and stop constantly reprimanding people that play their cards directly into their discard pile from hand and can focus on discussing plans for tackling powers and minions instead it speeds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one hour is possible, but its almost always going to run longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes us 30 minutes to 1 hour with 1 - 3 players but we're seasoned.

I think the box is giving an accurate middle-time, between 30 minutes and 90 minutes. Not including setup and teardown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A solo game with multiple characters takes me less than an hour if you don't include setup. I would be surprised if it took up to 3 hours for any group once they got used to it. 90 minutes to 2 hours might be a more accurate prediction including setup and teardown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Higher player count games take longer.

New players tend to play slower as they need to remember/be reminded of rules and need to read more things.

Games with new players also tend to take longer as they don't win the game as quickly. My games rarely drag into tier 3, but decking a boss adds a substantial amount of time vs a late t2/early t3 win that's often possible with more experienced play.

I'm not sure if we took setup/teardown into account when we decided on that ~duration on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I played this game a lot with the same group of people. After twenty or so plays the time got down to an hour, setup included. About 50-55 minutes without setup usually for four player games. Maybe 5 minutes longer if people didn't know the boss.

But yes, my first play with the pre-set decks took about three hours. Mostly bring new to the game, not knowing the rules or cards well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG API lets you see playing times from people who have logged plays on here, if they recorded that info. Looking at those, I found that the median was 80 minutes, with 1st and 3rd quartiles of about 60 and 100 minutes. So generally between 60 and 100 minutes.

That seems pretty accurate to me. It's hard to play it in an hour. But 2-3 hours is pretty long; I don't think it's ever taken us (me and my kids) anywhere near that long, and we've only played a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.