Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Battle for Rokugan» Forums » General

Subject: Looks an awful lot like Game of Thrones Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this similar to GoT the board game? Was intrigued by its hotness, but it appears to be an awful lot like GoT. If it's streamlined, great, just curious if anyone has played both to compare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Is this similar to GoT the board game? Was intrigued by its hotness, but it appears to be an awful lot like GoT. If it's streamlined, great, just curious if anyone has played both to compare.


It is nothing at all like Game of Thrones. Not even close.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You place orders/combat tokens face down and turn them up to resolve the actions. That's about the only similarity, other than map, player screens, and area control.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guille Longhini
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
jmathias wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Is this similar to GoT the board game? Was intrigued by its hotness, but it appears to be an awful lot like GoT. If it's streamlined, great, just curious if anyone has played both to compare.


It is nothing at all like Game of Thrones. Not even close.


You never played aGoT board game dont you? it is VERY SIMILAR in mechanics, just streamlined, wich is a good thing
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played GoT about 20 times in real life and once here in BGG. Love it.

This game fires it, somewhat. I wish there could be six players and I wish there was just a bit more variance or cards. But overall it is a great game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lordmalbec wrote:
jmathias wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Is this similar to GoT the board game? Was intrigued by its hotness, but it appears to be an awful lot like GoT. If it's streamlined, great, just curious if anyone has played both to compare.


It is nothing at all like Game of Thrones. Not even close.


You never played aGoT board game dont you? it is VERY SIMILAR in mechanics, just streamlined, wich is a good thing


I've played both games. Battle of Rokugun, shares a mechanism, sort of, but it plays out nothing at all like a Game of Thrones.

A Game of Thrones is strategic, tactical, deep, and interesting.

A Battle for Rokugun is a luck driven guessing game. Winning or losing Rokugun is more about luck than planning and strategy. Also I'd say no one played the game in it's final state before giving the thumbs up on the printing. The board is nearly impossible to "read" during the game, and takes what would be a fun, fast romp, and turns it into a frustrating slog.

Rokugun will definitely appeal to some folks, but I prefer a bit more control in my area control.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I like this game, there is lot of strategy cause you know how many tokens you have and you grab before.
Great light area-control. Of course it is not like others heavy area-control games just bcs cant be.
It is fillerkind amazing game.

GoT is boring, long (compare to rulles) and ugly to me. Dont like it. I think that ppl like GoT just for the hype theme.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
I wish there could be six players and I wish there was just a bit more variance or cards. But overall it is a great game.


What would be in the first expansion box then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I said it elsewhere here, but I feel like Battle for Rokugan is almost the platonic ideal of what the Game of Thrones board game is. It's like they took GoT and said, what if we made it the simplest version of this it could be. Take out all book keeping and keep the very core experience of putting down combat orders and controlling territory.

I think that there's a link between the games, but I wouldn't say the game play is particularly similar any more. Plus, we played our first game in an hour and a half, which you cannot do in GoT.

Edit: Actually, I got the game because I was sort of hoping it would play like a 3rd ed. of Game of Thrones and was at first disappointed at how light and simple it was. Then I played it, and it clearly serves a different place in my collection.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
lordmalbec wrote:
jmathias wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Is this similar to GoT the board game? Was intrigued by its hotness, but it appears to be an awful lot like GoT. If it's streamlined, great, just curious if anyone has played both to compare.


It is nothing at all like Game of Thrones. Not even close.


You never played aGoT board game dont you? it is VERY SIMILAR in mechanics, just streamlined, wich is a good thing


I've played both games. Battle of Rokugun, shares a mechanism, sort of, but it plays out nothing at all like a Game of Thrones.

A Game of Thrones is strategic, tactical, deep, and interesting.

A Battle for Rokugun is a luck driven guessing game. Winning or losing Rokugun is more about luck than planning and strategy. Also I'd say no one played the game in it's final state before giving the thumbs up on the printing. The board is nearly impossible to "read" during the game, and takes what would be a fun, fast romp, and turns it into a frustrating slog.

Rokugun will definitely appeal to some folks, but I prefer a bit more control in my area control.


While I wouldn't call it a luck fest, I do agree that 2017 was the year of FFG simplifying games from yesteryear. Civilization was stripped down for new dawn, Game of Thrones was stripped for Rokugan, even the new L5R seems to have simplified the AEG edition some.

I think this is the direction the industry as a whole is going to shift towards, sure we will still get some good deep games, but I expect the board game I dusty to follow the video game industry simplifying to reach a larger audience. Also expect more disposable gamez.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.