Austerlitz 1805: Rising Eagles» Forums » General

Subject: Tactical card #1 reroll - meilleure fortune rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last game, who ever got that card played it during his turn.
That is a standard reroll option to avoid very bad luck factor.

To be honest it is the less chromatic card out of all tactical cards. Playing it is at the expense of more Napoleonic events like grand battery or grande charge, etc

It also destroys the overall game system, which favors some dramatic change of fortune thanks to 1 or 2 good die roll in a turn. Definitively not great, except for the "accountant" type of player, who want to avoid luck or missfortune to happen.

Next time I play the Eagle series, that card won't go in the deck for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walter vejdo
France
paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, it is the less "chromatic" one, but it contributes also to make the difference between a player who knows best when to use it.
giving it to the ennemy to avoid a bad but affordable roll is offering the ennemy the opportunity to be protected from a critical miss.

of course, no player is ever force to draw (or to use) it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Bekar
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
In my last game the "Avoid Fate" card was played exactly once. The genius of the tactical card system is that you are only allowed to play one card per hour turn and your opponent is then only allowed to play it in the next hour.

This means the op cost of playing any card can be extremely high. I would argue that if players are just playing the Avoid Fate card back and forth that they "lack imagination."

As the developer notes, there are so many rolls in the game that the bell curve of a normal distribution will almost certainly emerge for both sides. Avoid Fate is great for avoiding a truly horrible roll in a critical spot, but it is rarely the best card to play in any given turn.

Personally, I will never remove the card from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.