United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Per Ardua Ad Astra
badge
Navy Broadcasting Service
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering what shelves might be out there that are good for storing board games.

I'm open to hear about anything EXCEPT Ikea. I happened to see BoxThrone which I thought was a good idea, but their prices are way too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you against IKEA for a particular reason? Perhaps there isn't one close to you? I only ask because I've got the (ever popular) Kallax and wouldn't ever get anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike IKEA quite a lot. We moved house (and countries) earlier this year and started from scratch with furniture. We got a wooden desk from a furniture store in Lisbon (not a chain) and asked them to make a matching shelf to hold games.

I realize that this doesn't help you find a more generic shelf; sorry about that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use black sturdy plastic shelves (5 levels) but, if I had my 'druthers, I'd buy Ikea Kallax shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I"m wondering what shelves might be out there that are good for storing games. I'm open to hear about anything EXCEPT the best solution for the price available." Honestly, unless you're not close enough to go pick them up yourself, Kallax are hard to beat for the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
2019 BGG CCE open!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the 5-shelf shelves from Staples that are deeper than the cheapy (Walmart-style) shelves. TTR-sized boxes fit on the shelves.

(old picture, but gives you an idea)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using put-together-yourself Walmart bookcases. They're about $25 for the ~6 ft. tall ones and about 30" wide. They come in black and various shades of brown. Maybe other colors too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delta Walker wrote:
I'm wondering what shelves might be out there that are good for storing board games.

I'm open to hear about anything EXCEPT Ikea. I happened to see BoxThrone which I thought was a good idea, but their prices are way too high.

I build/manufacture my own. It takes very little space or tooling to build shelving. Know any DIYers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Shannon
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Spread Joy
mb
I don't have an IKEA anywhere close, so I ended up getting some BH&G cube storage shelves from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-16-Cube-...

Sturdy, look great, pretty cheap, plenty of different configurations (I linked the 4x4, but I think my game shelf is a 3x4). Plus they occasionally go on rollback even cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I use these heavy-duty shelving units that I bought in Home Depot. I don't remember the brand but you can find them in the shelving department. I think they were about $80 each (I bought 8 of them - - think of all the games I could have bought instead). The weight capacity is far greater than the weight of the games (I think it's around 800 pounds per shelf or something silly like that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Robinson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are just using big black plastic industrial shelves from the warehouse store. They arent pretty but they are in the basement and everything fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick S
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife found a shelf from World Market that she really liked.

Our smaller games are on a wall-hanging shelf from Crate & Barrel. We bought it a couple years ago. I have no idea what it was called and I can't seem to find a link for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a 90s entertainment center free from craigslist and I am quite happy with it. Big, sturdy, and easy to change levels of shelves and/or add more.
Others in my family use the generic bookcase shelves that go on sale at home depot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Danner
United States
Navarre
Florida
flag msg tools
iceman23 wrote:
I don't have an IKEA anywhere close, so I ended up getting some BH&G cube storage shelves from Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-16-Cube-...

Sturdy, look great, pretty cheap, plenty of different configurations (I linked the 4x4, but I think my game shelf is a 3x4). Plus they occasionally go on rollback even cheaper.

Same here. No Ikea anywhere within several hundred miles and their shipping costs are awful. I've been quite satisfied with the Better Homes and Gardens cubes from Walmart. The price is pretty reasonable and they can be configured different ways with the various sizes. They certainly seem sturdy enough for board games and have served me well so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Chavez
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This answer is good for U.S. only, but I use the 5-level metal shelving units from Target. I bought some locking casters to put on the bottom and I can (potentially) roll everything around as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
I use these heavy-duty shelving units that I bought in Home Depot. I don't remember the brand but you can find them in the shelving department. I think they were about $80 each (I bought 8 of them - - think of all the games I could have bought instead). The weight capacity is far greater than the weight of the games (I think it's around 800 pounds per shelf or something silly like that).

Those look awesome, and easily disassembled for moving. The Ikea shelves you might as well make a bon fire when moving.

That style of metal shelving, with the particle board shelves, are awesome, and available from any home improvement and office supply.

I use them in the garage. They'll last forever.

I wouldn't put my game collection on them, but if I got to the point of needing a warehouse, I'd go there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rachavez wrote:
This answer is good for U.S. only, but I use the 5-level metal shelving units from Target. I bought some locking casters to put on the bottom and I can (potentially) roll everything around as needed.

This is what I do as well. I only have one on casters at the moment, it is my transferring cart, but I will likely get at least one more set for when I have to put a shelf in front of another one so I can move them out of the way. Like those libraries that have shelves on tracks that you can open and close the gaps between.

I prefer the open metal frame shelves to any wooden ones because they are much lighter (I rearrange quite often) and the wooden shelf borders for each cell take up a lot of room from more games, they also lock you into certain sizes/configurations. So I like the wireframe shelves because they offer more freedom and creativity for storage. You can also order single shelves to add to the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Delta Walker wrote:

I build/manufacture my own. It takes very little space or tooling to build shelving. Know any DIYers?

This. I built mine myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanie
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
allen + roth Java 5-Shelf Bookcase
Item # 444953 Model # WSL5LSF

Lowes has the above ladder bookshelves for 119 each. They are not the most efficient space wise or the best deal but everyone compliments them aesthetically and they fit all the different box sizes even the huge ones on bottom.

I like that the bottom shelf is not directly on the floor as well. We keep our games Horizontal not Vertically on their side.

We have 3 with room for more games. The bottom shelves can hold the long coffin game boxes like Twilight or side by side Large standard square Ticket to ride boxes.
The top shelves hold a lot of smaller games like Agricola for two as well as a ton of card games.
The second to top shelf holds box sizes like Elder Sign, Takenoko, Splendor, Viticulture essentials, king of Tokyo side by side to each other and stacked several high.
The two lower shelves before the bottom(biggest)shelf hold the big square boxes like Ticket to Ride size four or five high next to box sizes that are more rectangular like Caverna and Istanbul.

The three shelving units depending on the size of your games could hold from 100 to 135 games, more if you have a lot of card games in that number, we don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
Surbiton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Those look awesome, and easily disassembled for moving. The Ikea shelves you might as well make a bon fire when moving.

That’s a bit harsh. I dismantled my Expedit shelves to move house at least three times and they remained rock solid after each reassembly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, moved the 5x5 Kallax to a new house no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use...

https://www.target.com/p/6-cube-organizer-shelf-13-threshold...

They come in all sizes too. 2, 4, 6, 8, and 9 I believe. Basically exactly the same as kallax shelves. I have compared them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

That’s a bit harsh. I dismantled my Expedit shelves to move house at least three times and they remained rock solid after each reassembly.

Yeah, ditto, I've moved IKEA shelves multiple times with no issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Made mine my myself! Made my shelves out of pallets and ensure they were 15" deep and tall enough for my tallest board game (LoW) standing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nussknackerz wrote:

Made mine my myself! Made my shelves out of pallets and ensure they were 15" deep and tall enough for my tallest board game (LoW) standing up.

Those look awesome actually. Very rustic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |