Nan Ledun
msg tools
I need some help deciding which board game to get for my boyfriend.

I search for something the two of us can play together. I am not as much into board games as he is. Shadowrun and Twilight Imperium are his all-time favorites with friends and he likes complex and strategy games.
So obviously I want to find something he really likes – but I should still enjoy the game enough to play it with him. I know f.e. he is interested in Terraforming Mars but I don’t think I would like it.
To give you an idea on what we can agree: We already played and enjoyed Pandemic Legacy (but we are still in the middle of Season 1) and Sherlock Holmes Criminal Cabinet/Consulting Detective (but this is more my favorite).

I thought about Gloomhaven or 7th Continent but of course I am open for other recommendations.

Thank you so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, welcome to BGG!

My biased opinion is that they're both excellent games. Of the two, Gloomhaven is more traditional (dungeon crawler, fight monsters, level up characters) while 7th Continent is rather unique (strong focus on exploration and survival, mix of resource management and puzzle solving, very open-ended). They both play very well with 2p.

Without knowing more about your boyfriend (i.e. specific likes and dislikes) I would say Gloomhaven because I think it appeals to a larger range of gamers. 7th Continent can be hit or miss. Also, since you're a more casual gamer you might be put off by the level of difficulty in 7th Continent; the difficulty in Gloomhaven can be adjusted easily.

Also: Gloomhaven will hit retail very soon (or already has) while 7th Continent doesn't plan to go to retail, so if you want to buy it you need to do a late pledge ASAP on seriouspoulp's site or else deal with the secondhand market...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another topic to consider may be setup/breakdown time. 7th Continent will unfold over multiple plays, but has a fairly smooth system of "packing it all away until next time."

Gloomhaven's story unfolds over time and demands a great deal of organization, space, and set up time.

Either may be appealing, especially if you think your boyfriend would be dedicated enough to be responsible for setup and storage.

No matter what, it's the thought that counts and I expect he'll appreciate it regardless.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.