Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Cicero
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a big fan of The Scarlet Pimpernell in all of it forms. I like the looks of this game, and the gameplay -- from what I can tell so far at least -- looks interesting.

The problem is that my wife dislikes playing any remotely competative games -- with a few exception, like Muchkin, which are too light hearted to take seriously -- so the "semi-cooperative" everyone works together but at the end there is only one winner mechanic is a deal breaker for her.

Will there be any way -- official or unofficial -- way to play this as a "true" co-op? Is there a way to "lose" prior to the final mission, so that the points can be considered academic, or used as a measure of team performance?

Just wondering if anyone can provide insight on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin is her exception?
Ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmb

https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/51685/gurps-scarlet-pimpernel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the play testers of this game for EGG, so perhaps I can answer this for you.

This game is only cooperative in a story telling way. You are each associates of the Scarlet Pimpernel working on each mission together.

That said, you are each trying to get the most points for each mission so as to have the highest total at the end of the game. In short, in actual play, this is not a cooperative game at all and will not play like one, nor does it lend itself to any sort of true co-op mode.

There are times you will want to cooperate with other players to ensure your points are scored, but this is more mutual interest rather than actual cooperation (if that distinction can be made).

I do believe the game has very original ideas in the game play and I am very enthusiastic about the game myself - including its theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
DragonCat wrote:
I am very enthusiastic about the game myself - including its theme.

This ^^^ thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cicero
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Munchkin is her exception?
Ouch.

Yeah....

She says that Munchkin is so absurd and almost random in who wins, that it doesn't bother her.

Plus, the first time she played she won so epically by abusing the Kneepads of Allure that "no loss will ever be able to erase it."

Not really sure what I should think about that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cicero
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
christopherwood wrote:

Interesting...

We've given up RPGs in the last 5 years or so because of the time commitments. Setting up and running the campaign (I'm almost always the GM) stared to feel more like work than fun.

This may be worth looking into, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cicero
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
I was one of the play testers of this game for EGG, so perhaps I can answer this for you.

This game is only cooperative in a story telling way. You are each associates of the Scarlet Pimpernel working on each mission together.

That said, you are each trying to get the most points for each mission so as to have the highest total at the end of the game. In short, in actual play, this is not a cooperative game at all and will not play like one, nor does it lend itself to any sort of true co-op mode.

There are times you will want to cooperate with other players to ensure your points are scored, but this is more mutual interest rather than actual cooperation (if that distinction can be made).

I do believe the game has very original ideas in the game play and I am very enthusiastic about the game myself - including its theme.

Thanks, for the information, Ralph!

I'll definitely keep an eye on it, but it'll probably end up being a no go. I think it looks very interesting, but quite honestly if my wife isn't interested, it'll never make it onto the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bock
United States
Ingleside
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently reviewed the game and felt it was almost a gateway game. Not much hurt at all and the game was very light-hearted and fun. You can get "mean" with if you want to (as Cathy -- my wife -- like to do, lol), but nearly every action you take is going to get you points. You're not going to be pulling your hair out unable to make a choice. So while yes, it's competitive, the theme is semi-coop and even the actions you take will be working together to help the Scarlet Pimpernel. You're not trying to kill one another, you're trying to be the heroes most trusted advisor. Hope that helps! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.