Subject: What...a.... game!!!!!!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had this for a few months but only got it out today for the first time. Simply astounding. It ticks virtually every box for me. Very high strategy, asymmetric factions, very little RNG. I am so happy with this game.

Completely pointless post tbh, I just had to express some gratitude to the world for providing me with this gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
I've had this for a few months but only got it out today for the first time. Simply astounding. It ticks virtually every box for me. Very high strategy, asymmetric factions, very little RNG. I am so happy with this game.

Completely pointless post tbh, I just had to express some gratitude to the world for providing me with this gem.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this in too long. Have to make an effort to get it to the table again! Really missing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely agree! I've only got this one out 3 times, but I love it more each time. A bit of a bear to teach, but super fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonic Bunny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm pleased you like it. I like it too. Games should be fun. Look, FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
The biggest surprise to me is the way you can plan out a multi step strategy if you can order your deployments, moves and win your combats etc. It gets you thinking several orders in advance which is really the essence of good strategy imo.

Has surprised me how good it is, and I had high expectations going in.

Any other games with similar multi step orders on the market? I guess Rebellion does that a bit too, but I don't find that nearly as good overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zejety wrote:
I haven't played this in too long. Have to make an effort to get it to the table again! Really missing it.

That’s exactly how I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not pointless. It warms my designer heart to see posts like this!

Very glad that there are still those out there finding new joy in games I make, even when they are out of print. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Samuel Bailey wrote:
Not pointless. It warms my designer heart to see posts like this!

Very glad that there are still those out there finding new joy in games I make, even when they are out of print. Thank you

Well now I'm doubly pleased I posted last night .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
The biggest surprise to me is the way you can plan out a multi step strategy if you can order your deployments, moves and win your combats etc. It gets you thinking several orders in advance which is really the essence of good strategy imo.

Any other games with similar multi step orders on the market? I guess Rebellion does that a bit too, but I don't find that nearly as good overall.

Actually, FS has been compared to a recently published wargame about 5th century BC Greece called Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars. Pericles has the stacks of hidden order counters, LIFO... Last order in is first order out. Pericles has a forum at GMT Games with it's rules etc posted, so it's easy to check out.

Pericles is a team game, 2v2. You have to cooperate enough with your partner to win the war, but at the same time, defeat your partner politically to win the game as an individual player. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:

Always good to see a happy post!

Doesn’t hurt that I am in complete agreement with you. Had it for months then finally got it to the table and wow do I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:

Order system reminds me overall of Strike Of The Eagle. It's one of my favorite wargames and the order system makes it. Although I'm not sure its 100% what you are looking for you should check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:

Thanks for the post...RNG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Gregolution wrote:

Thanks for the post...RNG?

RNG = random number generator. ie: there's not much of the game that depends on successful rolls of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this is prob 1 of our top 10 games too.... Too bad an expansion for it never saw a light of day!😉
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Man
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
Gregolution wrote:

I'm so in love with Forbidden Stars: it's really a gem of a game.
I wonder how many years will pass since I'll see another boardgame able to give me so much fun as FS. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
Yeah this is prob 1 of our top 10 games too.... Too bad an expansion for it never saw a light of day!😉

I hope it gets reprinted with a different theme. I have a really hard time supporting anything with a GW liscence.

gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
holywolfman wrote:

I hope it gets reprinted with a different theme. I have a really hard time supporting anything with a GW liscence.

gulp

Funny for this one I am the opposite. I was hoping GW would have stayed long enough for the planned expansion - at least long enough to bring in Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Tau and/or Necrons - even variants of the core groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not pointless, posts like this make you want to buy the game and share in the bliss.

(I really did check again as to why i never got this... it ticks all the criteria that makes it unplayable in my house unfortunately (too heavy, too lengthy and no solo)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I love the game too...a lot. Problem for me is that guys in my game group do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
Personally I love the game too...a lot. Problem for me is that guys in my game group do not.

Time to get a new game group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
If you want to play online, we have a Discord group set up

https://discord.gg/Hg79g8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryan rabatach
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
I agree 100% on this! Forbidden Stars is amazing. I picked this game up and our group loves it. We have only played about 3X so far with another game upcoming. We had one new player come out and he loved it as well. He doesn't know anything of the 40K universe or anything but it was a homerun for him.

This game is incredible. I wish GW and FF did bring out the expansion with added board for the opportunity to play with 4 more players/ factions. Would have been even better. Not going to happen now, which is a complete shame.

Anyways, thought I would add my two cents to this post. It is great in so many ways.

Cheers,

ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am mainly an eurogamer. I didn't know anything about Warhammer world. A friend of mine suggested to introduce me Forbidden Stars in pas August. As a result, i bought my copy a few days after. I have 8 plays under my belt and i have introduced my son to the game (he loves it).

Since then, this game is haunting me. It's heavy, meaty but with the right amount of chrome/fluff for my tastes. A little more and it would have been overwhelming. Forbidden Stars feels perfect to me, from orders (both programmation and resolution) and combat system (both in term of control and luck) to board setup.

It is all about incessant battles right from the beginning. Here, no observation rounds or engine to set in for the big final fight for the center of the galaxy: the building of the board coupled with the placement of objectives and the warp storms ensure that no system/world is without interest/isolated/neglected. Therefore, you are always in contact with each other, a potential target for an orbital strike and/or a terrestrial combat.

The order system is a great mechanic to plan your turn while letting people block and/or bluff their fellow opponents.

More, it brings interesting decisions depending :
1) on your turn order position
2) on the number of systems one wants to act :
- the more you want to act on a system, the more your are exposed to be block and the less you have latitude to resolve your tokens
- the more you spread your tokens, the more you have latitude to resolve your tokens (flexibility) and possibly wait to block other players.

I did not quite get the morale mechanic on my first play but it clicked on my second play and i must say that the combat system coupled with the deckbuilding is really great and very well thought out as it allows a heavy army to win a combat while letting to the defender a hope on winning by morale. Of course, it depends on the number and strength of the units involved but also on the cards played (hence, the importance of deckbuilding : having big and strong units without the cards that support them is somewhere suboptimal and/or dangerous/risky).

Definitely, it is a keeper. One of those games that will never leave my collection.

(Sorry for my bad english)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordimer Madderdin
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I agree with everything stated here...Sam you, Corey and James did an AMAZING work with this one! I was afraid that my group wouldn't like it at all, because I'm the only one who knows (and loves) anything about Warhammer universe. It turned out that it was exactly the opposite! Just after first game we were like....wow...that was great! Let's try it again. Se we did. And now it's our favorite game (even above War of the Ring). Just pure awesome! I just wish it will be reprinted...and we will receive MORE RACES (buildings and units)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.