Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I placed an order for an item in the morning for pickup that was available for same day pickup at a Wal-Mart location an hour away only because I was going to be in the area that evening. Site says orders are usually ready later that day unless you order after 4pm.

Got to the area around 5pm and hadn't gotten any sort of notification that it was ready for pickup, but figured I would check anyway. Went to the pickup location in the back and there were two people in line. Only one person was working. He spent a good 20 minutes bumbling through stuff trying to find this guys order, couldn't do it. Finally the woman in front of me walks up and asks if there's anyone else that could assist her while he was helping the first guy. He goes and makes a phone call. About 15 minutes later someone else finally shows up to assist.

Finally, it's my turn. I show them the order confirmation. He doesn't recognize the product and asks a coworker if she knew where it was. After a quick look, she says that she's pretty sure they don't have any of those but goes to check. 15 minutes later she comes back to confirm that they don't have any and won't get any in stock until probably January.

Thanks so much Wal-Mart shake

As usual, a crappy experience from start to finish. Another reminder of why I never go there in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we need a discussing isolated incidents board for stuff like this.

Your title should probably refer to the location and not in general about Walmart which many have no issues with (or they’d be out of business).

My only pickup experience was pretty seamless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, it's Wal-Mart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
It not that uncommon for online inventory numbers to be off a bit from reality, everywhere not just at Walmart. There is a reason when you select in store pick up that it say "Please don't head to the store yet" when you place the order and on the order confirmation email. It's rare but sometimes the item you want won't really be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Total first world problem as the kids say but I had a terrible experience for a game I didn't even really want, but hey, it's cheap and I have a problem.

Ordered ship to store. Go in to pick it up and foolishly stand at the front desk. The woman behind the counter is helping someone else with something inane and sees the bar code on my phone. She takes a second while the person in front of me is rifling through her purse to ask if I am picking something up. I told her I was and she said to go to the pick up area in the back of the store. She was super nice and told me where to find it even though she was dealing with someone who was unpleasant. That was good customer service which I appreciated.

So I am walking back and realize a few seconds in that this is getting me to walk through the store and gives people time to impulse shop, clever retailing but annoying to me. I get back to the area, no one there. I hit the button and realize that having someone at a photobooth is cutely anachronistic, like eating those little candy buttons on paper. No one shows up, but about five minutes later a yute walks out of the bathroom ank asks hopefully if anyone is helping me. I told him not yet and I realize that I am now peeing in his cheerios. He asks if I have my bar code and license which I take out and he tells me to wait, he is not ready for them yet. OK, maybe people come in and they spend fifteen minutes finding something and then they can't hand it over because the paperwork isn't there. I'm still rolling with it for my $6 Risk Marvel Civil War. He finally takes my info and goes to find the box. Fifteen minutes later he is back, he scans it, scans it again, cancels it, scans it, asks for my bar code again, scans it, scans the box. Three minutes later I have my box and am running out the door.

I worked retail at KMart when I was but a yute and I know there were things like travellers checks that were a pain in the butt, they give you five minutes of training on and you don't see but once in your whole time there and remembering what to do is a pain. Maybe this is similar or maybe that dude did not want to be there. I do not find myself at WalMart of my own volition ever and this trip did not make it more likely in the future.

TLDR; I am spoiled and customer service is like rolling the dice, sometimes it goes well and sometimes it sucks on toast. Sometimes both in the same experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
This is a crappy experience no doubt. I wouldn't write off all Walmart's for the rest of eternity though.

IMCarnochan wrote:

TLDR; I am spoiled and customer service is like rolling the dice, sometimes it goes well and sometimes it sucks on toast. Sometimes both in the same experience.

True, this is why I expect crap customer service wherever I go. That way I'm delighted when there's actually good customer service. I just finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and there's a good quote that fits. "If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cormor321 wrote:
It not that uncommon for online inventory numbers to be off a bit from reality, everywhere not just at Walmart. There is a reason when you select in store pick up that it say "Please don't head to the store yet" when you place the order and on the order confirmation email. It's rare but sometimes the item you want won't really be there.

Yeah, there's generally a reason you should wait to receive a notification. It's pretty much on the OP for his poor experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I HATE Walmart (and I do have damn good reason), it's hard to punish the company for this incident. I know first-hand how hectic this time of year can be. Even hiring a bunch of people just for this season doesn't usually help because most times they either don't know what they're doing, or just don't care. And with the high amount of shop-lifting, there is so much product missing from the shelves or tied up in court-day limbo, it's nighly impossible to keep inventory dead on.

Sorry for your misfortune, especially considering the distance. But this wouldn't be a "common" experience. Still despise Walmart though.

RIP Sam Walton. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid Wal-Mart at all costs after my wife was robbed inside the store. We got a scary talk from the police about the unsafe nature of the stores. Screw that! I don't have time to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Saving $10 is not worth it.

At least you didn't use BestBuy or Game Stop. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The in-store pickup at the local Walmart is hidden pretty well. The first time I used it, I had to get two people to guide me there. It is upstairs in a side room behind the fabric section.

I've used it a few times since. There is never anyone at the desk when I get there. There is a buzzer to press, but no one comes when you press it. Luckily, the place is near the bathrooms the back room employees use, so eventually I can get someone's attention.

I haven't had a problem with getting the items I have ordered, but it always takes a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
I mean, it's Wal-Mart.

This.

I rarely go there myself, but, in their defense, I've had decent experiences with in store pickup in the past. They're slow, yes, but they're Wal-Mart... there's a reason they have lower prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a very similar experience with Walmart's pick up option. Ultimately, my order was cancelled. I went in the store and actually found the item despite it being out of stock. It was a huge waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
So I am walking back and realize a few seconds in that this is getting me to walk through the store and gives people time to impulse shop, clever retailing but annoying to me.

imho nothing to do with being clever... the warehouse is in the back of the store... and hence also where for decades they've had the lay-a-way desk no w serving double duty as a ship-to-store/order-online pickup desk.

but do not fear... help is on the way... no longer will you always have to go to the back of the store... automated pick kiosk's are going up (where my brother lives it's already online)....

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-online-pickup-tower-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fiedler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience was similar. I waited until they said the item was ready and went down to the store. It took them 30 mins to call me up even though there was only 1 person in front of me. Then they went to the back for 10 mins to find my item and in the end it was the wrong item. I'm never using them again for in store pickup.

Target's pickup is much easier and smoother and I would recommend it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
NewTroll wrote:
RIP Sam Walton. soblue

Yep. And I'm sure Chick-Fil-A will start opening on Sunday too now that Truett Cathy is gone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What corporate imagines and what actually happens in the store are two different things altogether.

On the other hand, I do think that it is a marketing ploy to get you to walk through the entire store before getting to the pickup desk so you do some impulse buying.

Edit: saw the post that came in as I was posting this. I guess it was just convenience for the warehouse access.

I agree Target pickup is pretty flawless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
IMCarnochan wrote:
So I am walking back and realize a few seconds in that this is getting me to walk through the store and gives people time to impulse shop, clever retailing but annoying to me.

imho nothing to do with being clever... the warehouse is in the back of the store... and hence also where for decades they've had the lay-a-way desk no w serving double duty as a ship-to-store/order-online pickup desk.

but do not fear... help is on the way... no longer will you always have to go to the back of the store... automated pick kiosk's are going up (where my brother lives it's already online)....

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-online-pickup-tower-r...

All of our non-automater pickup areas are in the front of the store here.

And they have some nice lounge chairs to relax in while waiting too.

I used them when getting my oil changed. Or when I thought I was getting my oil changed as that day the Auto Center was a mess and I ended up waiting two hours only to go elsewhere.

In general, Walmart is excellent. You go in, get what you need at a great price. Period. Like ALL RETAILERS (including many LGS) there's going to be issues, outliers, and exceptions. People work there and people are inherently flawed. But given a choice, 10 times out of 10 I will go to Walmart over the sterile, low-selection Target store.

Edit: didn't see Target was already being praised here. My one pickup experience with them this year was also excellent. But pickup was great because I didn't have to walk around that dreadful cheerless store (and that's my opinion on ALL Target stores, not just the one nearby).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayo
United States
LAWRENCE
KS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, you went to pick it up without being notified that it's ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped using in-store pick-up years ago. I do not have any experience with Wal-Mart, it was Best Buy that made me realize that in the time I stand in the pick-up line, I can go and grab the item off the shelf and pay for it faster than the clerks can find my order on the baker's rack.

I get that people want to ensure they get the item before someone else snatches it, but my experience is that the pick-up process typically moves the item to some retail purgatory that nobody can access without an old priest, a young priest, and a manager with a vest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ygor
Romania
Transylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's a Pro-Tip for any situations that parallel what you just tried to do....

jmsmith2434 wrote:
... and hadn't gotten any sort of notification that it was ready for pickup, but figured I would check anyway.

Don't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

Your title should probably refer to the location and not in general about Walmart which many have no issues with (or they’d be out of business).

Price / Quality often trump whether or not you have a problem with a company.

Many who shop at Walmart regularly, admittedly dislike Wal-Mart. Also see companies like Comcast.

Additionally, how many instances does a person need to be credible? If we’re being fair, someone who was like “this has happened 4 times at 4 different locations,” would be criticized on the forum for not learning their lesson.

OP: appreciate the feedback - I’d lean towards avoiding Wal-Mart unless you have to. As others have said, I avoid Wal-Mart like it’s the plague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Cone Defense wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Price / Quality often trump whether or not you have a problem with a company.

Many who shop at Walmart regularly, admittedly dislike Wal-Mart. Also see companies like Comcast.

Additionally, how many instances does a person need to be credible? If we’re being fair, someone who was like “this has happened 4 times at 4 different locations,” would be criticized on the forum for not learning their lesson.

OP: appreciate the feedback - I’d lean towards avoiding Wal-Mart unless you have to. As others have said, I avoid Wal-Mart like it’s the plague.

Irrelevant. This was a complaint about a specific location at a specific time in a specific instance (where the OP showed up before being told the order was ready).

Has absolutely nothing to do with Walmart as a whole or anyone elses anecdotal evidence.

But it seems most reading this thread get it too.

I've yet to see a valid complaint in Discussing Retailers to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:

I've yet to see a valid complaint in Discussing Retailers to date.

Based on your perceived threshold of statistical significance this is not surprising. We need a new forum sub-folder “Discussing Retailers - Six Sigma Required”

Anecdotal is better than nothing, especially if you pay enough attention to cumulate anecdote in your head. Learnings can come from all situations.

That said, some of these are funny to read when completely baseless or user error 😀
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it you have never ordered anything from the party animals from China as they celebrate a month-long New Year’s?

They shut everything down except offering token public transportation.

But I digress.....

I have never had problems, but then again I wait for the notifications. And yes, Wallymart service areas can be overwhelmed via the Christmas rush.

When I ordered I use the neighborhood store, these are mini Wallymarts, zero waiting. Never had any trouble at the larger ones with a pickup, in fact one Super Walmart let’s you open the package to check it for damage.

We just ordered and picked up two Christmas dog toys. Took less then 5 minutes.

No, their service isn’t Nordstrom’s, but then again you pay out the nose for it there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
The in-store pickup at the local Walmart is hidden pretty well. The first time I used it, I had to get two people to guide me there. It is upstairs in a side room behind the fabric section.

This is the most mind-blowing part of this whole thread for me. Your Wal-Mart has an upstairs wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.