Hide
17 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Why so expensive in UK? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Venables
msg tools
As a Uwe Rosenberg games fan, this would make a perfect christmas present for someone who I could play with. But the prices are extortionate, Amazon is the cheapest I can find and it lists for £81!

Why is this game basically twice the price of other Uwe games? It's really frustrating as I know it would make a great present but cannot justify paying £80 as a present for it. I've never tried trading games on here but looked on the list here and there's no UK listings either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine a box about the size of the Agricola box, only twice of thick.

Now imagine it crammed full of boards, and chits, and storage trays.

That’s why it’s expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swfcdan wrote:
As a Uwe Rosenberg games fan, this would make a perfect christmas present for someone who I could play with. But the prices are extortionate, Amazon is the cheapest I can find and it lists for £81!

Why is this game basically twice the price of other Uwe games? It's really frustrating as I know it would make a great present but cannot justify paying £80 as a present for it. I've never tried trading games on here but looked on the list here and there's no UK listings either.

It has a big box filled with components (There's like 30 punchboards worth of chits!) and it weighs a ton, so it's more expensive than most Uwe games.

https://boardgamemonster.co.uk/p/feast-for-odin-english

says they have it at 75 pounds and 3 copies in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Venables
msg tools
Ok I see, thanks guys. But it does seem quite a bit cheaper to buy in countries like Netherlands and US, whats the reason for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hart
United Kingdom
Ripon
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Esdevium Games?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdkfz181 wrote:

Esdevium Games Asmodee UK?...

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bottoms
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would tend to agree it does seem to be a bit expensive in the UK especially considering it can be picked up in the US for the equivalent of around £50-£55.

I managed to get a copy of The Colonists for around £45, which is the same publisher and same sized box + ammont of components.

Perhaps this is due to the Colonists being a less popular game that A Feast for Odin and stock being sold off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Venables
msg tools
morningview66 wrote:
I would tend to agree it does seem to be a bit expensive in the UK especially considering it can be picked up in the US for the equivalent of around £50-£55.

I managed to get a copy of The Colonists for around £45, which is the same publisher and same sized box + ammont of components.

Perhaps this is due to the Colonists being a less popular game that A Feast for Odin and stock being sold off.

The Colonists looks interesting too. Where did you buy it from btw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morningview66 wrote:

Colonists is Lookout, Feast for Odin is Feuerland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bottoms
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
swfcdan wrote:
morningview66 wrote:

The Colonists looks interesting too. Where did you buy it from btw?

It's a good and also big game, I haven't been able to spend enough time exploring what it has to offer yet.

I got my copy from ChaosCards, they still have copies for £49. A bit more than I paid, but still a good price considering most places sell it for Feast for Odin prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bottoms
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shader10 wrote:
morningview66 wrote:

Colonists is Lookout, Feast for Odin is Feuerland.

Ah yes so your right Sir.
I forget Uwe Rosenberg doesn't just design for Lookout. Though weirdly Glass Road which is also Feuerland is published in English by Mayfair which is twinned with Lookout.

I wonder if ZMan or Mayfair now holds English publishing right for Feast for Odin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morningview66 wrote:

I wonder if ZMan or Mayfair now holds English publishing right for Feast for Odin.

It's Z-Man here in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Venables
msg tools
So do people feel Odin's worth the money? I'm definitely tempted despite the high price meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swfcdan wrote:
So do people feel Odin's worth the money? I'm definitely tempted despite the high price meeple

It’s a great game.

Much more open than, say, Agricola, in the sense that there is always something you can do, but still really tight, in the sense that you always want to do more than you can, all whilst ensuring you’re able to feed your vikings.

And it has the Tetris mechanic, from cottage garden, etc, but uses it in a slightly different way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bottoms
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
morningview66 wrote:

It's Z-Man here in the US.

I would expect it still to be ZMan then, however Glass Road, which is another Feuerland Game has transferred from ZMAN to Mayfair.

I have also seen a comment from Hanno Girke, saying ZMAN no longer have rights to any Lookout Games.

I wondered if Mayfair were trying to quite English rights to Uwe Rosenberg games.
Though with the current uncertainty over Mayfair future perhaps it's best if they haven't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swfcdan wrote:

Short answer: Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What price can you put on fun? ( Asmodee has the answer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.