Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I completed scenario 9 and looted the goal chest, which is required for victory. But, near as I can tell, the chest doesn't have anything in it? There's nothing in the scenario that indicates there's any bonus for looting it other than counting towards scenario victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goal chests don't contain anything. The flavor text usually describes what you're picking up, but it's for thematic context only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A goal chest is just that, a goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A goal chest with no treasure number doesn’t necessarily contain anything, and unlike numbered chests it is reset if you repeat the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Maxey
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
Please mark the title with "spoilers".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
h2odysee wrote:

This question, and the title, do not meet any of the criteria Isaac laid out here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1688250/please-read-request.... It's not an item, an event, a story point, etc. It doesn't list any scenario numbers or other numbers.

I get wanting to avoid spoilers, but the enforcement seems to be over zealous. I've even seen spoiler tags requested for things covered in clear view (not spoiler protected) in the FAQ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckessel wrote:
h2odysee wrote:

This question, and the title, do not meet any of the criteria Isaac laid out here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1688250/please-read-request.... It's not an item, an event, a story point, etc. It doesn't list any scenario numbers or other numbers.

I get wanting to avoid spoilers, but the enforcement seems to be over zealous. I've even seen spoiler tags requested for things covered in clear view (not spoiler protected) in the FAQ!

Actually, the question does list a scenario number (and hence contain a minor spoiler).

The thrust of the question: "do goal chests contain treasures or are they just empty markers?" is spoiler-free (and addressed in the rulebook) but "Do goal chests like the one in scenario # contain treasures or are they just empty markers?" is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckessel wrote:
h2odysee wrote:

In the text of his question he says which scenario it's about.
If he hadn't specified a scenario, it wouldn't be a spoiler, it would be a generic question. He did, so it's a very slight spoiler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But does it really spoil anything to know that scenario
Spoiler (click to reveal)
contains a goal chest? Scenarios contain chests. Scenarios have goals.

So the question is: Could knowing that a goal chest exists in a specific scenario affect your decision-making in any way?

I guess the answer is "Conceivably, yes." If you had to pick a new card to add to a pool upon leveling up, and you knew a goal chest existed in one of the next few scenarios, you could conceivably be short-sighted enough to pick the card that included loot over the other one.

So you guys are right, it contains an extremely small spoiler: that shouldn't affect anyone but the most short-sighted of players, who also happen to be leveling up and have a loot ability on one of their available cards while having unlocked but not yet explored scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
But does it really spoil anything to know that scenario
contains a goal chest? Scenarios contain chests. Scenarios have goals.

So the question is: Could knowing that a goal chest exists in a specific scenario affect your decision-making in any way?

I guess the answer is "Conceivably, yes." If you had to pick a new card to add to a pool upon leveling up, and you knew a goal chest existed in one of the next few scenarios, you could conceivably be short-sighted enough to pick the card that included loot over the other one.

So you guys are right, it contains an extremely small spoiler: that shouldn't affect anyone but the most short-sighted of players, who also happen to be leveling up and have a loot ability on one of their available cards while having unlocked but not yet explored scenario

Or players who are considering an item purchase might want to pick up something to boost mobility (to get to the loot more easily) or durability (to tank the enemies while getting the loot) now and pick up some other item they're considering next time they're in town...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
Or players who are considering an item purchase might want to pick up something to boost mobility (to get to the loot more easily) or durability (to tank the enemies while getting the loot) now and pick up some other item they're considering next time they're in town...

a) Durability is always useful.
b) Knowing there's a goal chest doesn't tell you that it's out of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Maxey
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
Reporting back, after requesting a spoiler warning. I've now completed this mission.

All I read was "I completed scenario 9", and inferred from the title "empty goal chest" that the chest was empty, and I was sent on a wild goose chase by Jeksera. Knowing that would encourage me to go to the warehouse instead.

Just letting you know my perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Maxey
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
The chest contained...

a diamond. The heroes sold it to Jeksera for 20 gold each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.