Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems pretty clear in the rules, but I want to ensure the intent is as written.

Page 14 - Each planet can only be part of one federation.

That seems to indicate that if a Lantid player builds on a planet occupied by another player, and that planet becomes part of a federation of the opposing player, the Lantid player is disallowed from using the same planet in forming a federation of their own.

Additionally, a Lantid player could really disrupt another player by building a mine on a planet with an opponent's high value building and using that planet in a federation of his own, precluding the opposing player from using it to form a federation.

Is the intent of the rule as written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Lantids - Forming a Federation Using "Double-Occupied" Planet
No, they are of different factions.

If the Lantids were allowed to use their Mine on a shared planet to prevent an opposing faction from forming a Federation on the shared planet, it would be incredibly disruptive to the game. This would basically be like an attack.

The rule should be written more like:

Quote:
Each planet and satellite occupied or owned by a faction can be part of only one Federation for that faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lantids - Forming a Federation Using "Double-Occupied" Planet
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
No, they are of different factions.

If the Lantids were allowed to use their Mine on a shared planet to prevent an opposing faction from forming a Federation on the shared planet, it would be incredibly disruptive to the game. This would basically be like an attack.

The rule should be written more like:

Quote:
Each planet and satellite occupied or owned by a faction can be part of only one Federation for that faction.

Do you know if a designer has addressed this since the intent contradicts the rule as written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was a lead play tester and edited the Automa rulebook. I’d be pretty surprised if Lantids were allowed to block like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for finding this! I am also not one of the designers, but the co-author of the rulebook and i can also assure you that James is correct and the special power of the Lantids includes that those planets can be part of up to 2 alliances, as long as they are by different players (the Lantid and the original building player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or to phrase it diffently: Each structure and satellite owned by a faction can be part of only one Federation (Note that the black planet counts as a Mine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
Or to phrase it diffently: Each structure and satellite owned by a faction can be part of only one Federation (Note that the black planet counts as a Mine).

*edit* Correct

That's not true though, (yes, it is, my bad - didn't pay enough attention - I was asking about planets, but your rewording to structures is more precise and likely the rule as intended) which was the point of my question. A structure planet can be part of multiple federations, but only once for each player. The written rule *regarding planets being restricted to one federation* contradicts the intended rule; likely just an oversight.

Thanks to those involved in development of this game for responding. I feel confident in your answers, and I suspect future printings will correct/clarify the written rules.

Amazing game, btw, but since Terra Mystica is my favorite game, loving Gaia Project probably shouldn't come as a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge1000 wrote:
SpaceTrucker wrote:

That's not true though, which was the point of my question. A structure can be part of multiple federations, but only once for each player. The written rule contradicts the intended rule; likely just an oversight.

Structures in terms of the rule are mines, trade centers, research labes, academies and planetary institutues. Each of them can be part of exactly one federation.
There can be two structures on one planet if Lantids with their special ability are involved.
Probably you misread sth. - the sentence is not wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:
That's not true though, which was the point of my question. A structure can be part of multiple federations, but only once for each player. The written rule contradicts the intended rule; likely just an oversight.

Structures in terms of the rule are mines, trade centers, research labes, academies and planetary institutues. Each of them can be part of exactly one federation.
There can be two structures on one planet if Lantids with their special ability are involved.

SpaceTrucker's sentence also works for me.

SpaceTrucker wrote:

To further clarify: Der Schwarm's/Ivits/The Swarm's Space Stations are considered satellites with a power value of 1, but do not create leech. The Black/Lost Planet and Space Stations can't occupy the same space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:
SpaceTrucker wrote:

I see what you're saying now. Correct.

I've been on my phone this morning and didn't pay enough attention to the change of terms in your statement.

The English rules say that a PLANET can only be part of one federation, which is wrong, and why I asked the question. A structure can never be part of multiple federations, so yes, your description rewords the rules concisely and accurately. My apologies for the...oversight. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.